Boxing vs MMA in a street fight

First I’d like to say that I love both sports and have absolutely no bias in my comments. I believe that MMA is king for a 1 on 1 fight against a boxer whether that be in the cage or in a random field, however if the two opponents do not know each others skill sets there is a significant risk that the MMA fighter tries to box with the boxer and gets subsequently knocked out. This is why if a boxer steps in the cage with an MMA fighter he will nearly always lose as the MMA fighter knows exactly what to do to win.

The mistake that many people make is the comparing of the cage to the street. I can confidently say that the cage is not or anything like the street. My honest belief is that boxing is king for a street fight. Why? Because in the majority of street fights you will not be in a 1 vs 1 fight, you will not want to grapple with someone or take him down because of the risk of him pulling a knife or simply because of the fact that the concrete ground is dangerous/dirty and you are at severe risk of being kicked in the head by others. Kicking and kneeing is also a risky manoeuvre as it puts you off balance and is difficult to throw if you are wearing trousers or jeans. Lastly elbows are hard to land due to their short range leaving punches as the most reliable way to end a fight. Also most fights go from 0-100mph in the space of a few seconds; in these cases punches are thrown before anything else as they are the most quickest and efficient way to hurt someone. You will find more often than not that even MMA fighters prefer to box when it comes to street fights. A good example is how Lee Murray knocked Tito Ortiz out cold in the street with one or two PUNCHES, obviously in the cage it would have been a very different story but the street is not the the fucking cage.

Also in nearly every street fight that I have been in I have used nothing but my fists even though I had many other tools and skills at my disposal.

Teep

nah im serious

Rather have more options but if your talkin as a stand alone style boxing and other striking based arts are better for the street. Phone Post

Wait, how do you know about Lee Murray fighting Tito on the filthy streets of London?

Aren't you a know nothing noob?

100% accurate. I'm 100% sure I could pull guard and sub someone off my back in under 10 seconds but it's just not good to do on the streets. It's why I'm kind of pissed off due to my training I've done a tonne more grappling. Striking and particularly hands are king for a street fight Phone Post 3.0

I kid I kid...

but I actually agree with you to an extent. The movement and overall style of boxing can lend it self better to a street fight.

However, there is that huge risk of grappling/ground fighting. You say the ground is dangerous and not a place you want to be in a street fight, that is even more reason why you need to be proficient at defending takedowns, defending on the ground, standing up from the ground etc...

This ground has been well covered.

A boxer vs. a MMA fighter of equal skill in their respective arts, 9/10 times the winner is the guy who throws first.

I don't disagree but would tell you that I have been in 2 fights as an adult and I ended both with the first kick I threw, 1 was a leg kick just above the side of the knee and the other was a front thrust kick to the liver. In both cases the guys were finished.

MMA guy, if he knows the other guy is a boxer. Gsp style, take the guy out his comfort zone. Being slammed on concrete is not a wonderful feeling. Phone Post 3.0

LyotoBundy - 

I'd agree, but you're only considering your own experiences. I've seen people try to box and get dumped on their head and GnP'd. I've also seen 2 boxers go at it and end up in a sloppy grappling match. Maybe boxing is well-suited, but I'd like to have more tools to fall upon when it comes down to it. Phone Post

True that was my own experience and I am skilled. Just watching dudes out in public fight it seems the wrestlers (I am in Oklahoma a wrestling state) kick ass.

mrwhipple - I agree with this about boxing being more useful in a bar fight type situation. It reminded me of this article about Batman's martial arts prowess and why he used boxing
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/17/3164068/holy-mma-batman-martial-arts-dark-knight-part1

um......say what???........!!!!!?????

Didn't you see the Gracies in Action tapes, you noob? 99.9 % of fights go to the ground.

Or maybe it was 99.8%.

hi kkm

sockeye - hi kkm

thegoldenboy - Hey guys, I'm new here but I think I’m equipped at some level to discuss this topic as I’ve trained MMA for approximately 2 years at a top MMA gym (home to a few UFC fighters) and boxing for 1 year with top boxing coaches. I was previously seeking an amateur career if not a professional career in MMA but have decided to make the switch to boxing. I’ve also been in a number of street fights so I feel like my opinion is a valid one.

