BLAF says they spend 20 million a year on fighter safety but

They are still using the same old mma gloves.

Discuss.

11 Likes

4 Likes

Ouch buddy, Dana won’t be sending you any Christmas cards lol.

This is a legit question someone should throw at him that’s not paid. Blows my mind why he can’t give an inch to not have the rights to the gear, he makes enough money, this is one area where Dana needs to tap out and actually care

3 Likes

It may seem stupid but he might mean the prefight screenings, injuries, etc…. Just because BLAF likes to be a smart ass. Aside from that I know they contribute to studies on brain damage for combat sports. I suppose it’s possible they are working on a glove design behind the scenes but damn, it’s been a long time…

I wonder what the breakdown of this 20 million is.

3 Likes

Canuck, is the other thread about eye pokes still around? Haven’t seen it in a while.

No doubting he spends the money and does all this, but from my understanding trevor Whitman approached them and Dana wanted a slice of the company or all of it and he said no, so fuck fighter safety right there?

3 Likes

Trevor wanted royalties from the gloves that they sold but Dana wanted the whole thing or nothing from what I remember

7 Likes

What Acidic said

Except that Trevor’s biggest problem is that BLAF wanted the UFC to absorb the gloves and own them 100 percent.

Trevor wanted them to be widely available for use so that fighters all over the world can train with and use them.

9 Likes

what if the research they are doing says the gloves are good and don’t need changing?

2 Likes

If there’s 500 fighters on the roster, that’s about 40k each…doesn’t seem crazy when you look at how expensive some medical stuff is. I’m sure the insurance premiums are insane and have terrible coverage, so the UFC has to likely pay a big portion for major surgeries etc. Something like what Weidman and Conor are dealing with must be insane.

3 Likes

Any other pro top tier sport/league spends the money on their athlete’s gear for safety.

Even if BLAF won’t buy someone else’s design, the design they have has not changed in decades.

1. Eye pokes
  2. Problems with fighters being able to close the hand to grapple
  3. Wrist problems
  4. Concussions from poor materials
  5. facial cuts from glove construction.

They want to be a top tier league/promotion, then get top tier gear.

3 Likes

They are obviously not and I listed a few things in a previous post about how they need to change and update the gloves.

Even if BLAF won’t buy Whiteman’s gloves he could have his own people create/update the style, materials, and construction.

2 Likes

Why not switch to PRIDE gloves? They own the rights to them and are superior.

1 Like

1 Like

5 Likes

7 Likes

1 Like

JJ will just find new ways to cheat!

4 Likes

I don’t think the gloves are a problem.

There’s tons of predominantly stand up fighters that aren’t known as pokers.

Conversely, there’s a few dirty dogs out there that bend the rules because they’re rarely and barely enforced

1 Like

They are and many fighters and others have said so for things far beyond the eye pokes.

1 Like