Bisping tops TUF 14 finale with $425,000

mmavixen -  I can think of way better fighters who make less...if he wasn't the UFC's british poster boy, how much would he be making?

He should be 40K to win, 40K to show. That's the rate IMO for him. And that's STILL a good hunk of change.

Is there really any proof Bisping sells fights and brings in viewers? I tend to avoid watching his fights if I can, since I don't want to support that type of personality. I don't go to sportsbars or order PPVs that he's on. I rationalized that I don't have a Neilson box, so I'd be OK with watching the finale.

superCalo - Alot of folk don't seem to realise that the uFc is a business, its owned by a private company called zuffa, its main aim is to return value and funds to its shareholders.
Its not some charitable kind of sporting organisation that pays some guys more because they are such great guys and pays others less because they say dickish things.

It pays according to performance, not performance in the octagon but performance as far as a business is concerned, money.
Bisping earns the uFc more than he gets paid and is rewarded for it, everything he breathes think of the reacation he gets on here for example and all ovver the net, he creates controversy, he creates interest, people will pay to see him, win or more likely pay to see him lose. They will talk about him, he raises the profile of the sport because hes so accessable and appeals to a international market be that postivly or negativly - it dosen't matter.

You can be a nice guy all you want & win against top competition but if you will only be paid according to the value you return to the shareholders, thats why Bisping will continue to be paid well regardless of who he beats be they top 50 or top 10, be it a win or a loss.

Pretty much this.

Also I woud like to add, I can understand people bitching about people making too little money but what I can't understand is why people complain about what they percieve as a fighter making too much money. If there was no economic interest for that fighter to get that money zuffa would not be paying him.

Bisping puts butts in seats and that's all that matters when it comes to getting paid.

lol @ Calo dropping knowledge

WheresBobbySouthworth - Is there really any proof Bisping sells fights and brings in viewers? I tend to avoid watching his fights if I can, since I don't want to support that type of personality. I don't go to sportsbars or order PPVs that he's on. I rationalized that I don't have a Neilson box, so I'd be OK with watching the finale.

The guy is mainstream in the UK.

UFC's Michael Bisping named Britain's coolest man
A champion cage fighter has crushed rivals such as Daniel Craig, David Beckham and Lewis Hamilton to be named Coolest Man of the Year in a shock result.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3834174/UFCs-Michael-Bisping-named-Britains-coolest-man.html

'Fighter of the Year' award as voted by Nuts Magazine readers in 2008, beating fellow fighters Ricky Hatton, Amir Khan and Joe Calzaghe to claim the prize.

superCalo - 
WheresBobbySouthworth - Is there really any proof Bisping sells fights and brings in viewers? I tend to avoid watching his fights if I can, since I don't want to support that type of personality. I don't go to sportsbars or order PPVs that he's on. I rationalized that I don't have a Neilson box, so I'd be OK with watching the finale.

I would say there is absolutly proof of it, the uFc marketing department has that proof and shows it to dW and Lorenzo, they then decide to resign Bisping to a longer contract and pay him a lot more.
They are not about to make that proof public I expect much like they don't make much public that they are not required by law to do so.
What that proof entails I have no clue, but it must be significant otherwise they would have him on $40 & $40 as others have suggested and Bisping would have to be fine with it.

Yeah. I guess, sadly, there has to be functional proof that Bisping is helping them make money. It just doesn't make sense to me. The guy runs in his toughest fights. He's not some rugged brawler that you'd expect the British to support. And if people are actually paying to see him lose, you're a sucker. You're falling victim to a ploy. If you really dislike someone, you do more by not paying your hard-earned money to see them.

MartinLav - 

The guy is mainstream in the UK.

UFC's Michael Bisping named Britain's coolest man
A champion cage fighter has crushed rivals such as Daniel Craig, David Beckham and Lewis Hamilton to be named Coolest Man of the Year in a shock result.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3834174/UFCs-Michael-Bisping-named-Britains-coolest-man.html

'Fighter of the Year' award as voted by Nuts Magazine readers in 2008, beating fellow fighters Ricky Hatton, Amir Khan and Joe Calzaghe to claim the prize.

That was cool to watch him run sprints away from Dan Henderson? Damnit, Brits, up your game. Daniel Craig is waaaaay cooler. Hugh Laurie too and the guy that played McNaulty on the Wire.

Nice payday for Spitsping. And he earned every penny of it defeating such a stone killer like Mayhem, currently ranked NOWHERE in the UFC MW division.

My god, this coddling.

Supply and Demand... Good english fighters come at a premium because there are so few.

The irony is all of you hating on him even right now, buying his PPV's to watch him lose etc. is putting some serious cash in his pockets. If you think it's unfair that he should be paid that much then you only have yourselves to blame!

"And I earn a lot more money than you motherfucker!" - Michael Bi$ping!

3rdLion - The irony is all of you hating on him even right now, buying his PPV's to watch him lose etc. is putting some serious cash in his pockets. If you think it's unfair that he should be paid that much then you only have yourselves to blame!

"And I earn a lot more money than you motherfucker!" - Michael Bi$ping!

I agree with that. I post like crazy about him, basically trying to get it out there that people should be outraged he's overpaid AND TO STOP BUYING PPVS he's on. I'm personally outraged that people aren't outraged and doing things to stop it.

MartinLav -

The guy is among the 10 biggest sports stars in his market (UK) and he's a polarizing figure among the hardcore US fans.

What? as in sports in general? dont be crazy, hes not even the most famous mixed martial artist in the UK, Let alone one of the 10 most famous overall athletes.

Teenage mutant lesnar turtle - 
MartinLav -
The guy is among the 10 biggest sports stars in his market (UK) and he's a polarizing figure among the hardcore US fans.

What? as in sports in general? dont be crazy, hes not even the most famous mixed martial artist in the UK, Let alone one of the 10 most famous overall athletes.

I know, Alex Reid is WAY more famous than Bisping.

I didn't watch UFC 100. I was too nervous. If a legend like Dan Henderson lost to Michael Bisping, I was gonna give up watching MMA, no lie.

WheresBobbySouthworth - I didn't watch UFC 100. I was too nervous. If a legend like Dan Henderson lost to Michael Bisping, I was gonna give up watching MMA, no lie.

It is a lie though isn't it? Let's be honest.

Legit question. Was some of that to compensate for coaching tuf? Phone Post

And lol at the butthurts in this thread.

WAR BISPING!

Bisping re-did a deal not too long ago and it supposedly made him one of the highest paid fighters in the division. He deserves it, he's the UK Poster Boy and bottom line he wins fights. When you continually win fights you don't drop down pay brackets...

Mr_Quail - 
WheresBobbySouthworth - I didn't watch UFC 100. I was too nervous. If a legend like Dan Henderson lost to Michael Bisping, I was gonna give up watching MMA, no lie.

It is a lie though isn't it? Let's be honest.

Which? That I didn't watch UFC 100? That's truth. That I'd have gave up MMA if Bisping won? Who knows. I felt that way at the time. But maybe somehow I'd have gotten over it.

Bisping demolishes Miller and picks up half a mill !!

the haters are foaming at the mouth !!

I LOVE IT :) Phone Post