Anyway, first I’d like to say that I love both sports and have absolutely no bias in my comments. I believe that MMA is king for a 1 on 1 fight against a boxer whether that be in the cage or in a random field, however if the two opponents do not know each others skill sets there is a significant risk that the MMA fighter tries to box with the boxer and gets subsequently knocked out. This is why if a boxer steps in the cage with an MMA fighter he will nearly always lose as the MMA fighter knows exactly what to do to win.

The mistake that many people make is the comparing of the cage to the street. I can confidently say that the cage is not or anything like the street. My honest belief is that boxing is king for a street fight. Why? Because in the majority of street fights you will not be in a 1 vs 1 fight, you will not want to grapple with someone or take him down because of the risk of him pulling a knife or simply because of the fact that the concrete ground is dangerous/dirty and you are at severe risk of being kicked in the head by others. Kicking and kneeing is also a risky manoeuvre as it puts you off balance and is difficult to throw if you are wearing trousers or jeans. Lastly elbows are hard to land due to their short range leaving punches as the most reliable way to end a fight. Also most fights go from 0-100mph in the space of a few seconds; in these cases punches are thrown before anything else as they are the most quickest and efficient way to hurt someone. You will find more often than not that even MMA fighters prefer to box when it comes to street fights. A good example is how Lee Murray knocked Tito Ortiz out cold in the street with one or two PUNCHES, obviously in the cage it would have been a very different story but the street is not the the fucking cage.

Also in nearly every street fight that I have been in I have used nothing but my fists even though I had many other tools and skills at my disposal. However, in every 1 vs 1 fight I have been in e.g school fight, cage fight nothing beats MMA. I'd just like your opinion on my take of this, thanks for reading.
Any one who tranes would be able to spot a boxer by stance and footwork. The boxer would have to disguise his skill, which he would only think to do If he knew his opponent was an MMA fighter. Phone Post 3.0

If you think styles matter, you are in a discussion from somewhere around the timeline of UFC 30. This is perhaps one of the dumbest threads ever created on the forum.

Are you 14?

This topic makes no sense. MMA and Boxing are both sports and a street fight is a crime. MMA and boxer's are trained in habit to perform in a certain way and that is only a very small portion of a street assault. Thinking this way is not only wrong but misleading to anyone reading this thread.
In addition it's not the that makes the fighter it's the fighter performing the don't win fights...people do, And people are unconventional when it comes to life threats.

Stannis Baratheon -
Chupacabro -
thegoldenboy - Hey guys, I'm new here but I think I’m equipped at some level to discuss this topic as I’ve trained MMA for approximately 2 years at a top MMA gym (home to a few UFC fighters) and boxing for 1 year with top boxing coaches. I was previously seeking an amateur career if not a professional career in MMA but have decided to make the switch to boxing. I’ve also been in a number of street fights so I feel like my opinion is a valid one.

Anyway, first I’d like to say that I love both sports and have absolutely no bias in my comments. I believe that MMA is king for a 1 on 1 fight against a boxer whether that be in the cage or in a random field, however if the two opponents do not know each others skill sets there is a significant risk that the MMA fighter tries to box with the boxer and gets subsequently knocked out. This is why if a boxer steps in the cage with an MMA fighter he will nearly always lose as the MMA fighter knows exactly what to do to win.

Also in nearly every street fight that I have been in I have used nothing but my fists even though I had many other tools and skills at my disposal. However, in every 1 vs 1 fight I have been in e.g school fight, cage fight nothing beats MMA. I'd just like your opinion on my take of this, thanks for reading.
Any one who tranes would be able to spot a boxer by stance and footwork. The boxer would have to disguise his skill, which he would only think to do If he knew his opponent was an MMA fighter. Phone Post 3.0
Yeh and while one fighter is determining the discipline of his opponent he gets ktfo. Phone Post 3.0
If it's in a phone booth, maybe. In an open space, people who know how to fight generally look at the other guy and quickly size up strengths and weaknesses. I wrestled in high school and boxed from my early years on up. It would take less than a second to recognize if a person was traned in either by stance and movement. It would be especially easy if the person only traned that discipline. Phone Post 3.0