Austin Hubbard vs. Max Rohskopf

Taco Muncher -

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1274548216651005952

Translation : there's hype around this kid and I don't want this ruining a potential cash cow

1 Like

Let’s see how he does in this next fight or three. Will he be built up like Sage was or will be be thrown to the wolves to fight out his contract.

If fight fans would read up a little on Max’s story then they would know that he has come from a dysfunctional family and struggles with depression etc.

Robert Drysdale might know what makes Max tick and that Max may have just needed a push a little better than everyone else.

It all worked out though and the correct fighter won. Drysdale should not get fined or get in trouble though. Time to move on and look forward to Austin’s next fight!!

Max did quit and quit on himself but let’s be real, he took the fight short notice and should probably take some time off to re evaluate what he wants to do. Not that big of a deal especially since he took a short notice fight against a super tough guy

Robert Drysdale did his job perfectly as the coach and most likely knew that Max is a guy who had not seen much deep water being (5-0), was a self doubter and needed a push. He did his job as a coach.

While Mark Smith is probably the worst referee in the UFC overall, he did a good job tonight, in this fight and stopped it appropriately when the inspector told him too since you cannot throw in the towel. Max defeated himself with his own self doubt on the stool.

Get Max to a sports shrink ASAP and give him some time to heal up emotionally, learn to love himself and decide if he wants to move forward in MMA because from reading that article he came from a very broken home.

Guy is crazy talented but his worst enemy is obviously himself because Max did not really look that hurt from damage. To me, it looked like Max quit on himself but I do not fault him for this. I would never take a short notice fight against a super tough Austin Hubbard and 99.9% of MMA fans would not either.

He is super young and very talented and was only 5-0 in MMA.

Not sure Max will be back but honestly he made a fan out of me tonight for taking the fight short notice, in a matchup against a super tough way more experienced UFC vet.

For the record though, I was pulling for Austin and thought he was going to win due to his experience

From using Google, it looks like the corner can tell the inspector they want the fight stopped, who then alerts the referee to stop the fight which is what happened tonight. The towel cannot be thrown in the state of Nevada

Wayne Glamcock - 

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1274471524087427072?s=20

Pathetic.  I'm on Drysdale side on this one.  He tried to motivate him.

Max quit and needs to find a new line of work.

1 Like
On a SideNote -
Wayne Glamcock - 

you probably lose your breath from just walking to your bathroom... calling a fighter pathetic... if anything.. youre the coward. you wouldn't last 5 seconds in there. 

1 Like
knappster -
On a SideNote -
Wayne Glamcock - 

you probably lose your breath from just walking to your bathroom... calling a fighter pathetic... if anything.. youre the coward. you wouldn't last 5 seconds in there. 

You can’t exactly be surprised when Burgos and Emmet get praised for being so tough when another guy gets criticized for quitting like that, can you? Kid was a high level wrestler and wouldn’t even go out and try to lay on his opponent. Quitting between rounds without injury is pathetic. You can suck all the fighter dick you want and call every critic a fat pussy, but the reality is the guy just quit for no reason during the biggest opportunity of his life. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad person or a failure at life, but he should probably find a real job and move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoigNQe9rs

Kind of sad, seeing some of the reactions here.

Rohskopf is not a "quitter."

The guy was a D1 wrestler who won the ACC championship and had 5 pro fights, 1 ammy fight, and multiple grappling competitions before last night.

Any of you ever wrestle? Any idea what it takes to be good enough to get a college scholarship and then excel at the D1 level? 

The guy took a short notice fight and made weight. He was taking a beating and knew he had nothing left. His coach ignored his requests to call it. Go watch the Thomas Gifford vs. Mike Davis fight to see what can happen to a guy whose corner is run on high testosterone and low common sense. These fighters don't have to be beaten to a pulp to gain respect. When you're done, you're done, whether it's a tap to a sub or turtling up to take strikes until the ref calls it. I don't give a fuck that he called it between rounds. He deserves respect for getting in there in the first place.

