BJJ Student Wins $46 Million … Paralyzed

Read somewhere that the whitebelt wasn’t as much a noob as the article is making it out to be. A wrestler who had competed apparently. Sounds like a horrible freak accident.

2 Likes

Seriously.

“Yes my friend, your Jiu-Jitsu was good when nobody else knew any Jiu-Jitsu…(Rener and Rorion) are selling a product. They become the king of the internet… their pure Jiu-Jitsu is nothing but selling products on the internet”- Renzo Gracie.

Rener is a whore. Go testify to get more attention, to sell self defense courses to women and lie to them that once they get their pink belt they’re unrapable because they’ll be able to choke people with their t shirt.

1 Like

I wonder how much of that 46 mill he will even get.

Bout treefiddy

2 Likes

Regarding the amount:

It could easily cost $500K a year for top care for that guy for the rest of his life.

1 Like

The guy has made nearly a full recovery and is back to rock climbing and shit.

https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/stories/paralyzed-to-peaks-a-story-of-determination

What the fuck is wrong with this country.

Also the guy had been doing BJJ for 2 years and wrestled. He’d competed in BJJ, the videos are on Flo.

They make it sound like he did a pile driver to a guy on his first day.

Reading more on this pisses me off. He almost certainly did something retarded to not get his back taken. He deserved what happened, and shouldn’t have gotten a cent

5 Likes

It’s the rolling back take Leoviera made popular like 15-20 years ago. You somersault over them while keeping ahold of the harness.

1 Like

Geez I thought the injury had just happened. But it was 5 years ago.
How can he call himself paralyzed if he is walking?

3 Likes

Good details of what happened by Dan Lukehart half way down the article here.

Copy paste from link:

Prominent BJJ instructor and academy owner Dan Lukehart, offered some insight on the case as he saw the the footage of the incident and has more inside information as to what really happened:

“So….I know a whole lot more about the incident that resulted in the paralysis of the student and a 46 million dollar judgment. Some people reached out to me privately with various bits of information. The primary thing leaked to me is video of the incident. I assume if it made its way to me, it will eventually be public and you will see it.
My main takeaways are:

1. First, the video. It’s obviously horrendous it happened. I feel great compassion for the person injured and dont really have a problem that he receives money to cover medical bills and pain and suffering.
    HOWEVER. It is my opinion with 17 years grappling experience that this 100% a freak accident that could have happened to ANY gym….ANY instructor…and ANYBODY rolling in general. To make some judgement of Sinistro being negligent is frankly insane…especially when other mitigating factors are in play.(#2)
    The movement was the Leo Vieira back take.
    This back take can be done a number of different ways. You can jump directly over the top straight on for example…or off to the side….and with various levels of the guy somersaulting forwards. Sinistro jumped to the left side from rear turtle, which gives the head and neck room to be fine with a left shoulder roll into a sideways style rolling backtake. It wouldn’t have been one of those spectacular ones where you pull him straight over the top as you see in some of the instances in Leo’s highlights. Sometimes when Leo did it straight over like this, there were almost 2 parts of the technique…where offensive guy jumps over the top and lands in a bridge position…and then after a moment then pull the guy over. It wasn’t this.
    It was a bit more off to the side and intended to be one movement. An analogy is when you try an overhead/balloon sweep from guard, but you take him a tad more sideways than over the top really. Sinistros attempt here wouldn’t have been quite as spectacular as some of Leo’s. It was a rolling backtake still.
    Because it was a little to the left, it did give a lot of room for the head/neck to be fine, but only on the one side. This would have happened normally 99.9X% of the time, but a split second after he started the technique his partner turns his head in the exact opposite way of the path to clear the neck. It wasn’t a huge movement. It was subtle. You need to watch it a few times to figure out how it ended up in that position. He did it at the worst possible time. Sinistro already started his jump and just when his momentum translates into his partner, he had turned his neck. Since there was ample space on one side for the neck to clear, it leaves no room should the neck be the other way.
    It wasn’t an unintelligent spazzy reaction. It’s not clear what his intention was. It was suggested to me he was attempting a graby roll. It’s possible, but it’s difficult to surmise his intent as it happened early in what he attempted. It all went wrong so fast at the worst moment and there was no possible time to adjust on Sinistros part.
    This video can not be characterized as Sinistro going nuts or roid raging on the guy for going too hard either. It was just a normal roll. NORMAL. He showed immediate compassion.
    I read on Reddit that Sinistro admitted negligence in the trial. I don’t know how true that is, but if it is then….BULL to his own admission. He might be suffering from insane guilt and I’m not discounting he has PTSD from the experience as any normal person would have. He should be absolved of any judgment of wrongdoing by the grappling community. It…was…a….freak….accident.
  2. The injured party had quite a bit of grappling experience and in no possible reality should he be described as a beginner. He had 3 years or so of BJJ and wrestling before that. He was from Baret Yoshidas gym…who is known for sandbagging white belts.
    You have read that he was pretty skilled on Reddit now…including from black belt who said he rolled with him and described him as a tough and competent grappler. The information about the grapplers experience level was not allowed to be submitted/discussed in trial. This is part of the basis for appeal. I agree this should have been allowed to be presented at trial as it is relevant to how and what manner Sinistro should have been rolling with him and hence if negligence was in play.
    ANY CHARACTERIZATION OF SOME NEW WHITE BELT TRYING CLASS AND SINISTRO DID SOME CRAZY TECHNIQUE HE WASNT READY FOR SHOULD BE REJECTED.
  3. Rener Gracie is out of control money and attention hungry parasite. I need some additional clarification and details here before I can blast him properly on the merits of what he said. I know some, and it’s infuriating. Baisically Rener is putting the way that 95%+ of the BJJ community runs an academy on trial and representing his very left field views as mainstream. This has implications for ALL OF US because his side won.
    For expert witnesses testimony he billed at $3000/hour. He billed 42 hours. He was the charismatic and well spoken star expert witness that sealed the deal for the prosecution. I never cuss….and I want to at that. Parasite.
8 Likes

You’re a pile of human garbage.

