and relieved to announce that Baret Yoshida's
instructionals are now on DVD. Thanks to everyone for
their patience, especially those who pre-ordered and
had to wait over a month. (Those were all sent out
about a week ago.) The DVDs came out very well, and
contain bonus footage on each of the 3 DVDs that was
not in the original VHS series. If you would like to
order, please go to www.jkdunlimited.com, and click on
"other instructionals" in the menu on the left.

Aloha!

"and contain bonus footage on each of the 3 DVDs that was not in the original VHS series."

Now thats not fair at all.

It's the wonder of the DVD format!

TTT for Baret!

Hey slysir,
We are going to do a special for anyone who
purchased Baret's tapes on VHS. Send me an e-mail at
jkdu@hotmail.com and we'll send you the info. This is
only for those who purchased through us, as we will be
able to verify with our records. Send me an e-mail,
Aloha!

mail sent sir

Mail sent back with the special. Aloha!

TTT

email sent also

thanks

don

Very nice. How much bonus material are we talking about? Technique, competition or rolling footage?

It would be nice if Baret could come online sometime and answer some questions people might have on this series or the Aruydo book/dvd combo.

off topic, who are baret's training partners in the live rolling segments
of the tapes? a lot of them don't seem to have much idea what they are
doing. i could be wrong -- the camera does lie sometimes -- but that's
just how it seems to me.

"Hey slysir, We are going to do a special for anyone who

purchased Baret's tapes on VHS. Send me an e-mail at

jkdu@hotmail.com and we'll send you the info. This is only for
those who purchased through us, as we will be able to verify
with our records. Send me an e-mail, Aloha!"

That is a super cool way to do business.

I imagine its hard to look very slick or skillful when you are rolling with Baret and he is doing his thing.

Baret makes very good grapplers look bad. ADCC 2003
was a great example. First three matches, he got on
the opponent's back, making it look easy. We all know
it is tough to get on Soca's back!

The bonus footage is about 5 minutes on each of the
three DVDs. One is Baret training the head and arm
guillotine, one is him teaching a De la Riva guard
counter, the last is him rolling at Eric Paulson's gym
after ADCC 2005.

If I had bought a VHS series, then it came out on
DVDs, I would want the DVDs. I wouldn't expect a
discount, but I would certainly appreciate it. We are
a very small business, and want to treat others the
way I want to be treated. Pretty simple. Aloha!

I didn't own the original vhs set but I am very happy with this DVD set.  Watching Baret roll is "poetry in motion" and I think the techniques he shows are good if you want to have a more aggressive game, especially from the guard.  What is clear from the instruction and the rolling footage is that Baret is teaching his game.  You can clearly see him using the same moves he shows on the instructional.

Now it seems to me that Baret is pretty uncomfortable in front of a camera.  He has some nervous habits while he is explaining techniques which would get on some people's nerves.  I am personally much more of a visual learner so the explanations of a technique are secondary to me actually watching it being applied.  I have also learned from Mike Jen to keep an eye on what any instructor actually does rather than says because many times they are not aware of the small changes they make to a technique when they actually apply it themselves.  If you are an audio learner, though, you probably won't like this set.

My favorite no-gi guard technique is the triangle/straight arm bar combo and this set is a must if you like those two moves.

thanks for the email and offer.  i'll be buying the DVDs

Don

Baret isn't very articulated, that's true. I'm pretty critical about instructional DVDs and have stated my honest opinion here.

Well, in the end it's really not that bothersome (at least to me). The thing is that you might need to view the tapes a few times to get the most out of them (and Baret's uncomfortable explanations). A visual learning style is definitely helpful but I don't think it's actually very necessary - Baret's teaching goes a long way and he gives out some great details verbally as well.

The best part about the (VHS) tapes is that there is not filler in them. It's all instruction, demonstration in real time or rolling. To top it off the techniques are not some cool gimmick techniques, they're the same game Baret uses in the sparring portion.

I generally prefer videos that have good, clear explanations.

With that said, I still very much enjoyed this series.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't stand watching a video that has "filler", or that has moves just designed to impress. Great observation that Baret teaches what he uses. We have been to many seminars together, and often he has commented that he liked some things, but he felt many moves taught were not really useful when going all-out against a high level opponent. Baret is all about high percentage moves and set-ups. Thanks again for posting those reviews. I'll let Baret know.