Bruce Lee Speed

Right....HOW THE HELL DID BRUCE LEE GET SO FAST?? He must have trained his fast twitch muscles to hell but how? Does anyone have any speed tips?

Also, this site would be eeeeeven better if it had a weight converter, like kg to lbs, lbs to stone, etc.
just an idea.

-Jim-

1 pound = 2.2 kilograms
1 stone = 14 pounds = 30.8 kilograms
www.ispeck.com/Tweight.html

Train as you fight. D-Rex

Lots of pratice and efficency of movement. Helps a lot.

I practice a lot in OL so I'm fast and jump like a mofo.

Koing

I also believe a lot of his speed was due to muscle mass. He carried a lot of muscle in the upper body for a short framed guy. That means more usable power.

Couple that with the right combination of limb-length, leverages, tendon insertion length, coordination and, as everyone has said, shit tins of hard work, and you'll be real fast.

how exactly does hitting the speed bag make your punches faster..that's always been a mystery to me since when you actually spar you don't punch the same way you hit the speed bag.

genetics also helped.

Elite marathon runners have about 15% fast twitch fibre muscles. No doubt this helps them go longer and not produce explosive power but they do not need it for 26miles!

Elite line Olympic lifters have 60% fast twitch fibre muscles. If you have 20% you are going to lift jack when competiting at the top. If you have 60% fast twitch fibre muscles you are not going to run too many 3hrs marathons!

You can help convert one to another but if you already have a high % of one you are more suited to that type of sport.

Bruce lee wasn't that short. Just lean and the widest lat spread EVAR. Also more power comes from your legs and hips up then just your upperbody.

Koing

Yup, with a lot of training, one fiber type certainly seems to change to another.

"Bruce lee wasn't that short"

How tall was her? i picture him like.... 5'6"

-doug-

He was 5ft 7inches. 140lbs. I met several guys that small that are extremely fast.

whenever you punch or kick try doing the Bruce Lee yell: "Yeeeaaoww!" makes every movement seem a bit more faster.

"Elite marathon runners have about 15% fast twitch fibre muscles"
"Elite line Olympic lifters have 60% fast twitch fibre muscles"

Koing,

Can you give me some refs for these statements? I'm not doubting them, but they are very different to what I've been taught in the past.

krakkerz sorry I read it from somewhere on the net. No exact reference but makes sense.

No human person with a lot of tast twich fibres is going to run a 26mile in 3hrs! And that is VERY lax by pro standards.

Not everyone is also to lift 2.5x bodyweight overhead also.

Koing

My understanding from my schooling, NSCA and correspondence with some people with bigger brains than me is that, while there's a difference, it isn't that significant.

The 60% for OLers seems right, but the 15% for marathoners doesn't. Although, you can get fast to slow twitch conversion, allegedly.

I'm just interested to find out where anyone gets these figures since, to my knowledge, no significant numbers of elite athletes have ever subjected themselves to muscle biopsies for the study.

the aforementioned lb to kg conversion is backward, its 2.2lbs/kg.

Bruce Lee actually speculated that he had very poor genetics. He worked constantly and diligently - he was a genius at hard work, if nothing else.

Read "The Art of Expressing the Human Body". Very good read.

Gobruins, some boxers hit the speed bag similar to how a punch is thrown. Not all hit it with a hammer fist.

You get some freaskishly good people

i.e runners that break 10sec for 100m, marathon people who avg 6min mile for 26miles! Gymnasts who score a 9.5+ on any of the 6 events and hell EVEN a 10 on the pummel horse!

Koing

"krakkerz sorry I read it from somewhere on the net. No exact reference but makes sense.

No human person with a lot of tast twich fibres is going to run a 26mile in 3hrs! And that is VERY lax by pro standards.

Not everyone is also to lift 2.5x bodyweight overhead also.

Koing"

Koing, sorry if im reading more into your statement than is actually there, but you seem to be confusing strength and power. The ability to lift 2.5X bodyweight overhead is not really dependant on fibre type, more to do with muscle-mass, leverage, etc. On a gram-for-gram basis slow twitch fibres are just as strong but take longer to reach their peak power output than fast-twitch.

I think it should be pointed out no one has observed fiber type change but we have observed the neuromuscular junction, the surface proteins and the hormonal characteristics of a muscle change given enough intense and long-term training (ex: going from hard o-lifting to hard 20+km runs). While we refer to muscles as oxidative, lactic and alactic- one must remember the great range of muscle cells in the body and how they vary.

MS

Practice makes perfect.

If you to have good punching skills, learn to box.

HULC I was refering to OLifters doing 2.5x over head.

You won't find a slow Olifter that puts up 2.5x overhead was what I meant. He probably isn't going to bench 2x bodyweight but he will sure as hell squat 3x bodyweight and jump like a mofo.

I'd say lifting 2.5x overhead by the way of a Clean and Jerk is dependent on fibre type and technique/leverage/other things also.

Not refering to bench press or anything else.

Koing