2 Likes

Everyone needs to read that article.

Rener charged $3000.00 an hour to be an expert witness. He billed 48 hours. Made it sound as if it is normal for an instructor to not let his white belts roll/spar for 6 months and sealed the case for the claimant. The article puts it perfect. His views put 95% of the industry at fault.

Rener is no better than his fucking asshole father and can go fuck himself. He is a snake oil salesman and always has been and he sold the rest of us out. Like I said yesterday FUCK RENER.

NOONE SHOULD EVER GO TO HIS SCHOOL AGAIN. If you are current student leave.

10 Likes

I wonder what happens when someone gets stabbed to death attempting to use the completely unrealistic “Gracie Combative Knife Defense” they shamelessly teach?

Is a different knife defense teacher allowed to get on the stand to promote his own system --I mean-- testify as an “expert”?

6 Likes

Probably true. I do hold the distinction of strangling the first person with Cerebral Palsy in Fight 2 Win history :muscle:

Medical bills are one thing. Suing someone out of existence for 11+ million dollars just for pain and suffering because you got hurt turning the wrong way in a physically injurious sport you chose to participate in is despicable.

That whore Rener taking that rediculous rate to lie is even worse

2 Likes

I spent one full day with Rener and saw behind the curtain. Never again.

7 Likes

I’m really not talking about the teacher in this case.

But, I will say, my experience doing martial arts has been that the guys who have done it the longest -the real teacher’s teachers tend to be VERY interested in safety. Much more than others.

When you do MAs long enough, you have experiences of seeing people get REALLY hurt in pretty normal class/gym situations. I don’t mean a “normal” injury, but a hellacious injury from very normal class stuff. Over time, it adds up.

I don’t think younger instructors can appreciate this quite as much as older instructors can, because older instructors have been around long enough to see the odds not work out. They have seen more incidents of crazy, “WTF?!? HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?” type injuries on the mat. They have seen the things that “should not” happen, happen.

I myself have injured students in ways that truly shocked me. It’s THE worst feeling in the world to hurt a student and, yeah, “unforgivable” in a way. Yet, it’s something that WILL happen if you teach long enough. It’s these kinds of experiences that turn long-time instructors into that annoying teacher who rambles on too long about how NOT to hurt your opponent when drilling.

One of the changes I’ve made in teaching BJJ is to stop teaching moves that are too dangerous to practice in a general class. For example, no matter how much I talked I would regularly still see students do the “Valley Drop” takedown to the rear by SITTING on the outside of their opponent’s knee. For a long time I was a Nazi about telling students NOT to do this. Still, once in a while, they still would. Most of the time if you do this, you can get away with it. But that ONE time you don’t get away with it, it’s a really terrible injury. I’ve watched it happen directly in front of me. So, I switched to drilling a safer replacement and I don’t see that problem anymore. We teachers have to realize a good proportion of students are going to be uncoordinated and therefore much more dangerous to themselves & others and you need to kinda “foolproof” what you choose to teach. Even so, people WILL STILL GET HURT eventually. Your job as a teacher, is just to try and change the odds.

Doing this stuff we do is dangerous. But we do it so much --usually with no real problems-- that we can lose sight of that.

Again, I’m not talking about the teacher in this case. I feel for him too. It very much seems like HE DID NOTHING WRONG --or nothing any “wronger” than every other BJJ teacher, including myself, does in class all the time.

20 Likes

Shen, as usual, dropping the correct on this thread.

4 Likes

The Leo Viera back take isn’t considered as fundamentally dangerous as tani otoshi is though, is it?

It’s usually a safe one, provided the other person isn’t squirming too much. I never thought of it as something potentially injurious you’d need to not do to white belts.

Maybe I’m way off though

2 Likes

Sure, I’ve never heard of anyone getting paralyzed by that back take, but yet here we are.

Which is kinda my point; people get hurt by things that “shouldn’t” be too dangerous. But eventually, in just the right situation with just the right people, at the right moment, can be.

Look at folkstyle wrestling & judo. Both sports are designed not to be too dangerous, yet both can be VERY dangerous, sometimes.

6 Likes

Did the guy not sign a release of liability? Every school has them.

1 Like

Man - never thought that move could do that, but it makes sense after seeing how it happened (the teacher started to do the flip and the guy moved in an unpredictable manner and the front of his face got trapped by the mat before the flip)

I have had my fair share of injuries on the mats under my watch. It’s the most horrible thing in the world, because you feel responsible. Worse if it happens while you are rolling with a student.

In my experience, the lion’s share of the catastrophic injuries are from standing. I don’t even let two new guys stand anymore. One has to be experienced or they have to demonstrate to me they have minimal competence. I like how shen put it, you try your best to change the odds. That tani otoshi or jumping closed guard or flying subs are not allowed at all. My program is only beginners, so no heel hooks anyways so no one is doing any kani basami type takedowns. You can teach them ukemi, but that takes MANY reps until it is muscle memory, so there’s always a danger in the beginning for new students.

Another couple COMMON ones are posting on a stiff arm from a high amplitude throw. Or when someone is turtled and you rip them directly backwards where their toes are flat on the mat and either their knees, hips, or ankles cannot take motion so something gives…

I always say injuries are as much a part of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a cool takedown, sweep, submission, or escape is… but catastrophic injuries don’t have to be…

6 Likes