ATT is disrespecting the sport

Jbraswell - Why does everybody get all dramatic about this? I mean, I can see how people are perhaps slightly disappointed that the fight isn't going to take place on precisely the expected terms, but it's not like people who miss weight are killing babies here. "Disrespecting the sport?"

If he had pushed, he probably could have made weight, but I imagine he decided that giving up 20% of his purse was a reasonable trade off to avoid the stress of further cutting. Perhaps a very reasonable decision, as far as we know.

If people think it's too much of a problem, they should up the penalties. Personally, I think fighters should have access to the scale for days leading up to the fight, but that there should be more severe, sliding penalties for missing weight, maybe somewhere between 0% and 90% of your purse, depending on if you're 0-5% over (with all of that money going to your opponent, btw, to recompense them for fighting you above the agreed upon weight).

In short, the guy is playing by the established rules of the game. If people don't like his choices, they should change the rules to further encourage choices that they like, not bitch about the guy who is simply abiding by the pre-established terms.

I think a lot of people get upset, because in a fight where the belt is on the line you must make weight, and if it were a one time thing I don't think so many people would be complaining. but this has been a problem for Alves over the last 4 or 5 years, its getting old.

Its also probably hindering his ability to fight for a title again, who wants a title shot when its not for the belt? Risky to give him a shot when he can't make weight.

I disagree that he's playing by the rules. He was fined because he's NOT playing by the rules.

For example, if I drive 20 over the limit and get a $200 speeding ticket, I can't reasonably say that I played by the rules. Quite the contrary.

sside maurice - I disagree that he's playing by the rules. He was fined because he's NOT playing by the rules.

For example, if I drive 20 over the limit and get a $200 speeding ticket, I can't reasonably say that I played by the rules. Quite the contrary.

Except when you pay your speeding ticket, you are seen as having paid your debt for your mistake.  Nobody says you're disrespecting driving.

Analogy olympics aside, Alves is too big to fight comfortably at WW.  The fact he was so close to weight shows he obviously made the strong attempt.  Think about it, if you were in his shoes and you were that close, would you just shrug and not bother?  He knows what it means to miss weight.  I'm sure he tried, but he's a hueg dued and he just couldn't lose that last bit.  There's only so much water in your body to get rid of reasonably.   I'm curious what his weight was before he started cutting.

Just Kidding - 

Except when you pay your speeding ticket, you are seen as having paid your debt for your mistake.  Nobody says you're disrespecting driving.

Analogy olympics aside, Alves is too big to fight comfortably at WW.  The fact he was so close to weight shows he obviously made the strong attempt.  Think about it, if you were in his shoes and you were that close, would you just shrug and not bother?  He knows what it means to miss weight.  I'm sure he tried, but he's a hueg dued and he just couldn't lose that last bit.  There's only so much water in your body to get rid of reasonably.   I'm curious what his weight was before he started cutting.

Its an ongoing problem with him though,
and even if you pay your tickets, if you get too many you lose you license.

Just Kidding - 
sside maurice - I disagree that he's playing by the rules. He was fined because he's NOT playing by the rules.

Analogy olympics aside, Alves is too big to fight comfortably at WW.  The fact he was so close to weight shows he obviously made the strong attempt.  Think about it, if you were in his shoes and you were that close, would you just shrug and not bother?  He knows what it means to miss weight.  I'm sure he tried, but he's a hueg dued and he just couldn't lose that last bit.  There's only so much water in your body to get rid of reasonably.   I'm curious what his weight was before he started cutting.<br type="_moz" /> 

He is not playing by the rules plain and simple. Fitch and Hughes both had to agree to let him fight over limit because he broke the rules. If they hadn't agreed to let him fight then he would have been disqualified. It is disrepectful to the sport, disrespectful to your opponent, disrespectul to the UFC, and disrespectful to the fans.

bignightmare - ^^^^but it was a half pound.

No matter how sucked up you are....if you contract to make it and your a half pound away at first weigh.........you should be able to make it. Thats pretty fucking lame he didnt lose anything. He either broke mentally or is a retard.

It sounds like his body would simply not shed any more water weight.  Weight cutting gets tougher and tougher the closer you get to your weight.  A lot of people say it was only a half pound.  No actually it was a half pound plus what ever he had already dropped.  Maybe 19 1/2 pounds, I don't know.  But the point is that the 1/2 pound is much more difficult to drop than the first 19 and in some cases, the body will simply not release that last bit of water.  Hall the last 1/16 of a pound is much more difficult that that half pound we're discussing.  

False. It's more like a blatant foul in basketball to prevent a goal, or a blatant handball in soccer to stop a goal. It's against the ethics of the game, but the rules allow for this type of gamesmanship. You roll the dice and take the penalty, betting that you prevented the other side from gaining momentum.

If they started forfeiting their entire purse, you know damn well they would be on weight.

Committing a blatant foul in basketball or an intentional handball in soccer is plainly NOT playing by the rules. By definition, a foul is against the rules. Sure, it's gamesmanship, and a strategic decision . . . but it's still against the rules. Something doesn't have to result in a DQ to be against the rules. There a range of penalties depending on the severity of the infraction.

Speeding also is a strategic decision, but "the rules" don't allow for it. A speeder decides to break the rules based on his determination that the time saved is worth the added risk.