Buakaw speaks out!! Controlled & ripped off by gym

Hansumboy -
Calhoon - It is fucked up how Thai kids are bought and sold like racehorses over there.

Its better than living on the street and getting raped by german pedophiles.

Yeah because being someone 's property sounds great. Phone Post

ttt

get Buckaw on the next Tuff or [is he too old to adopt]......

ttt...

kalki - get Buckaw on the next Tuff or [is he too old to adopt]......

If he 'adopts' then his kid is gonna be wicked good at Muay Thai

You must be trolling... show some respect to a fightsport legend with 202 wins, only 21 or so losses (iirc) a legend of K-1 and a damn fine Nak Muay; Lumpinee tournament winner, International Lumpinee Fighter of the Year, and WMC champion.

Why do you have to insult him with your trashy American TV show, or mentioning a sport that he has never and will never compete in?

Dougie - What about trading Junie for Buakaw?

lol. Deal.

Ironically enough, Buakaw (despite not revealing where he was, and lying about Bangkok) has been in Phuket, I was trying to reach out but he is genuinely paranoid right now.

1fletch - 

You must be trolling... show some respect to a fightsport legend with 202 wins, only 21 or so losses (iirc) a legend of K-1 and a damn fine Nak Muay; Lumpinee tournament winner, International Lumpinee Fighter of the Year, and WMC champion.

Why do you have to insult him with your trashy American TV show, or mentioning a sport that he has never and will never compete in?

somebody is getting touchy, not reason to be super sensitive. in defense of this ultimate fighter business, the amount of money he could make would be astronomically higher than the $200 hes making now. no disrespect against muay thai but the money is not good, mma money isnt great either but, in the end it is a whole lot better than muay thai/kickboxing money. he could be doing superfights in the ufc if he learned how to sprawl for amazing amounts of money.

victorchensky - 
1fletch - 

somebody is getting touchy, not reason to be super sensitive. in defense of this ultimate fighter business, the amount of money he could make would be astronomically higher than the $200 hes making now. no disrespect against muay thai but the money is not good, mma money isnt great either but, in the end it is a whole lot better than muay thai/kickboxing money. he could be doing superfights in the ufc if he learned how to sprawl for amazing amounts of money.

Yeah, I'm sure the TUF guys make much more money than K-1 World MAX guys *rolls eyes

It's not the sport that took his earnings, it's his gym. For the record, K-1's stars (inc. KID in Hero*s) earned far more than MMA fighters. Not even Brock made what Masato, KID and Bob Sapp made per fight at their peak.

Buakaw should have gotten 10m yen per MAX win (iirc), and x amount of money per individual victory, plus his sponsorship money. That's why this story is crazy; he should be a rich man.

Please, stop.

TTT for Buakaw and people seeing what Thai figthers have to endure.

Duke Powerhand - TTT for Buakaw and people seeing what Thai figthers have to endure.

Agreed - this story deserves more attention, at the expense of what, more Rampage vs. UFC "drama" and a Ronda Rousey interview.

In no way is this meant to be disparaging, but how legal could a "lifetime contract", especially with the provisions that his contract has, be? If he were to leave Thailand and compete for another organization with a different management company, how likely is it that his previous "contract" would be upheld?

Again, given the circumstances he is under I doubt anything of the sort would be feasible, but if he were open/able to get out of Thailand (regardless of whether it is to the United States, Japan, or any other country), I would gladly contribute to help get him out of his current situation. As a fan of combat sports, and a fan of all that Buakaw has done for Muay Thai, it would be the least I could do.

Would a "Kickstarter"-esque fund be something that he would even be able to have access to if one were started for him? I am certain that no matter which country he were to end up in, he would be able to find a sponsor (although seeing him at Roufusport would be awesome).

comstock2491 - Again, given the circumstances he is under I doubt anything of the sort would be feasible, but if he were open/able to get out of Thailand (regardless of whether it is to the United States, Japan, or any other country), I would gladly contribute to help get him out of his current situation. As a fan of combat sports, and a fan of all that Buakaw has done for Muay Thai, it would be the least I could do.

Would a "Kickstarter"-esque fund be something that he would even be able to have access to if one were started for him? I am certain that no matter which country he were to end up in, he would be able to find a sponsor (although seeing him at Roufusport would be awesome).

Very cool,

I will am very willing to make a small financial contribution and/or see if i might be able to help out with anything. Though you might have a lot more of the necessary contacts i do appreciate this train of though tremendously.

ok, you guys buy out his contract with Por.Pramuk then let me know when I can publish. I want another exclusive ;)

As a friend who frequently travels to thai gyms reminded me, Buakaw began at the camp at age 10, meaning that he's lucky if he got a 5th grade Thai education. And that he probably had the same % of his earnings as he's had his entire life, regardless of how large the purse grew.

Bull_in_chinashop - As a friend who frequently travels to thai gyms reminded me, Buakaw began at the camp at age 10, meaning that he's lucky if he got a 5th grade Thai education. And that he probably had the same % of his earnings as he's had his entire life, regardless of how large the purse grew.

Thai boxers still go to school.

Their day is a full schedule that is hard beyond belief.

I would imagine his conflict comes from the way he was raised to believe in loyalty to his camp, or possibly a deep down feeling like he still owes the gym who fed and taught him while his parents agreed to let them raise him, or maybe even safety for his family if he were to leave.

Who knows, but it is an interesting story. I'd love to see all of his hard work pay off for him personally.

As I understood it, those that can afford to go to school, many do not. ex. The children of the trainers, pad holders often go to school, because their parents can provide income. The rural kids often don't get the option to do both.

victorchensky - 
1fletch - 

He has had over 300 fights. The chances of him picking up a new sport now are slim. Plus most thais think MMA is gay. And this despite living in a country filled with ladyboys