ATTN: Pro Ice, OnePunchJD, Rockwell, EatonBeever..

I have asked Eaton for the "OK" to do a tournament in between the current HW tourney being done by NHBGUY and the next tournament Eaton is going to do.  Still waiting on the green light, but, presuming there's no issues I'd like to get preliminary ideas going.

The idea is a "Limited Weight Gran Prix", an 8-10 man Tourney with limited rules (no eye gouging, no fish hooking), no time limits, and any weight from 135-169.

Any type of competitive sports attire would be allowed (wrestling shoes, Gi, Aoki Pants) and it would be held in a ring.

If you're interested, PM me or just put any ideas here and we can get this thing rolling.  I have a basic idea of who to include in the tournament but am open to any suggestions.

To the Death?

Invite Frank  Dux!

ttd

Sounds interesting!  I think discussing it here could be good, might get some good ideas from everybody.

My first question is did you want to include athletes from other sports, or just experienced mma fighters

Interesting, I love your guy's tournament threads Phone Post

Pro Ice -  Sounds interesting!  I think discussing it here could be good, might get some good ideas from everybody.

My first question is did you want to include athletes from other sports, or just experienced mma fighters

I think since it's a NHB tournament we can include anyone we want.

Here is a list of note-worthy fighters I am considering.

Shinya Aoki

Gilbert Melendez

Kid Yammamoto

Jose Aldo

Rumina Sato

Genki Sudo

Takanori Gomi

BJ Penn

Dominic Cruz

Uriah Faber

Eddie Alvarez

Jens Pulver

Marcelo Garcia

Royce/Royler Gracie

Hayato Sakurai

Frankie Edgar

Please feel free to include anyone you think would be a good addition as well as any interesting matchups.

Nice list , I noticed Sakurai and Royce are somewhat bigger than the rest, If they are being considered I think Pele should be too. 

I also think  Pequeno should be considered  (one of the greatest 145er ever to this point)

Maybe you could add Saitiev to the roster? I think think he'll have as much support as did Karelin in the Ultimate Ultimate tournament (probably deserved, given how much people have evolved since 1993) but it could still lead to some interesting discussion.

It really seems like the bigger guys would have an advantage here though, maybe it should be under 160lbs

Imo if you add guys like Royce, Sakurai, and Pele you could/should also include guys like Hughes and GSP who fight at same weight

Forgot about Pequeno, there was a time when he was widely considered the top 145er in the world. Awesome guillotine, if he got a hold of your neck, it was over.

If your looking for some old school guys you might also want to consider Mikey Burnett and Eugenio Tadeu. I don't know who I'd replace for them, but just a thought.

Heck if you want to go really old school, why not throw in Helio Gracie? He was definitely the right size. How much did Carlson weigh in his prime?

Since we're not limited to mma fighters, you could also throw in the greatest American wrestler of all time, Dan Gable(won gold at 149 lbs) or even Bruce Lee. That could make for some interesting discussion

Dan Gable is basically Zeus to any American wrestler so any poll with him in it could get very heated.

Dan Gable vs Helio Gracie anyone? I predict lots of internet rage on that one.

Gable vs Helio, that would be awesome, and adding Bruce Lee would definitely be interesting

Looks like it might have to be a 16 man tournament.  :)

nhbguy - 
Since we're not limited to mma fighters, you could also throw in the greatest American wrestler of all time, Dan Gable(won gold at 149 lbs) or even Bruce Lee. That could make for some interesting discussion

Sorry for a quick hijack, but I'm going to have to push back against this claim, nhbguy. While Gable might be, as you say in your next post, Zeus to American wrestlers, there are few high level wrestlers or wrestling fans who would say Gable is the BEST American wrestler of all-time.

He's definitely not the best college wrestler of all-time, that's Cael Sanderson. And I cannot buy any convincing argument that he was better or greater than Bruce Baumgartner (4 world Olympic medals; 2 golds; 3 time World Champion) or John Smith (6 straight Olympic or World golds; once tech falling his way through the world championships).

THAT SAID, his weight makes more sense than Smith (who wrestled at 136lbs in international competition) and his mentality is well suited for MMA. It is not unreasonable to say that Dan Gable was the most well conditioned, hardest working, and physically tough ATHLETE of the 20th Century. Such a pedigree makes him a threat to anyone.

I'm definitely interested in Helio Gracie now that the idea has been put out there.

wiggum - 
nhbguy - 

Sorry for a quick hijack, but I'm going to have to push back against this claim, nhbguy. While Gable might be, as you say in your next post, Zeus to American wrestlers, there are few high level wrestlers or wrestling fans who would say Gable is the BEST American wrestler of all-time.

He's definitely not the best college wrestler of all-time, that's Cael Sanderson. And I cannot buy any convincing argument that he was better or greater than Bruce Baumgartner (4 world Olympic medals; 2 golds; 3 time World Champion) or John Smith (6 straight Olympic or World golds; once tech falling his way through the world championships).

THAT SAID, his weight makes more sense than Smith (who wrestled at 136lbs in international competition) and his mentality is well suited for MMA. It is not unreasonable to say that Dan Gable was the most well conditioned, hardest working, and physically tough ATHLETE of the 20th Century. Such a pedigree makes him a threat to anyone.

You're right Wiggum, I suppose it was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I should have said something to the affect of the most admired American wrestler of all time. An apt comparison might be the Babe Ruth of wrestling. The Babe's records might have been broken and there are certainly players since then who were better skill for skill, but he still holds a place in the hearts of baseball fans as the Icon of the sport.

Would that be a better comparison?

nhbguy - 
wiggum - 
nhbguy - 

You're right Wiggum, I suppose it was a bit of hyperbole on my part. I should have said something to the affect of the most admired American wrestler of all time. An apt comparison might be the Babe Ruth of wrestling. The Babe's records might have been broken and there are certainly players since then who were better skill for skill, but he still holds a place in the hearts of baseball fans as the Icon of the sport.

Would that be a better comparison?

A perfect one!

He'd still be great in this tournament, too.

So I am pretty solid on having the following people involved-

Bruce Lee

Helio Gracie

Dan Gable

Marcelo Garcia

Manny Paquiao

Since it looks like you're going that route, which is great and will make for some very interesting discussion, you have to put Buakaw in there. Buakaw vs Pacquiao would be awesome.

nhbguy - Since it looks like you're going that route, which is great and will make for some very interesting discussion, you have to put Buakaw in there. Buakaw vs Pacquiao would be awesome.

Done!

Buakaw

Pacquiao

Bruce Lee

Helio Gracie

Dan Gable

Marcelo Garcia

Genki Sudo

BJ Penn

Now that this list has taken some shape, I'm thinking about leaving most modern MMA players out.  I think there should still be a few (Sudo, Penn) but for the most part I think since it's a NHB Tournament that the MMA players might be overly dominant.

Thoughts?

^ I think it'd be real cool to leave all the mma guys out, just go other athletes from other disciplines. This got brought up during the last tournament and I think it'd be great idea! 

Like you said the mma players would have a major advantage,  and would more than likely win the poles by a large margin