Bas Rutten's MMA Mount Rushmore

onepunchJD - 

All due hespect to Chuck…

I can’t see putting him up there.

He wasn’t even the best LHW of his era.

Maybe if it was UFC only… but not MMA as a whole.

Also, if it’s about bringing mainstream attention to the sport, did Chuck do more than Tito?

wiggum - 
onepunchJD - 

Also, if it’s about bringing mainstream attention to the sport, did Chuck do more than Tito?

Good question.

Honestly, it’s a little hard for me to gauge that.

I was already 100% on board before either of them. So Tito being on a video game or whatever, had no effect on me persoanlly.

Obviously, Tito did it first.

He was the poster boy.

So I would say he wins in terms of influence as the sport was growing.

And of course there was the Ken Shamrock fight, that apparantly everyone in the world was tuned in for (sheesh).

It’s a good question.

Tito because he was the poster boy first.

But from my point of view, Chuck might have had a longer, more sustained popularity.

His face, hair cut, etc make him easily recognizable.

From my perspective and people I encountered, Chuck was very well known relative to MMA fighters, among the general population.

Kirik -

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten appeared recently on MMA Junkie Radio, and was asked to comment on UFC president Dana White's choices for the MMA Mount Rushmore. White chose:

•Royce Gracie

•Amanda Nunes

•Jon Jones

•Chuck Liddell

El Guapo agreed, and disagreed.

“Royce Gracie, 100 percent – he needs to be the first guy,” said Rutten, as transcribed by Farah Hannoun for . “But the guy who made the UFC and made everything big is Dana White. Of course, he can’t put himself in. You can say whatever you want to say, but because of him, we all watch it. Because of ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ he came up with that idea and they did everything. People say they want more money. You can say whatever you want. But he’s the hardest working guy.”

“Chuck Liddell, but MMA – is it MMA in general? Then you’ve got to go Fedor, guys like that. How many more eyeballs did Conor McGregor put to MMA? Is he the greatest fighter with the submission losses? No, he’s not. He’s a very good fighter, but just because of what he did and how much attention he brought to MMA, does he deserve to be in it? Everyone is going to go, ‘You’re crazy.’ But really?”

https://youtu.be/7xWV72URt1k?t=1903

Bas’s Mount Rushmore

•Royce Gracie

•Dana White

•Chuck Liddell, or Fedor Emelianenko if you aren’t limiting to UFC

•Conor McGregor

What’s yours?

if it’s just fighters then it’s:

1. royce gracie (pioneer)

2. gsp (most complete and first of the more modern for conditioning, stategy, camps, etc)

3. fedor (most dominant in his prime, started losing it around the time of werdum though. should have retired)

4. mcgregor (most $, most popular, best understanding of marketing and social media).

instead of mcgregor, 

I could easily flip him with ronda rousey (popularized it for femailes and casual fans)

frank shamrock (one of the most exciting champions over different weight and one of the first to bring sports science in and conditioning). 

anderson silva (as dominant as fedor but shorter run and smaller opponents, the roy jones of mma). 

randy couture (old man strength)

gina carano (first popular mma champion, transitioned to movies). 

jose aldo (dominant for a looooong time; a complete fighter). 

yusul -
Kirik -

UFC Hall of Famer Bas Rutten appeared recently on MMA Junkie Radio, and was asked to comment on UFC president Dana White's choices for the MMA Mount Rushmore. White chose:

•Royce Gracie

•Amanda Nunes

•Jon Jones

•Chuck Liddell

“Royce Gracie, 100 percent – he needs to be the first guy,” said Rutten, as transcribed by Farah Hannoun for . “But the guy who made the UFC and made everything big is Dana White. Of course, he can’t put himself in. You can say whatever you want to say, but because of him, we all watch it. Because of ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ he came up with that idea and they did everything. People say they want more money. You can say whatever you want. But he’s the hardest working guy.”

“Chuck Liddell, but MMA – is it MMA in general? Then you’ve got to go Fedor, guys like that. How many more eyeballs did Conor McGregor put to MMA? Is he the greatest fighter with the submission losses? No, he’s not. He’s a very good fighter, but just because of what he did and how much attention he brought to MMA, does he deserve to be in it? Everyone is going to go, ‘You’re crazy.’ But really?”

Bas’s Mount Rushmore

•Royce Gracie

•Dana White

•Conor McGregor

What’s yours?

2. gsp (most complete and first of the more modern for conditioning, stategy, camps, etc)

3. fedor (most dominant in his prime, started losing it around the time of werdum though. should have retired)

4. mcgregor (most $, most popular, best understanding of marketing and social media).

instead of mcgregor, 

I could easily flip him with ronda rousey (popularized it for femailes and casual fans)

frank shamrock (one of the most exciting champions over different weight and one of the first to bring sports science in and conditioning). 

anderson silva (as dominant as fedor but shorter run and smaller opponents, the roy jones of mma). 

gina gershon (first popular mma champion, transitioned to movies). 

Gina Gershon? 

InspiritMick -

I just don’t get the Chuck thing. Putting him above Shogun is frankly a joke and I loved Chuck as a fighter, he was part of that era, that group, Hughes, Gomi, A Silva Penn, Couture, Wand, the Nogs a few more That will always be my favourite era. Mount Rushmore though, no way. 

it’s got to be Royce and Saku, then probably one from Pride one from UFC so I guess Fedor and GSP 

I think it was because Chuck was the first guy in the sport to have mainstream star power in America. He was literally the only fighter casual fans knew for years.

Heck, Andy even dressed as him on Halloween and Chris knew who he was (Parks & Rec episode)

MasterofMartialArts -
bungee up -
MasterofMartialArts -

I don’t disagree with him at all, in terms of what Mount Rushmore is supposed to represent. He chose people who each took the sport to the next level. 

