BJJ Gi Police

After reading another thread Were I read that only BJJ practioners are allowed to wear BJJ gi's. If the person wears his approiate belt without the BJJ belt sleeve and does not claim a false rank or misrepresents that his is doing BJJ who cares. I know people who train judo, other jujutsu styles or grapple with the Gi that prefer the he quality of BJJ gi's or just the tighter fit. Unfortunately people can do what they want and wear what you they want. The only other solution is the BJJ Gi company's have to stop making such good quality gi's. Lol

The "fraud" thread going on has gotten a bit ridiculous, but I think it is an issue if you aren't up front about it. It's not that you can't wear a BJJ gi, it's that you know if you bring in new people and you wear a black belt, they will assume you are a black belt in BJJ. I don't even care what style gi you wear. If you are teaching BJJ and are wearing a black belt, you are allowing people to make that assumption.

If you have a black belt in some other style and want to throw in some BJJ techniques, I think you're only option is to be clear about it (both in person and in print) otherwise you are sort of banking on people filling in the gaps where you "accidentally" didn't specify your qualifications.

^ agreed

I was accused of not being a BJJ blue belt after not training for about 7 years when I started at a new school. It was probably because I was way out of shape and very rusty so I don't blame the new school. But the professor told me I didn't even have a BJJ belt because mine didn't have a sleeve on it.

I was was out of BJJ so long I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a BJJ belt. My old school didn't do stripes because Rickson's association had bar promotions between belts. My first GI was a KI and so was my blue belt. So my question is why the hell does it matter if you don't have a true BJJ gi or belt If you're not a competitor? Do you have to have a truer BJJ uniform so training partners are not confused on your background? Phone Post 3.0

How many styles of jjj or the american and british conglomerations wear gi's sporting giant manufacturers patches and silk screenings? It's like wearing a fucking hula skirt at a school advertising Polynesian dance and then claiming the wardrobe wasn't meant to imply that you taught the hula, you teach a variation of a New England shaker dance brought over by missionary's from New England in the early 1800's, because hey, it's the dance that defines you, not your choice of wardrobe.

If you dress like a hooker, walk like a hooker, hang out where hookers hang out, that does NOT make you a hooker!

My BJJ purple belt didn't have a rank sleeve. It was just a plain purple belt.  that messed people up. 

But also, the first place I trained BJJ was with a BJJ blue belt who wore his BJJ gi and his TKD black belt whenever he taught class.  And he went on to found a major Grappling tournament organization...

Mr Clean?

Also you should change your name to "The Hammer"

twinkletoesCT -

My BJJ purple belt didn't have a rank sleeve. It was just a plain purple belt.  that messed people up. 

But also, the first place I trained BJJ was with a BJJ blue belt who wore his BJJ gi and his TKD black belt whenever he taught class.  And he went on to found a major Grappling tournament organization...

What organization is that?

twinkletoesCT -

Lol Kip right?

In my schools, since we do Judo and Brazilian Jiujitsu I tell students to use their gis in accord to their belts. One time, a judo brown belt wearing a bjj gi with his judo belt got wrist locked from that day on he made sure not to miss match his gis with his belts.

Pittshady - I was accused of not being a BJJ blue belt after not training for about 7 years when I started at a new school. It was probably because I was way out of shape and very rusty so I don't blame the new school. But the professor told me I didn't even have a BJJ belt because mine didn't have a sleeve on it.

I was was out of BJJ so long I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a BJJ belt. My old school didn't do stripes because Rickson's association had bar promotions between belts. My first GI was a KI and so was my blue belt. So my question is why the hell does it matter if you don't have a true BJJ gi or belt If you're not a competitor? Do you have to have a truer BJJ uniform so training partners are not confused on your background? Phone Post 3.0
No teacher or higher belt has ever questioned my belt but ironically I had quite a few white belts question my blue because it didn't have a rank sleeve. Go figure. Phone Post 3.0

mideastgrappler - 
twinkletoesCT -

What organization is that?

Let's just say it rhymes with "MAGA"

Is it LAGA?

I've seen a lot of bjj black belts wear straight black belts with no red bar probably cuz they like the belt and nobody cares. But if another tma guy wears a bjj belt or gi it's all bad. It makes sense to me tho cuz a bjj black belt is a different and more serious kind of black belt then any other martial art imo. Common sense says that as long as they are up front always that it's no need to freak out.. Lotta drama queens it seems. And too much confusion between judo, bjj, jjj, etc imagine if different kinds of wrestling had belts? It would be even crazier. 

No, the "purity" of the martial art itself is meaningless, it's the blatent grifting, and the "oh, noes, i haz no idee this was bad" I have a problem with.

I don't get it.
Roger Gracie wears judo gis because he likes the extra slack.
Ibjjf allows you to wear judo gis.
I've seen pretty well respected BJJers tell newbies that if they're not sure they want to make a commitment they can start off with a MUCH cheaper judo gi.
But heaven forbid if anyone wears our precious BJJ gi, forged in the favelas of Rio (via Pakistan) while teaching anything else.
Waiting for the day somebody storms a dojo because white striping is for BJJ only Phone Post 3.0

Rubber Ducky - I don't get it.
Roger Gracie wears judo gis because he likes the extra slack.
Ibjjf allows you to wear judo gis.
I've seen pretty well respected BJJers tell newbies that if they're not sure they want to make a commitment they can start off with a MUCH cheaper judo gi.
But heaven forbid if anyone wears our precious BJJ gi, forged in the favelas of Rio (via Pakistan) while teaching anything else.
Waiting for the day somebody storms a dojo because white striping is for BJJ only Phone Post 3.0
This is absolute bullshit. Some of you are trying to make a technical argument about the type of Gi, when the issue is that the person is implying that he's of a higher rank in Bjj

If you are a TKD black belt, wear a TKD Gi and TKD black belt when you teach class; especially if you are teaching BJJ! If we use your logic, the TKD practitioner should be good with wearing a BJJ Gi and BJJ style black belt while teaching BJJ, even though he's not a BJJ black belt. Why shouldn't he be able to do so, because in the end, all belts and Gis are made from cotton. This "teacher" just prefers the cut and style of the BJJ Gis/belts.

The local mall security doesn't get to wear a police uniform because he prefers the style of it. Doing so would confuse the public into believing that he's a LEO. And he'd most likely do it because of the percs and respect that come along with the uniform...just like the BJJ imposter.

Why the hell would anyone wear a black belt from one art while teaching another art? Phone Post 3.0

Btw, it works both ways. I would NEVER wear my BJJ black belt if I ever tried to teach or attend a TKD class. Being that I'm a white belt, I would wear the appropriate TKD Gi and TKD white belt. Phone Post 3.0