BJJ Brown Belt Demo

How old is Jimmy Desilva? Does he compete? His techniques are really smooth.

LOL at "black belts" tapping to purple belts. The quality of BJJ has seriously declined in the last couple years.

When I roll with MY instructor there is NO WAY I am gonna tap him. In fact last time we rolled he tore my ACL and there was NOTHING I could do about it.

That's skill.

I "tested" for blue through brown.

My black was just handed to me.

The only reason I was testing in the first place was because my instructor felt I was ready to test.

Each test consisted of throws, throw counters, throw combos, subs and escapes from each position, bjj tourny scoring, judo scoring, showing a technique to class, answering random question by teacher and showing random techniques asked.

This ensured you had the range of knowledge to teach and /or be an asst instructor on the mat.

But again..you would not be going through the test if your rolling skills and live application of moves was observed and my teacher rolls with us all the time (unfortunately..lol)

demandango - 
HuntingtonPUNK - the move he does at :20 seconds, isnt he supposed to trap the back of his opponents right leg/foot foot with his left leg/foot?

I think I remember his purple belt video and he neglected the trap as well

iirc, in a roy harris video, he felt this version was better for most and the trap was not necessary as it made it more difficult for most to do the second hip movement properly/the correct distance.

but what keeps the guy from just stepping back over your foot?

The technique at :20 is a variation of the elbow knee escape.  It is generally better to trap the leg and perform the "classic" version of the elbow knee escape.  However, there are variations where you pinch the leg rather than trapping it, and where you don't trap the leg at all but continue pushing back into closed guard.  

For example, I was working with a very large partner (280+) with a formidable midsection, and found that if I trapped the leg, I couldn't push my hips out because my heel was placed at a weak angle for driving off the ground.  With that much friction on top of me, I needed a strong angle to push off with, so I had no choice but to free his leg to drive my hips and replace guard.  Sometimes technique must be modified, depending on the circumstances and weight/length relationship between you and your partner.

nate787 - 
The Gimp - LOL at "black belts" tapping to purple belts. The quality of BJJ has seriously declined in the last couple years.

When I roll with MY instructor there is NO WAY I am gonna tap him. In fact last time we rolled he tore my ACL and there was NOTHING I could do about it.

That's skill.

WOOOHOOOOOO! YEAAAAAH! YOU'RE INSTRUCTOR RULES!!! YOU'RE STYLE IS RED HOT - OTHER STYLES AIN'T DIDLEY SQUAT!!! WHOOOOO!!!

i'm prettttty sure he was being ironic.

Baroquen Record -

well... nothing... but he can also easily retrieve his leg from you trapping it if you do that version as well. as long as you are aware of his movement, then you can counter. your foot is not stapled in place, and if he tries to step over it, you could lift your foot and trap his leg then, you could place your leg over his back like in closed guard, you could go for a butterfly hook, go to half guard on the other side... etc etc.

Roy Dean - However, there are variations where you pinch the leg rather than trapping it, and where you don't trap the leg at all but continue pushing back into closed guard.

For example, I was working with a very large partner (280+) with a formidable midsection, and found that if I trapped the leg, I couldn't push my hips out because my heel was placed at a weak angle for driving off the ground. With that much friction on top of me, I needed a strong angle to push off with, so I had no choice but to free his leg to drive my hips and replace guard. Sometimes technique must be modified, depending on the circumstances and weight/length relationship between you and your partner.

yeah, that's what i was trying to say. thanks for clarifying.

demandango -
Baroquen Record -

well... nothing... but he can also easily retrieve his leg from you trapping it if you do that version as well. as long as you are aware of his movement, then you can counter. your foot is not stapled in place, and if he tries to step over it, you could lift your foot and trap his leg then, you could place your leg over his back like in closed guard, you could go for a butterfly hook, go to half guard on the other side... etc etc.

yeah but also if you dont trap the foot it opens the opponent to go to the other side stop your 2nd elbow escape and end up side mounted. i mean i guess sidemount is better than mount but trapping the foot will stop that transition.

of course every move has to be altered to get to work in different circumstances i just wonder why he didnt do the foot trap at all and only did the other one.

i mean different strokes for different folks. I am definitely in no position to criticize either of the Roys on their understanding of technique and what is right and wrong. I greatly respect both of them, and the guy in the video obviously has very sound technique.

ttt

RobbieH - 
twinkletoesCT - 
HuntingtonPUNK - Is Roy Dean a giant? Looks like 6'8

He is roughly 5 foot 90.

He's 5'9? He looks a lot taller..I too thought he was like 6'4-6'6 from his videos..lol

No, no, that wasn't a typo. He's five-foot-ninety. It's like rolling with freakin' Dr. Octopus, with these crazy long legs coming out of nowhere...

Baroquen Record - 

yeah but also if you dont trap the foot it opens the opponent to go to the other side stop your 2nd elbow escape and end up side mounted. i mean i guess sidemount is better than mount but trapping the foot will stop that transition.

i don't accept the premise that the foot trap removes that opening by much more than not having it trapped, so i don't believe the cost benefit is skewed in favour of the trapped being better. i prefer the no trap, but understand if others don't. i don't think one is significantly better than the other.

I must say that I do like how things are laid out in a curriculum format between belts in Roy's system. I think it's a pretty good way to get students focused on learning basic standard moves that should be expected at that next belt level.

Joe

DarthChoke - That Joe Moreira taught pressure!!

Judo imho.

4l8r

twinkletoesCT - 
RobbieH - 
twinkletoesCT - 

He is roughly 5 foot 90.

He's 5'9? He looks a lot taller..I too thought he was like 6'4-6'6 from his videos..lol

No, no, that wasn't a typo. He's five-foot-ninety. It's like rolling with freakin' Dr. Octopus, with these crazy long legs coming out of nowhere...
lol  Ah, my bad. That explains it then. :)

Roy Dean is a great guy, and top notch instructor!

ttt