I've carefully considered you're point (seriously) and no. just no.

Nunes should not be on the list ( for dana )

I could go on and on as to why but im not going to. Fuck that.

As far as bas's picks.  Intresting take having dana on it but fuck that as well. I could go on and on about why for different reasons. 

Each to their own though.  It's just a opinion. 

Cant go to far wrong with mandibal claws pics.

What's up with allan Belcher  lol

I don’t care for Dana’s picks and was more paying attention to what Bas was saying. I prefer to have all fighters there but I’m open to the conversation of BLAF being there as well. If not for him and the Fertittas, who knows where the sport would be. 

I posted late right before bed so didn’t really give my own picks much thought, but was just saying I’m okay with who he picked and his reasoning behind it. 

At first thought, my picks would likely be: 

Royce 

Chuck 

Fedor 

GSP

I appreciate you insight mate. 

As an Australian i didn't even understand what mt Rushmore represented.  

As a lot of people, i tend to immediately think of GOAT when thinking of the mt Rushmore.  Which thank's to you, i had a different perspective. 

In a nutshell , i could make the claim that both dana and Nunes have set MMA backwards.   As a NET they haven't admittedly ,but in some respects they definitely have.  Therefore they should be scrutinised way more.

onepunchJD -

That was before my time.

Whonqas it back then.   I’m pretty sure you’re going to say shogun.   

Hendo 

Rampage 

Little nog

Educate me brother 

Tito Hendo Rampage and bigfoot

I have the biggest and best mount Rushmore. 

DiscipleDojo -
InspiritMick -

I just don’t get the Chuck thing. Putting him above Shogun is frankly a joke and I loved Chuck as a fighter, he was part of that era, that group, Hughes, Gomi, A Silva Penn, Couture, Wand, the Nogs a few more That will always be my favourite era. Mount Rushmore though, no way. 

it’s got to be Royce and Saku, then probably one from Pride one from UFC so I guess Fedor and GSP 

I think it was because Chuck was the first guy in the sport to have mainstream star power in America. He was literally the only fighter casual fans knew for years.

Heck, Andy even dressed as him on Halloween and Chris knew who he was (Parks & Rec episode)

That’s looking at the sport very differently as it’s star power only in the US. Even when Chuck was fighting he was comparatively far less of a global star than Shogun and Wand. . He went to Pride UFC hasn’t crossed over but Pride had on a global scale, comparatively at the time 

if we asked this question 15 years ago it would have been Royce, Wand, Saku and Fedor 

bungee up - 
onepunchJD -

That was before my time.

Whonqas it back then.   I’m pretty sure you’re going to say shogun.   

Hendo 

Rampage 

Little nog

Educate me brother 

Chuck was the best LHW in the UFC and had a great run.

He fought in Pride and beat Overeem, then got worked over pretty bad by Rampage.

It wasnt a close fight.

Just a bad matchup for Chuck.

I highly recommend watching those Prode tournaments.

Fun part was, Dana White was there and had placed a huge bet on Chuck to win the whole tournament.

He was ringside commentating for the Chuck/Rampage fight – and without spoilers – you could hear his frustration as his guy was losing and his money was going bye bye, LOL!

The finals was a highlight finish of Wanderlei Silva over Rampage.

Those 2 matched up very well, and would fight again resulting in another highlight finish.

Rampage was probably the 3rd best LHW in Pride of that era, behind Wand and Shogun.

Hendo fought at middleweight and LHW.

He had 2 great fights with Wandy, going 1 and 1.

Also had a very close fight with Rampage.

Harder to accurately rank Hendo specifically at LHW, because he bounced around weight and promotions.

But he is certainly on the short list himself.

At the time, Pride was just much more stacked at HW and LHW.

Nothing against Chuck though.

He had one of the great UFC runs.

1 Like
46and2 -
yusul -
Kirik -

•Royce Gracie

•Amanda Nunes

•Jon Jones

•Chuck Liddell

Bas’s Mount Rushmore

•Royce Gracie

•Dana White

•Conor McGregor

What’s yours?

instead of mcgregor, 

gina gershon (first popular mma champion, transitioned to movies). 

Gina Gershon? 

lol. was 1/2 awake when i posted. carano. although i think gershon likes mma. 

Royce, Fedor, Anderson & GSP with honorable mentions to Chuck, Saku, Wanderlie, Jon Jones, and Frank Shamrock. 

Hendo is needed.

Georges St-Pierre

David Loiseau

Patrick Côté

Nick Ring

Depends on if there are defined parameters for "Mma's Mt Rushmore". 

If someone wants to define their parameters and get my answer, simply tell me the guidelines and I will follow suit.

Without any parameters given, my four would be-

Royce Gracie

Fedor

After that I have to think

First fighter that came to mind was Khabib.  But Khabib didn't fight often, and his management avoided hard fights majority of his career, so pass on him for now.

2nd fighter I thought of(after Khabib), was Sakuraba.  His career was great, but in hindsight how legendary does it hold up?  Saku's career is more of a "you had to be there" and it's hard to put a "had to be there, had to witness it" fighter on there. 

Ronda?  Hell no

Amanda? See above

McGregor? Hell no.  Rarely fights, picks and chooses, rarely fights.

Dan Henderson?  Yes.  Yes. 

Anderson?  Failed drug test. Cannot in good conscious put him there. But what about Royce?  Royce was away from the game and his positive test came long after what he accomplished.

I am surprised, but I can only think of 3.  Royce, Fedor, and Hendo.  

Real question, is there a movement in America to remove the faces from Mt Rushmore?

-Royce

- Frank Mir

-GSP

-Jon Jones

Royce, Fedor, Anderson, Jon Jones.