Big John calls Derrick Lewis a "gate keeper"

He is right. Lewis is the best gatekeeper we’ve had at HW.

1 Like

I cant train cardio cause uh, my back hurts. Maybe you have a bad back cause you’re a fat fuck do some fuckin cardio and it might help you out ya lazy pos.

Being in the top 5 of the world at something and getting paid a fuckton of money to do it isn’t exactly losing in life. That is fucking elite winning.

4 Likes

Hunt was exciting in the same vein.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t even call him that. He’s lazy and literally only has power in his right hand. He’d have gotten embarrassed with the last generation of HWs and the one previous. Him in the 04 HW GP = him getting embarrassed many times lol.

1 Like

Nope. Ken Shamcock and Dan Severn.

I like derrick Lewis a lot, I think there’s a reasonably good chance he’ll e champ one day. But admit there’s a decent amount of truth in your criticism.
However if I were to go down that road I could easily harshly yet fairly critisise the majority of mma fighters. A major chunk of that criticism can be directed at the coaches though , for them being lazy and getting them to work to their schedule instead of what the fighter needs .
I liked and agree with what teddy atlas said.
He’s a destroyer. But if he can develop ( which is doable) a stiff jab. One that can knock people out. A telephone pole jab , like forman had. He would be so much more formidable. He’s s so right.

Him being a fat fuck. 90% of that is on his coaches.
It’s not the weight that’s the issue. It’s the combination of weight and relative lack of conditioning.

1 Like

I don’t remember who it was that said it recently but I thought it was exactly right when they said that Lewis is an example of what you can do with genetic freak luck.

I think him learning a jab and six months or a year of real conditioning would really pay dividends for him.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but Hunt was all balls. Lewis is the cowardly lion.

And imagine if he’d taken that advice even halfway into his career.

1 Like

Agreed entirely!

Since we’re day dreaming here, could you imagine what it would have been like for Lewis to punch Jones’ head right off of his shoulders at light heavy?

1 Like

Even if Lewis wasn’t a fat bastard there’s no way he ever makes lhw with that gargantuan cranium.

1 Like

Lets Go Smile GIF by Heavy Steppers

1 Like

Gatekeeper my ass…Schaub was a gatekeeper…Big Country was a gatekeeper…Stefan Struve was a gatekeeper

Kinda hard to be a gatekeeper when you always knock out the dudes trying to go thru the Gate.

I’d say he’s a perennial contender if anything

4 Likes

If there would be a defeincian for gatekeeper. That would be it.
Win one lose one isn’t a gatekeeper. That’s a mid tier fighter. That’s a journey man at best.
Chuck lidded was the first crownd gatekeeper .
Say no more

Old worn out Hunt beat the shit out of 32 year old Derrick Lewis. But they both have the same game. I rewatched this a couple days ago and it’s remarkable how much smaller Hunt was but he was the bully.

2 Likes

So nice of you to mention it. I think it has been a full day already since some asshole before you mentioned it.

Chuck is in the top 10 of best LHW ever in the UFC. He was never a gatekeeper, gatekeepers don’t hold the title and defend it multiple times against other former champions. I don’t argue your definition but Chuck is a terrible example. Cowboy is a perfect example of a UFC gatekeeper.

2 Likes

Gane showed what a technical strong guy can do. complete shut out, I was embarrassed for backing ole Hot Bollocks to win. surely he’ll consistently struggle against people he can’t run over, that can really put it on him.

but those who don’t manage to slip past his power, fuck those guys, it’s good night.

2 Likes

Same game as it relates to their power. But an equally large part of Hunt’s game was his toughness and heart. That is something that will never be a big part of Lewis’ game imo.