Tug Dabone -

The guy was a D1 wrestler who won the ACC championship and had 5 pro fights, 1 ammy fight, and multiple grappling competitions before last night.

Any of you ever wrestle? Any idea what it takes to be good enough to get a college scholarship and then excel at the D1 level? 

The guy took a short notice fight and made weight. He was taking a beating and knew he had nothing left. His coach ignored his requests to call it. Go watch the Thomas Gifford vs. Mike Davis fight to see what can happen to a guy whose corner is run on high testosterone and low common sense. These fighters don't have to be beaten to a pulp to gain respect. When you're done, you're done, whether it's a tap to a sub or turtling up to take strikes until the ref calls it. I don't give a fuck that he called it between rounds. He deserves respect for getting in there in the first place.

Gifford was out from the bell and taking way more damage than Max. Max won the first round. He had a path to victory. Gifford had no chance. Very different circumstances . 

Card -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoigNQe9rs

Ariel is a whiny bitch

1 Like
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

Gifford was out from the bell and taking way more damage than Max. Max won the first round. He had a path to victory. Gifford had no chance. Very different circumstances . 

2 judges gave the first to hubbard and all 3 a 10-8 in rd 2 he needed a finish to win 

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
Wayne Glamcock - 

Yeah, he is not a fighter.

Best of luck in your new career.

Screen name checks out 

akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

2 judges gave the first to hubbard and all 3 a 10-8 in rd 2 he needed a finish to win 

Cool. He's a high level wrestler and submission expert who has already landed multiple takedowns in this fight. He wasn't taking a beating, he was tired. Corners have to talk guys through fatigue all the time. Drysdale was trying to save the kid from making a decision he's gonna regret for the rest of his life. Anthony Smith. Thomas Gifford. One of the female title fights. Recent examples of fights I would have stopped. They were taking career altering beatings. This kid was tired and wanted out mentally. You push a guy through that. I did it at my fight team practice yesterday for a few guys. There's honor in going back out there and taking your loss. The moral victory of surviving fifteen minutes. 

1 Like
knappster -
On a SideNote -
Wayne Glamcock - 

I'm starting to believe your just a troll. Especially with your comment on Robert.

RockTheVote - 
akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

Cool. He's a high level wrestler and submission expert who has already landed multiple takedowns in this fight. He wasn't taking a beating, he was tired. Corners have to talk guys through fatigue all the time. Drysdale was trying to save the kid from making a decision he's gonna regret for the rest of his life. Anthony Smith. Thomas Gifford. One of the female title fights. Recent examples of fights I would have stopped. They were taking career altering beatings. This kid was tired and wanted out mentally. You push a guy through that. I did it at my fight team practice yesterday for a few guys. There's honor in going back out there and taking your loss. The moral victory of surviving fifteen minutes. 

The problem is, he totally fucked the kid. Had he just stopped it the first time the kid muttered it under his breath, then commented briefly after about how he could see the kid had nothing left after taking the fight on 5 days notice, he wanted to protect his guy etc…we likely wouldn’t have even noticed, and the story line would be very different today.

Instead, it becomes about manhood, the video goes viral, and he’s defending his actions, which further buries the kid…and if you hear the way Dana defended the kid? Yeah, he felt as though the fight should have been stopped but was saying things like “sometimes you find out this game isn’t for you.”

So now not only did the kid lose, he looks like a mentally weak quitter who isn’t cut out for MMA instead of a kid who gassed out after taking the fight on 5 days notice and just dropped the second round 10-8 on all the cards.

Corners stop fights all the time, and it’s never a big story, definitely not for a prelim. Drysdale’s refusal made it a story, made everyone pay attention, and I’d be surprised if the kid gets another shot in the UFC anytime soon. Had he just stopped it when the kid asked? He likely gets another fight on a full camp after taking this on short notice.

