Barão: My opponents make more $$ than me; Pay ME!

Big EP -
Don_Dada - 

Renan Barao: $22,000 ($11,000 to show, $11,000 win bonus)

4 defenses in with two wins over Urijah, that is incredible.

Please tell me he's making those "locker room bonuses".

Better yet, don't. I'm so sick of that line. There is ZERO excuse for not paying a guy like Barao. Let the up and comers pad their accounts with bonuses. Phone Post 3.0

Barao is probably the guy that has the right to complain about pay over everyone. He's not a huge draw at the moment, like most non-English speakers who don't have the "it factor" (Anderson could have never spoke a word of English and would have still been a draw) but he is a dominate champion. He's earned his spot and he's earned the right to be paid the way a champion should. Phone Post 3.0

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
GregBell - See the problem here is Faber is 5x as marketable as barao IMO great fighter but yeah Faber at 157 he got the 2nd biggest "pop" to Rhonda. Casuals that don't even watch mma know Uriah mostly woman.
It still seems weird that the UFC doesn't make their champs the highest paid guys in their division. Phone Post 3.0

This

Who all does he mean ? Fabers the only obe i could at least understand. Guys a long time veteran & future inductee to dana whites HoF. But wineland/macdonald getting more? The championshould never be getting paid less then a challenger.

UFCs cheapness/genius business sense will be their downfall if this continues

Fastest growing sport they said Phone Post 3.0

zuffa should break the contract and offer a new one. atleast 100k/100k no one is beating barao right now

Johnny Mclain - 
Billyz - Simple for Barao - Learn English
It really is that simple help increase your drawing power in the states.
It is what it is. Learn to charm the American audience and you can take more money out of their pockets land the bigger sponsors.
Higher a PR firm get yourself on talk shows get your face out their.
Faber is or has very good people marketing him, hence his position popularity and in result financial rewards which prove a lower weight fighter really can make big money.
The majority of UFC events are in the US and belts are for the most part contested in the states or attempt to draw from the US market via PPV or Network. SOOOOO
you have to become marketable to the audience you most likely will fight in front of and make them enamored with you.
Barao's skill are without question but unfortunately that is not enough.
Why have so few fighters not followed the path of the fighters who found success.

Dress like a gentleman, get in line with the right brands and learn to interact with your audience.

For fucks sake just copy what GSP did. he was the biggest star in the sport in native country but realized he needed to do that in the US as well and he did. Hence why he is a multi millionaire.

you idiot.

The reason he is such a beast of a fighter is because he doesn't do anything but train and fight.
The sport is about fights not image.

11,000 is not acceptable for a fighter that has not lost in 8 years and has won 22 straight fights.

"Dress like a gentleman" ???
What is wrong with you?

are you really an 05er? you act like you started watching fights in 2016

Not exactly sure why my post would make me an idiot or my start date as a member has any bearing. Being as this is an MMA forum I'll just chalk it up to high testosterone fueled response

First to your points.
"He doesn't have time to do anything but train". That is why athletes hire a marketing or Pr firm to do the bulk of the work bringing in sponsors. Do you think GSP cold called Under Armour? No his management team set it all up and GSP showed up for the photo shoot, same as with all his other sponsorships as well. Hard to dispute GSP wasn't dedicated to his training yet still found time to make a few extra million on the side.

This is the fight "BUSINESS" which unfortunately many of our favorite fighters while having the fighting part of the equation in spades, lack severely in the business side.
If the sport was simply about fighting then no one would be paid.
Second his managerial team has to shoulder some of the blame for the money he makes. Why didn't they demand more? Why didn't they negotiate better on his behalf? Do you expect a raise all the time (sure it happens sometimes) or do you make a case support it and back it up by facts then present it to your boss.

Yes dressing like a gentleman IE wearing suits at public events and speaking somewhat eloquently relates to more marketability. As does the ability to communicate your story to a large percentage of your audience. Mohawks and dragon shirts with a bad attitude don't generally equate to large scale marketability. Nor does not speaking the language of the country your looking to make the majority of your money from.

Even Anderson struggled with this in America and he was the best fighter on the planet! Luckily for him he was a huge draw in his home country which increased his value and he was able to translate that into large sponsorships and endorsements oversees from the big boys like Nike and heck even Burger King. Plus he was a heavier weight fighter which always relates to higher pay in fight sports

Barao is a special fighter no question about it, but if he wants to maximize his earning potential he needs to work on it from a different angle NOT just his amazing fighting skills. Its the world he lives in.

