ATTN: Jack Slack

First let me say, I love your articles and I hope you keep them coming. Since reading your articles, I've realized that I don't have a very good understanding of striking at all in mma. I thought the Diaz bros and BJ Penn were some of the best strikers in mma until you pointed out many of their flaws. Now it seems like every mma fighter is a bad striker that doesn't even understand the basics. I'm wondering who you think are the top five best strikers in mma and why? Phone Post

Mr. Slack I too would be interested. Phone Post

dude's got an issue with the Diaz's, has he ever written anything positive about them?

Matrixkick - 

Mr. Slack I too would be interested. Phone Post

Going strictly from his articles at Bloody Elbow, I'm going to say Machida and Anderson are somewhere in that top 5, with Fedor on there if it's a best of all time instead of currently competing.

32Hunter - dude's got an issue with the Diaz's, has he ever written anything positive about them?

Yes.

Link to the original article? Phone Post

32Hunter - dude's got an issue with the Diaz's, has he ever written anything positive about them?

"Nick Diaz is a wonderfully skilled striker, who uses combinations which most people wouldn't think possible..."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/21/3533810/ufc-carlos-condit-nick-diaz-judo-chop-mma-analysis

OP,

I'm going to take a wild guess and say GSP and Anderson will both make the list.

Jack,

Gegard Mousasi seems to be pretty controversial around here - many view him as a middling fighter while others think he would give Anderson problems. What do you think?

Jack Slack. I respectfully request that you leave Bloody Elbow. Selfishly, this would allow me to remove BE from my google reader feed. Your articles are the only content of value on that garbage fighter bashing site.

Bloody Elbow < recycled trash.

Also a fan of Jack Slack. Phone Post

He's not saying they aren't good strikers, he simply points out certain flaws they have that can be exploited. He's done the same thing with guys like Anderson Silva and GSP, who he has called the best boxer in mma and the most effective striker (with the threat of takedowns) respectively. Phone Post

Paging Mr.Slack Phone Post

mma shill - 

First let me say, I love your articles and I hope you keep them coming. Since reading your articles, I've realized that I don't have a very good understanding of striking at all in mma. I thought the Diaz bros and BJ Penn were some of the best strikers in mma until you pointed out many of their flaws. Now it seems like every mma fighter is a bad striker that doesn't even understand the basics. I'm wondering who you think are the top five best strikers in mma and why? Phone Post

I'm always reluctant to name the top strikers in MMA because everyone makes mistakes and errors. That's not just in MMA but in the highest levels of professional boxing and bjj. Nobody achieves perfection.

It's impossible to stay disciplined all the time, the greats are the ones who can stay discplined the longest. I consider Manny Pacquiao one of the most technically disciplined boxers of all time - in, moves his head, exits on an angle. But just the other day Marquez was able to catch him getting wild.

In truth there is a great deal of underemphasis on angling, handfighting and the actual science of striking in a lot of top level camps even in boxing and kickboxing. Fighting tends to be approached in a combinations and cover up way, with an emphasis on power and conditioning rather than science.

I suppose the criteria for best MMA striker from a scientific standpoint would be based in discipline and versatility. Guys who can adapt their style against anyone: like AS, GSP, Fedor when he was fighting. There's very few guys who can adapt their striking style to the opponent.

The next tier down would be guys who have a pretty samey striking game in every fight but still execute it flawlessly - like JDS, Aldo etc.

Then there's the guys who do the same thing in every fight but have had their flaws exposed already but can beat MOST guys with their A game like Belfort, Penn the Diaz brothers.

Jack Slack -
mma shill -  First let me say, I love your articles and I hope you keep them coming. Since reading your articles, I've realized that I don't have a very good understanding of striking at all in mma. I thought the Diaz bros and BJ Penn were some of the best strikers in mma until you pointed out many of their flaws. Now it seems like every mma fighter is a bad striker that doesn't even understand the basics. I'm wondering who you think are the top five best strikers in mma and why? Phone Post

I'm always reluctant to name the top strikers in MMA because everyone makes mistakes and errors. That's not just in MMA but in the highest levels of professional boxing and bjj. Nobody achieves perfection.

It's impossible to stay disciplined all the time, the greats are the ones who can stay discplined the longest. I consider Manny Pacquiao one of the most technically disciplined boxers of all time - in, moves his head, exits on an angle. But just the other day Marquez was able to catch him getting wild.

In truth there is a great deal of underemphasis on angling, handfighting and the actual science of striking in a lot of top level camps even in boxing and kickboxing. Fighting tends to be approached in a combinations and cover up way, with an emphasis on power and conditioning rather than science.

I suppose the criteria for best MMA striker from a scientific standpoint would be based in discipline and versatility. Guys who can adapt their style against anyone: like AS, GSP, Fedor when he was fighting. There's very few guys who can adapt their striking style to the opponent.

The next tier down would be guys who have a pretty samey striking game in every fight but still execute it flawlessly - like JDS, Aldo etc.

Then there's the guys who do the same thing in every fight but have had their flaws exposed already but can beat MOST guys with their A game like Belfort, Penn the Diaz brothers.

Cool Phone Post

Jack Slack -
mma shill -  First let me say, I love your articles and I hope you keep them coming. Since reading your articles, I've realized that I don't have a very good understanding of striking at all in mma. I thought the Diaz bros and BJ Penn were some of the best strikers in mma until you pointed out many of their flaws. Now it seems like every mma fighter is a bad striker that doesn't even understand the basics. I'm wondering who you think are the top five best strikers in mma and why? Phone Post

You are the man Jack. Your articles have really helped me understand striking more Phone Post

Jack:

TY sir. I am surprised VERY MUCH by your inclusion of Fedor here with his wide and somewhat wild boxing strikes. When did he ever alter that technique exactly?? And PLEASE how do you see the fight of PRIME Fedor and JDS playing out. IMO JDS with his seemingly superior boxing would have the advantage. What would Fedor do??

One would think you'd put Hendo who evolved and worked so hard on his boxing above Fedor. Per your GIF on your last thread which Showed Shogun eating the short straight right when trying for the lead upper cut in the first minute of the fight and your comments on Hendo's superior striking.

Lazer MMA -
Jack:

TY sir. I am surprised VERY MUCH by your inclusion of Fedor here with his wide and somewhat wild boxing strikes. When did he ever alter that technique exactly?? And PLEASE how do you see the fight of PRIME Fedor and JDS playing out. IMO JDS with his seemingly superior boxing would have the advantage. What would Fedor do??

One would think you'd put Hendo who evolved and worked so hard on his boxing above Fedor. Per your GIF on your last thread which Showed Shogun eating the short straight right when trying for the lead upper cut in the first minute of the fight and your comments on Hendo's superior striking.

Look at Jack's archives bloody elbow. He has a few articles on Fedor Phone Post

Has Jack posted the UFC on Fox 5 undercard analysis yet?

Jack Slack -

Jack, can you elaborate on head movement and footwork in mma? Fedor has great striking, doesn't mind staying in the pocket, and has an uncanny ability to be 5x moves ahead of his opponents to find openings to attack, but do you feel he has limited mobility that makes him susceptible to younger and faster competition? Also, and I know Arlovskei has had some rough years as of late, but what is your take on his striking?

Thanks! Phone Post