Bent Rows: Which Way???

In my time training i've heard more variations on how to do a row than i ever wanted to. I've heard the body should be at 90 degrees, 45 degrees, and 30 degrees. That the legs should be straight and that they should be bent. That the barbell should come to the waist, the upper abdomen, and to the nipples.

Is there any sort of consensus on how a Bent row should be done? Because i'm really at a loss to what exactly an author or writer means when they talk about bent rows these days.

Just pick one and get as good as you can at it. Get strong.

Im sure someone on here is gonna want to complicate it though.

You should be lifting the weight straight up.  Where that will land depends on your stance.  The stance you choose is depends on the muscle group which you want to target.  The more straight you stand, the higher up on the back you will be targeting.

The answer to your question depends on what you want to target.  If you don't have a particular target area in mind, then listen to Jeremy.

With that said, doing this while standing straight up would be an upright row, which targets your traps.  Doing it bent over at 90 degrees would be very similar to a seated cable row which targets the middle back.  I have always considered bent over rows as an exercise to work my middle back, so my stance would be at least a 45 degree bend.  I wouldn't do a 90 degree depend as long as there was a station for seated cable rows around, since I would just do seated cable rows.  I have always considered bent over rows a good way to work the middle back from a different angle than seated cable rows, hence my 45 degree bend (which lands the bar just below my pecks).

^^^ Told ya ;)

what, no mention of which way your hands face on the row? What sort of serious barbell rower are you?

jeremy hamilton - ^^^ Told ya ;)

Yeah, why would he bother actually answering the guys question when your answer was so VERY informative.

Most of the time I'm bent over enough that I can place the weight on the ground when my arms are straight.

It is good to change the angle every now and then. Don't be one of those guys who stand almost completely upright, moves the bar 2 inches and looks like they are humping it.

They're all different "types" of rows. I personally like the Pendalay row seems more for 'strength' to me. Like the earlier poster said.

Pick one. Get strong at it.

Wet - 

Yeah, why would he bother actually answering the guys question when your answer was so VERY informative.

lol im sure he got a lot out of his post. 90 degree bends and 45 degree bends, but dont do one of them if there is a seated row.

If HULC knew none of this you know what he would do? He would pick one and get strong at it. Now hes looking in the mirror with a protractor to make sure hes the proper angle or hes scratching his head if theres a seated row machine there.

^ this. "Yates rows" feel natural. Don't turn them into a shrug, of course.

jeremy hamilton - 
Wet - 

lol im sure he got a lot out of his post. 90 degree bends and 45 degree bends, but dont do one of them if there is a seated row.

If HULC knew none of this you know what he would do? He would pick one and get strong at it. Now hes looking in the mirror with a protractor to make sure hes the proper angle or hes scratching his head if theres a seated row machine there.

LOL - now that was funny!