And for the record I agree he should be making way more.

The excuse of him not speaking perfect English is bullshit. Same goes for Aldo. I've said it for a long time Zuffa pushes certain guys and gives two shits less about others with Barao and Aldo being two that get fucked by them.

They will continue to win and Dana and crew will continue to rub one out of the thought of Uriah winning a title which he never will. Phone Post

Johnny Mclain -
sherlock1988 - 
Madrugadao - Another low level fighter complaining because they are not making millions.

Work your way up the ranks Barao. Once you are champ, the big money starts rolling in.

Also, if you stop wrestling everyone to death and put on an exciting fight every now and again, you will (maybe) start to get cash thrown at you, in the form of the super secret (shitty reported purse justifying) bonus.
Lol Phone Post 3.0

Gotta pay Ronda and the Tuffers.

Barao might be the best fighter in history and they pay him dick.
How much dick?

I would fight for dick Phone Post 3.0

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - This is the guy with a real complaint about his money. Not the guys who've lost when they fight top 5 fighters demanding to be the highest paid guys in their division Phone Post 3.0
Yes. He definitely deserves more. However, Faber has more fans and is getting a cut of the PPV because of that. However, Barao is a killer and I wish that they would put him on a FOX card to showcase that. Phone Post 3.0

stanneh - I guess the UFC is no longer interested in having the best fighters. just the most marketable. If there was ever a time for another organisation to topple this empire it is now. all its going to take is 1 champion and a few contenders in any weight class to walk. you will see the rest follow if they are paid better.
All these guys have contracts that expire. Yet nobody offers them more. I think that the only fighters that have left and been paid more were Lawler and Hendo. Phone Post 3.0

Malvert the Janitor -
Big EP -
Don_Dada - 

Renan Barao: $22,000 ($11,000 to show, $11,000 win bonus)

4 defenses in with two wins over Urijah, that is incredible.

Please tell me he's making those "locker room bonuses".

Better yet, don't. I'm so sick of that line. There is ZERO excuse for not paying a guy like Barao. Let the up and comers pad their accounts with bonuses. Phone Post 3.0
I would like to know how much he is making. Is his actual complaint that he doesn't make enough or is it that Faber who isn't a champ makes more? Phone Post 3.0

RJJH -

I make more in 6 months than Barao did last year.

How much did Barao make? Phone Post 3.0

Madrugadao - Another low level fighter complaining because they are not making millions.

Work your way up the ranks Barao. Once you are champ, the big money starts rolling in.

Also, if you stop wrestling everyone to death and put on an exciting fight every now and again, you will (maybe) start to get cash thrown at you, in the form of the super secret (shitty reported purse justifying) bonus.
. Phone Post 3.0

Kyle Cooley - Faber is super popular. Barao, although one of the best, isn't quite as popular outside of Brazil. Not sure why people still don't understand this...
So fighters are paid on their popularity are they you fuckin blurt Phone Post 3.0

Wake up Barao, you're forgetting about the back room bonuses....oh wait, there aren't any.

RJJH -
dubate - 
RJJH -

I make more in 6 months than Barao did last year.

How much did Barao make? Phone Post 3.0

without the of the night bonuses, he mad 44K

I made 48K in the last 6 months.

So you don't know how much he made, just the minimum that they tell the commission and without disclosed bonuses. I didn't read the link, I thought maybe he said how much he made. Phone Post 3.0

RJJH -

he has made 300K in 3 years.

The minimum that he has made. I really wish that the fighters would say how much they make when they complain about pay. But after checking out the link, I think that he is counting Faber's money and is pissed that anyone makes more than him. Either way he is a beast and should be making at least 300k a year. Phone Post 3.0

Elyrain - Someone in his camp should really get him to learn english. Same thing with jose aldo, they would both earn 6-7 more figures per fight if he could do interviews in english. He basically isn't promotable here and we are the ones buying the ppv's. Phone Post 3.0

In PRIDE your salary didn't depend on how well you spoke Japanese. And quite frankly that shouldn't be a reason in UFC either. They don't pay you in NHL or NFL or NBA depending how well you speak english. It should be all about talent. And Champ should get big moneys.