Browne's Elbows

Do these represent the next level of evolution in takedown defense in MMA? The Gonzaga KO apparently wasn't flukey, he can apparently do this reliably against anbody levering their head against his hip (a VERY common wrestling takedown position). This could really change the game. Are a lot of other fighters doing this so successfully?

Great post

I'd say that wrestlers trying to take Browne down will look for more head to the middle/blast double or clinch w/trip.

I saw Hendricks use them against gsp as well and they looked fuckin painful man Phone Post 3.0

Not saying these types of elbows should be banned or anything.. As we alll know the 12-6 downward elbow is illegal. How are these elbows that Browne have been throwing any less powerful than those? They are in a sense 12-6 but just from a different angle.

He has to be careful because a slight change could make the move illegal. The Barnett stoppage looked good but the Gonzaga stoppage was questionable. Phone Post 3.0

goocher -

Not saying these types of elbows should be banned or anything.. As we alll know the 12-6 downward elbow is illegal. How are these elbows that Browne have been throwing any less powerful than those? They are in a sense 12-6 but just from a different angle.

I think the 12-6 should be legal just like the elbows that Browne loves to throw.

Either they should both be legal or they should both be illegal.

Both are very damaging but as long as they don't hit the back of the head, what's wrong? I think they could help the game especially with the wall and stall . Phone Post 3.0

goocher -

12-6 but from a different angle? Lol you mean not 12-6 at all??

This simply shows the flaws of the 12-6 rule, not that it should be extended to other positions.... Phone Post 3.0

ttt

I think there great, but ppl have been doing them for a long time. Juyst nobodys been ko'ing ppl with them.

I wonder what would happen if he faced cain? Cain lije that td position. Would be intresting Phone Post 3.0

yes

Galanis -

His height and reach has a lot of play in it but I really think guys are gonna start utilizing this a bit more. Kind of like when Anderson pulled off the front kick. It's the 100th monkey effect

This.

Hendricks worked some on Georges Phone Post 3.0

Well, first off all, you have to have the strength and base to stop the initial take down.

If you are getting blast doubled, this technique is irrelevant.

But, yes, these elbows have been "game changers" in several high profile recent fights.

I think the eventual result will not be a lot of elbow KO's, but wrestlers being more likely to abandon take downs that fail on the initial attempt.

Should lead to more time spend in the free movement phase of fighting.

They were 10-4 elbows. Phone Post 3.0

They were legal vs Barnett but they were illegal vs Gonzaga.

cyberc92 - They were legal vs Barnett but they were illegal vs Gonzaga.
The last couple were, ensuring he would not recover. Phone Post 3.0

in

stevekt - He has to be careful because a slight change could make the move illegal. The Barnett stoppage looked good but the Gonzaga stoppage was questionable. Phone Post 3.0

This.

I like the technique personally, it's a great defense/deterrent from that position against the cage. I don't think everyone could pull this off though given the reach required to get a clean shot the side of the head without striking the back of the head. I believe that's why we haven't seen more of it yet.

Kinkle - 
goocher -

12-6 but from a different angle? Lol you mean not 12-6 at all??

This simply shows the flaws of the 12-6 rule, not that it should be extended to other positions.... Phone Post 3.0

Let me rephrase, they are extremely similar....So either ban them both or make the 12-6 legal.

Hendricks rung GSP's bell with a similar technique.