Better fighter/résumé at LW- Charles or Dustin?

Dustin- 14-4 at LW, key wins Eddie Alvarez, Justin Gaethje, Michael Chandler

Charles- 16-5 at LW, key wins, Justin Gaethje, Dustin Poirier, Michael Chandler, former LW champion

Head to Head winner: Charles by RNC in Rd 3

• Dustin Poirier
  • Charles Oliviera
0 voters
1 Like

67% Olivera?? In terms of wins over top tier competition Dustin has one of the most impressive resumes in MMA history, period. Not just LW. No doubt he shit the bed on his title fights but it’s definitely more impressive than Olivera. The UG has officially died. This poll proves it

6 Likes

Charles winning the belt and finishing Dustin in their one and only fight gives him the edge.

5 Likes

Most of the same wins + a head to head win. How is that even close?

Charles would run through BSD, who is the reason for Dustin’s recent hype. He wouldn’t get dominated for a round and a half.

80%-20% I. Favour of Do Bronx

As it should be

1 Like

Even comparing them from 2019

Poirier beat
A retired multi multi millionaire drug addict that sleeps in satin pajamas/sheets X2
Dan hooker , who is not top 10 material as we know,
Then beat a green guy ranked no 13-15 that was on anti biotics and nowhere near 100%

Then compare that to Do Bronx

No Way Basketball GIF by NBA

3 Likes

These are my thoughts

Otherwise I’d say Dustin’s resume is better.

1 Like

Dustin is known for exciting fights but he likes to feel things out in the first, get his nervous energy out

BSD knew that and exploited it very well.

Oliveira doesn’t have that problem.

BSD had Dustin down in the second round, working him over the same as the first. I want to say he even had mount, eventually losing position by chasing submissions. Not enough GNP to set up the submissions. Or just GNP to chase a TKO. I feel he would beat Dustin more often than not, especially now that he will have learned from those rookie mistakes.

Oliveira, on the other hand, is a stylistic nightmare for BSD. That’s not someone he would want to see on the ground and on the feet he would be in danger of getting KTFO at all times.

1 Like

Resume is entire body of work. You selectively trimmed off part of one of the best runs in LW history. And right below that was a NC against Eddie that Dustin was putting a beating on him as well as a close to prime dangerous Jim Miller.
Olivera is great, I’m not hating on the guy at all, and if a person wants to say his resume is better due to a head to head finish, I won’t debate that bc there’s logic.
But to say it’s not even close bc of a
screen grab where you deliberately left out this chunk is looney. Olivera was completely obsolete not too long ago even though he had been fighting in the UFC for years…. Poirier has fought nothing but killers for a decade.

4 Likes

But yet Charles almost the same win percentage at LW

1 Like

He beat Chandler in his second UFC fight for the belt that Khabib vacated. Dustin has a finish over Chandler also.

Oliveira has ZERO wins over current or former UFC LW champs. Dustin has 3 (4 if you include Holloway). If you want to count Chandler since he was a former Bellator LW champ, that’s fine, but then you gotta add one more to Dustin’s resume too.

Dustin - 4 (5 if you include Holloway)
Charles - 1 (Charles has a loss to Holloway)

Oliveira has multiple 2 fight loss streaks. Dustin has none.
Oliveira has worse losses overall.

Dustin’s resume is clearly superior, but of course the UG is emotionally biased, and OP’s pretzel logic automatically assumes Charles’ resume is superior just because he has a win over Dustin and “a ReAL beLt bEcUz hE bEEtEd cHaNDLeR!”. But that’s not how reality works.

FightMatrix points system has it correct (removes emotional/favoritism bias):

4 Likes

The only reason BSD got top position at any point in the fight was because Dustin went for 3 finishes with guillotines. BSD didn’t even get a single clean take down of his own, and Dustin got up relatively quickly each time.

BSD got schooled the entire fight with his only advantages coming off Dustin’s aggression and submission attempts - 2 of which were pretty close.

1 Like

Since you responded to my post, I’ll point out I stated facts – Charles was the UFC lightweight champion and is 1-0 vs Dustin.

Whose resume do you think Dustin would rather have?

Based on his comments I think he’d choose the resume that has UFC champion on it.

4 Likes

None of that matters. Dustin’s OVERALL RESUME is still superior.

We are talking about RESUMES, not a single fight for a belt.

2 Likes

Ya I get that. Obviously no one would say Dennis Hallman has a better resume than Matt Hughes, right?

To me being the #1 fighter in the UFC at his weight class gives Charles the nod. Dustin can’t say he was ever the top guy. Even he doesn’t give the interim belt much merit.

That’s not taking anything from Dustin he’s a legend.

2 Likes

It may be true that BSD didn’t get any clean takedowns. I don’t remember. It doesn’t matter how he got there in any case - he still completely dominated when he did get there.

almost 5 minutes of total control in a fight that lasted 7:32

BSD was also like a bat out of hell on the feet, which is where most of these strikes happened.

He was all over Dustin in both areas. Way overly aggressive, which is what got him caught (definitely far from schooled though).

Bro, you’re not the “top guy” because you beat a UFC newcomer in a fight for a Khabib vacated belt. Islam proved that 2 fights later - and Dustin almost proved it in the first round of their fight. Charles’ belt was a gift from Dana and the matchmakers. At least Dustin actually fought Khabib.

If Charles was the “top guy” after beating Chandler, then Poirier and Gaethje were both “top guys”.

Agree’d with this, 1-0 over Dustin AND held the belt. Beat the 1-5 guys. Pretty impressive

BSD did no damage to Dustin on the ground though, and Dustin was willing to go there for the submission. Maybe not the smartest game plan in hindsight but Dustin himself even stated he’ll never stop looking for submission finishes. He’s a fucking warrior.

Just look at those striking stats - the accuracy and domination is clear.

Dustin’s defense paired with his striking accuracy tells the tale of that fight.