Better prep for MMA...Freestyle or Folkstyle wrestling?

You think this man is a fake wrestler?
images.jpeg-1

2 Likes

duh we both know pro wrestling is fakeā€¦Angle happened to do real wrestling prior to fake

Iā€™ll never understand why some people feel the need to say ā€œIts fake!ā€ whenever pro wrestling is mentioned. No shit Sherlock. Do you also stand up in the middle of movie theatres and tell everyone how star Wars or the Avenger is fake? Smh.

3 Likes

duh because u suggested learning from fake pro wrestling than real wrestling Why would u learn from pro ( fake ) instead of real ( amAture ) who would u bring up pro wrestling when talking about freestyle or folk ? thats why

What forum do you think this is? :laughing:

mma forum the question on this thread is better prep free or folk style and u bring up Pro thats why I had to point that out duhhh

Duh duh duhhhhh

Yeah, we get it. You learned a new word.

Where did you wrestle at?

Huntington High best team in NY history

1 Like

why u bring up pro wrestling and try compare Thats why i said duhhhhhhhh

Are you having a stroke or intentionally trying to sound like captain caveman?

I was going to make fun of you, but i liked Lou Giani so i take it back. No hard feelings.

1 Like

intentional

Coach Giani just passed last year one of the best everā€¦ HHS named the gym after him .Probly the most successful HS coach in NY history But a hard ass sob.I apologize as well for being a dick

2 Likes

Hahha - thank you for addressing the UG Chael:

1 Like

This is the closest Iā€™ll ever be to being famous. Thank you Chael

While I sort of addressed Greco in a comment above, reasons I left it out were two-fold:

1. First - and most simply and lazily - I left it out b/c I just assumed that most people would dismiss it anyways.

2. What I was really getting at with the question was the difference in wrestling ā€œapproachā€ vs. allowable techniquesā€¦Let me explain what Iā€™m trying to say. While Folkstyle and Freestyle share more in terms of stance and techniques utilized*, Greco/Freestyle - due to the rules and system - place a greater emphasis on stand up wrestling and HOW you get someone to the mat whereas Folkstyle due to scoring has a greater emphasis on mat wrestling. And with all this, even on the ground, MMA wrestling starts to look much different than mat wrestling in either folkstyle or the olympic disciplines.

@gordash2004 brought up a good point about the main attacks for wrestling in MMA IMO.

*I state that freestyle/folkstyle have more techinques in common VERY loosely, as Greco/Freestyle permit throws and hand lockings that arenā€™t permitted in Folkstyle, so in some ways Greco/freestyle have more in common from a technique standpoint that freestyle/folkstyle.

1 Like

Freestyle also has doubles?

The success of the fighters from the Caucasus region probably puts to bed my old belief that folkstyle is superior. It seems that it goes: (1) Folk/Free; (2) Greco.

1 Like

Ya, the takedown game (leg attacks) is basically the same between free/folk but the emphasis on exposure in free vs holding an opponent on his back in folk, begin to separate the two styles in terms of mma effectiveness Rickson accent

Scoring from defensive positions in freestyle like chest wraps, locking up the crotch, variations of front headlock rolls, score points in a freestyle match but do absolutely nothing to gain an advantage in a fight.

The highest percentage escape in college wrestling is a variation of a stand up, which is the highest percentage escape in MMA as well. (by escape Iā€™m referring to resetting to a neutral position once taken down)

Freestyle wrestling does not emphasize standing up to escape, instead a freestyle dude tries to base out and not get turned, this will get you beat up in a fight.

Even though Khabib and his boys are coming from freestyle backgrounds, their actual mma wrestling is more of a hybrid of a few different ninja arts.

I really think one of the hardest areas to become really proficient in folkstyle wrestling is the top position, riding an opponent out, smothering a dude, relentless top pressure, Khabib style. It takes years to develop, especially without being able to lock hands. Allow a guy to lock hands and it becomes that much easier. If you can grind a dude out on top full eye contact you can dominate a fight. Neither freestyle nor Greco come close to teaching you this skill.

1 Like

Eh. Discussing the two biggest Dagastani fighters in the UFCā€¦ Khabib is absolutely wrestling based but is only credentialed in sambo and bjj/subwrestling. No pure wrestling credentials. His first MMA fight was at the age of 20. Which suggests that he was training MMA wrestling at an early age. Islam Machachev, first MMA fight at age 19. Same thing. These guys are training wrestling specifically for MMA not freestyle. Any US fighter who has his first MMA fight at age 19/20 wouldnt be ā€œtrainedā€ in folkstyle, freestyle or greco. They would be MMA based.

1 Like