BOYCOTT BRAZILIAN EVENTS!

Everyone I made my mistakes w/ the Dale Jr. I know I did. This year at the Budweiser World Cup it was much better in every angle I thought I made a mistake in. Statue and I are relentlessly trying to make it even better from this year, if you read Gumby's ONTHEMAT report you will read what changes we did have.

We will make it better and I personally welcome all to come next year in Jan. to what I really hope to be a classy event. This year was classy and respectful, next year will get better.

And of course all can video tape.

Respectfully,

Joe Hurst

Uhh....

I think it's a shame that the actions of a few (Brazilians) reflect so badly
on the rest as a whole. Particularly when part of the problem from all
reports in this event can be attributed to some Americans' actions as
well. I would be mad as hell if someone called for a boycott of
Americans based on the actions of a few.

Especially disappointing that we had assurances that they had learned
from their mistakes and things would get better this time around. It
was those assurances, despite the fact we were burned badly before
that got our involvement again with this one, and unfortunately we got
burned again. But it really saddens me to see this sport which I LOVE
dearly to be dragged down like this.

Bottom line, I think THAT'S what Competitors are really asking for, to
be treated with respect and for the promoters to work hard to put on a
better and better event each time.

Rather than say which Brazilian or which American events are run well,
why not ask which EVENTS are run well, and you'll find a long list of
Americans and Brazilians and all kinds of nationalities that DO run a
good event and realize that these kinds of stories should be and are
the exception rather than the rule.

This is getting out of hand and people are forgeting the theme of the post.

Hi guys, sorry about my English...

We are not all same!There are good doctors and bad doctors, good instructors and bad ones, good and bad Brazilians.

The same about tournaments.Have you go to U S Open in Santa Cruz???

If you was disrespected in the tournaments, you have to complain and talk to the promoters and ask for changes.Fight for your rights.
I agree with you when you tell about bad ref calls, expensive reg fees, etc...You should complain.

The politics in BJJ are good excuse for some guys to avoid fight with gi.
Why they don't do like a B J Penn, go to Brazil and win a Worlds with gi?

Boicot won't help.Ask for changes.

Take care

I've had my taste of them also!!!Real upset with them for now.Very unappreciative.

ttt... ttt... politics is a mutherfucker!! No way to debate if you can't speak portugese... pitty

Bring back more WGG events!!!!!

Hey Whatever...
I do hear really good things about the Gracie United Tournament, and thats for the past 3 yrs. I'm at Ralph's school in So.Cal under Brad Jackson-- See you in May!

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! I wasn't even envolved in this thread and it blew up. There were alot of non PC posters and I am proud of all of you :)

TTFT!

People on this forum are crazy (lol).

Gorden Hester and Gumby made (like always) intelligent and correct posts.

Don't boycott. That is so negative for the sport. Make a difference. Make petitions and direct them to the promoters of the bad tournaments. Make them accountable through diplomatic measures first. It is also more effective.

At the end of the day, no tournament will be 100% because we live in an imperfect world. We just have to try to improve reasonably.

Keep training, and keep competing. Boycotting will just have a negative effect on the sport.

"your great george bush and his whole "free iraq" cover-up for getting oil money?"

LOL @ foreigners thinking the war was for money. I was totally against the war, but I guarantee you, it wasn't for oil. If it was for oil I wouldn't have just paid $2.25 a gallon for gas here in San Jose.

btw- One of my best friends is brazilian. Whens the Gracie United?

"LOL @ foreigners thinking the war was for money. I was totally against the war, but I guarantee you, it wasn't for oil. If it was for oil I wouldn't have just paid $2.25 a gallon for gas here in San Jose."

Yes, you are right. The war was not for oil. It was for American contracts to rebuild Iraq.

It is similar to an agressive takeover of a company. You take a company that has potential, but iS having economic problems. The company is taken over agressively through stock purchases. From there, the new board of directors turn the company around to make it more efficient and prosperous (i.e.- investing money in the company, bringing in new business, firing employees, taking measures to make the company more efficient, etc).

In the case of Iraq, Iraq is the company that has potential (because of its oil reserve), but it is going through economic problems (poor leadership, international embargos, etc). The USA takes over Iraq agressively through war. From there, the reconstruction of Iraq is given to American and American friendly companies. Those contracts are worth billions of dollars. What does that mean for americans...MORE JOBS = MORE INCOME = BETTER ECONOMY. Going back to the corporate analogy, the contracts the US/british governments are going go give to the US and U.S. friendly companies are the new contracts that the new board of directers are bringing to the company (Iraq) to turn the company around.

But don't be surprised if the countries that were opposed to the war (i.e.- France) will be left out from any of those projects. George Jr. won't forget.

Also, don't be surprised if the USA/British coalition try to have some influence in the oil reserve of the country as well.

Wait a minute, isn't this a MMA forum...OOPS.

ttt

I was on the receiving end of one of the largest "fuckjobs" ever given at the Gracie/Arnold Submission Championships on Sunday. Relson Gracie and his crew singlehandedly took my solid victory ove Pe De Pano and threw it away. They then proceeded to do the same to my training partner and friend Jeff Monson. However, that being said, we all know who REALLY won the matches and they can NEVER change that.

Nonetheless, the problem is not one of Brazilians but of people without character or principles, people who will never truly be champions. This problem is NOT isolated to Brazilians by any means. I firmly believe that most Brazilians are loving, caring, big hearted individuals. In fact, there are many that I feel are some of the most genuine people I have ever met.

The answer is not to Boycott Brazillian Tournaments, it is to boycott those tournaments and persons who favor such tactics. In this instance, one of those people happens to be a brazilian, Relson Gracie. However, I have competed in many other tournaments organized and run by brazilians and they were true to the sport and the competitors. While the observations of the Arnold/Gracie are true, they are not true of Brazil or Brazilians as a whole.

Reslon, Pe De Pano was very tasty, please send another.

Wade Rome

Wade is correct, BJJ politics is not a Brazilian problem, it´s a human problem.

I agree with Gordon on this one.

There's no need to boycott. If a Brazilian comes to the U.S. and earn large sums of cash - they have an obligation to pay taxes. If they are not paying taxes, they will not be allowed to come into the country. See www.ice.gov

it is brazilian jiu jitsu.. come on!!!

Mauricio,

I've lived 28 years in Rio, been mugged many MANY times and been living for over 5 years in Atlanta and don't even need to lock my car worried about my stereo. 

90% isn't accurate, but it's more often than you can imagine. You probably lived at Barra and rode with the family chauffeur to anywhere (school and English Course and sports practice) preventing you from being mugged. Or you are a big guy that they don't want to mess up with.