Rickmassmma -
RockTheVote - 
akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

The problem is, he totally fucked the kid. Had he just stopped it the first time the kid muttered it under his breath, then commented briefly after about how he could see the kid had nothing left after taking the fight on 5 days notice, he wanted to protect his guy etc…we likely wouldn’t have even noticed, and the story line would be very different today.

Instead, it becomes about manhood, the video goes viral, and he’s defending his actions, which further buries the kid…and if you hear the way Dana defended the kid? Yeah, he felt as though the fight should have been stopped but was saying things like “sometimes you find out this game isn’t for you.”

So now not only did the kid lose, he looks like a mentally weak quitter who isn’t cut out for MMA instead of a kid who gassed out after taking the fight on 5 days notice and just dropped the second round 10-8 on all the cards.

Corners stop fights all the time, and it’s never a big story, definitely not for a prelim. Drysdale’s refusal made it a story, made everyone pay attention, and I’d be surprised if the kid gets another shot in the UFC anytime soon. Had he just stopped it when the kid asked? He likely gets another fight on a full camp after taking this on short notice.

You remember the pleading in DC’s voice during the first John Jones fight when he said he was trying to take him down, but couldn’t? Guy’s have mental weakness on the stool. Coaches push them through it. They want to quit in the gym. Coaches push them through it. Even if Drysdale talks the kid into going back out there and giving up his neck or rolling over and getting tko’d, he isn’t shamed by quitting that way. quitting on the stool? kid never comes back from it. ever.

how many times in a fight does a guy get dropped and shell up and turn away (asking for the tko, imo) and a coach says something that gets the guy to do something else? guys try to quit all the time. not usually verbally on the stool like this. but they quit on themselves all the time. one reason you need a coach is to push you through wanting to quit.

Rickmassmma - 
RockTheVote - 
akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

Drysdale did what the kid paid him to do. Drysdale tried to get the kid to not quit on himself.

How often have you seen a UFC fighter quit on the stool when he wasn’t seriously injured?

Not too many times.

Disagree? Please point out the times that UFC fighters quit on the stool when they weren’t injured.

Thanks

Rickmassmma - 
RockTheVote - 
akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

Drysdale did what the kid paid him to do. Drysdale tried to get the kid to not quit on himself.

How often have you seen a UFC fighter quit on the stool when he wasn’t seriously injured?

Not too many times.

Disagree? Please point out the times that UFC fighters quit on the stool when they weren’t injured.

Thanks

you guys are missing the point. The only reason we know he quit on the stool is because Drysdale wouldn’t stop it. I completely understand pushing him, I get it 100%. I trained MMA for years, used to be a personal trainer…I understand needing to be pushed, or to push people. However, he fucked his guy in this case because he made the guy as 9 times to stop it, and everyone (including Dana) now thinks the kid doesn’t belong. 

UFC lightweight Max Rohskopf (5-1), whose recent fight with Austin Hubbard (12-4) ended by second-round retirement and garnered widespread controversy, has issued his first public comments since his loss to The Body Lock.

“I don’t have anything to say except that all the decisions up to this point right and wrong have been mine and mine only. My manager and coaches did nothing but listen to me and do everything I’ve asked,” Rohskopf told The Body Lock in a text message.

https://thebodylockmma.com/ufc/max-rohskopf-comments-corner-controversy/

Rickmassmma -
Rickmassmma - 
RockTheVote - 
akbar87 -
RockTheVote -
Tug Dabone -

Not too many times.

Thanks

you guys are missing the point. The only reason we know he quit on the stool is because Drysdale wouldn’t stop it. I completely understand pushing him, I get it 100%. I trained MMA for years, used to be a personal trainer…I understand needing to be pushed, or to push people. However, he fucked his guy in this case because he made the guy as 9 times to stop it, and everyone (including Dana) now thinks the kid doesn’t belong. 

You are missing the point.  Nobody fucked that kid except himself.  It is 100% on him.