Biggest in-fight mistake in MMA history?

I say Usman standing in front of Edwards for 90 seconds flat footed

He was up 4 rounds to 1 and just needed to kill the clock to get his 16th straight win in the UFC, and his 6th title defense

Instead he was comfortable with his boring victory and decided to stand in front of edwards for 90 seconds. No footwork. No movement. No faints. No jabs. No nothing

Then paid the ultimate sacrifice for his laziness

He was on a 15 fight win streak in the ufc and was about to tie or break Anderson Silva’s win streak record. Instead he got KO’d and is currently on a 3 fight losing streak

This game is very unforgiving

IMG_7944

6 Likes

This angle is disgusting pic.twitter.com/FlVuupInjq

— Dylan♿️ (@EdwardsSZN_) April 26, 2024
1 Like

Honorable mentions

Anderson goofing around with Weidman

Weidman throwing spinning shit against Rockhold

Fedor jumping in Werdum’s guard

Big Nog going for the Guillotine against Mir in the rematch

14 Likes

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

3 Likes

Arlovski flying head first into fedors fist

19 Likes

Chael spinning back fist

23 Likes

Hello Japan guy

13 Likes
6 Likes

First to mind

Fight iq

9 Likes

I’m confused by your confusing advice.

3 Likes

One could argue that Usman’s lack of feints caused him to faint badly.

6 Likes

Lmao. I see how that sounds stupid

He needed to kill the clock. But shouldn’t have been just standing right in front of him with very little movement

Usman should have put Edwards back up against the fence and just punched him enough to keep busy

3 Likes

run down the clock sounds considerably less maroonous.

1 Like

I know what you were getting at, just giving you hard time.

:rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

All Andre Soukhamthat had to do to beat Sean O’Malley was stand up. He had minutes in the third round to stand up and walk away from an injured O’Malley and he didn’t do it. Had money on it and it was one of the more frustrating MMA moments of my life.

10 Likes

this is #1. The implications went on for the rest of his career and he never came back anywhere close to the same fighter.

8 Likes

I probably would never count, in this question/answer, anybody fighting possibly the top fighter of all-time. That type of fight will make you try stupid things, because we all watched everyone try everything and get merked by Fedor.

Nah, Usman won almost all of his title fights with striking. Just because what worked for years stopped working as he got older doesn’t make the strategy stupid to an all-time level. IMO, for that level, you need to do something that even a casual knows is going to result in an L BEFORE the fight happens. (think holly trying to grapple with Kayla or Conor talking about Khabib’s family.)

I know we all knew Ian was a threat and very good, but we didn’t know if he’d be able to outstrike Usman.

To that point, Usman did outstrike him for 99% of the fight, except for the part that ended it. So he wa the better striker for the entire fight until he got caught. So it’s ok to say he was stupid because that would eventually happen, but it makes it a lot less dumb than all-time worst. It’s not even in the conversation, imo.

Melvin Guillard going for a takedown on Nate Diaz after landing a hard shot on him