Best Gi's

Also, with respect to the Atama gi, their Mundial 10 model, it’s a shame that they wrote something corny on it because it’s otherwise very nice, imo.

1 Like

I think the Keiko gis are really good looking. They aren’t completely plain but they are on the understated side, which I like. They are tasteful. The quality and feel is great. And Paula is awesome to interact with.

1 Like

I have The Path Gi from Origin Main. The logo on the back between the shoulder blades is small and unobtrusive and no other markings on the arms. I did get the pro pants, which are a different material and don’t completely match but doesn’t look bad. I don’t think I’d upgrade the pants again if I purchased again.

I had mine in 2 weeks from the date of order. Got the belt too which is the best part.

I went on Atama USA and I didn’t see anything available.

I got an HCK unbleached single weave (for $50 USD) when I was a blue belt in 2000 and I wore it a few times per week until 2014. It was by far the best kimono I’ve ever had. Sadly, they stopped making them.

1 Like

I have used many brands since I started BJJ. But Elite Sports has looked more fascinating than any brand. They have a nice quality of the products. And they provide products with amazing quality products in mid-range without compromising on the standard.

trendy and annoying and lately their offerings look like car crashes but shoyoroll is so soft…

I had an A&P before and sold it because the skirt was too long but recently bought another one (because shoyoroll lately looks terrible) and I love it. I do think AP has the nicest looking gi’s around.

I also have some Hyperfly. Well built but less comfortable than the others I mentioned

Ive been training since 2001 in 5 different Atama gi , On the Mat, Lucky Gi ( Lovato jr.) Edition, Nogueira gi, HCK gi, Dracao gi, Fiji gi, …and not one fit …and now that i am older…they still dont. I actually had to alter the pant length to compete IBJJF tourney …sucks being 6 '4 and 205…so on the bucket list to find nice gi that fits…

I have a Moya and an Origin. Prior, I had whatever GB uses

The Moya is solid but the Origin is way better. The pro pants alone are worth the cost of admission. And the top fits perfectly, dries incredibly fast, and feels good. I have a limited July 4th drop they did a couple of years ago but it is basically the same as their rift.

No experience with their other tops, I am sure they are good, but absolutely spring for the pro pants

Isn’t Origin insanely expensive

That’s pretty subjective

I paid $200 or $225, I forget. And it’s sourced and made in America.

Is it more than a $50 Elite gi off Amazon? Sure

Is it far and away the most expensive gi on the market? No

Is it worth it? Up to you. I buy mostly made-in-America stuff (American Giant, Wesco, Darn Tough, etc) so it falls in line for me. But I understand those who feel differently

3 Likes

Fushida is the best made gi, hands down. Their comp GS and RS were +and are) tanks. I still beat the hell out of my CompGS and I bought it like ten years ago

Kingz is the best in-stock brand. I just wish they would expand their weaves to include gold weaves. Everything is basically some version of 375 to 500 gsm pearl weave. Not bad, but they should expand their offerings with gold weaves IMO.

93 brand is very good, consistent. Decent gis at a good price and you will often find their gis on sale in BJJHQ. Their combate gold weave was the perfect gi.

Shoyoroll is pretty good, their sizing changes somewhat from batch to batch. They’re OG in the gi game. Their DLUX gi was probably the best one they’ve ever made but they didn’t start their A2L sizing at that time. Their A2 was that too short and their A3S was too big.

Scramble is pretty good as well. I have their sengoku, a very solid offering. I like that they dabble in gold weaves from time to time.

In general, I like gold weaves more but they’re harder to find.

1 Like

Dude, you are long and a bit on the thin side. You should try Keiko. They are cut that way. I love Keiko gis but I have to get mine altered because I’m square (5’10 - 200). You are an A4. They are having their annual Brazil Day Sale. It’s their biggest discount of the year. Their Limited Gi, the one you should get, usually goes for $160 but it’s $100 right now.

Limited Series Kimono (Gi) - White – Keiko Sports USA (keikousa.com)

1 Like

It’s crazy for me to hear that SYR is considered an OG in the game…

2 Likes

This. I feel like atama and koral were the only options when I first started. Atama had a good gi for like $60.

When I started, everyone just wore judo gis as there was no other choice. The first real BJJ kimonos I saw were Krugans. I never owned one, but when I rolled with someone who was wearing one, it felt as though they were wearing fleecy soft pyjamas. Then others came along like Dragao and Machado and Atama and Ouano and HCK. I’ve had almost every brand, and now I have gone back to judo gis again.

3 Likes

Is koral even still around? I feel like I haven’t seen them in forever. I remember when I ordered my first atama gi in 02. Called the number listed on the website and the guy asked my height and weight and had it shipped to me in two days. Whoever I talked to was helpful and sounded like he was a one man operation in California.

That’s interesting. What do you prefer about the judo gi for bjj?

I wear an old model of bjj gi and I think it’s more like a judo gi than today’s gis. I think bjj gis have continued to evolve over the years, away from judo gis. My gi is pretty heavy and it has big sleeve openings.

Last I checked they are still going, but I think it’s going in Brazil, and it doesn’t get distributed to the USA. Not sure about Europe and other places. I like them a lot. I had a couple.