Can we talk about Igor Zinoviev beating Mario Sperry? I just found out who the ref was

Old school types remember this fight and the controversy – some said Sperry only tapped with a half tap, others said the referee confused Sperry wiping blood off his face with a tap and other said the ref just didn’t know enough about groundfighting to know Sperry wasn’t actually in danger.

But I just found out the referee was Gokor fucking Chivichyan! A man who definitely knows what a tap is AND when a fighter is in danger! Now I’m not sure what to think of this fight. He might also be a man who wasn’t going tolerate a Brazilian fake tap and called it. Or maybe he favoured the Sambo guy just a little bit, back when dojo storming and style rivalries were a thing? I don’t know.

People who know Gokor, has he ever talked about this match?

3 Likes

Not a tap:

But Sperry doesn’t exactly seem upset at stoppage, maybe he thought they were just checking the cut.

3 Likes

Well, he didn’t complain & put his hand on the mat in a kind of tap way. Didn’t look like a normal move my hand to the mat for position thing. I wonder if he said something to the ref while “tapping” making it more clear to stop?

1 Like

Fence grab, followed by a soccer kick attempt, followed by a “tap though you don’t want to tap”.

Back then…EEEEEEEZ NOHMALLLLLLLL.

1 Like

It still happens, but I’m getting flashback about the olden days and how these strange tap situations would happen:

Also, I think I remember Big John stopping this fight too early, then they had a rematch same night. Sak gets arm bar.

2 Likes

Ha I remember watching that fight & it was before I really knew who Sak was. Then after his big Pride showings going back & finding the situation funny in hindsight.

2 Likes

Haha, same here. It was very confusing and his corner naturally spoke little to no english. Sak goes down for his soon to be trademark single leg into top position. Crazy how they negotiated a rematch same next. That would never happen and probably is illegal now.

It Is What Is Dana White GIF

1 Like

Always found it a bizarre ending. Didn’t look like a tap; looked like he wiped blood, got it in on his hand, and tried to wipe it off on the mat.

However, if he didn’t tap, why didn’t he protest or seem shocked at the stoppage?

2 Likes

Ltr

Not a tap to me, for sure

2 Likes

Not a tap. Seemed like Sperry thought the fight was stopped because of his cut. The way he checked it again after the stoppage made it seem like he thought it might be a bad cut.

2 Likes

I trained at Hayastan MMA for like 2-3 months. I dont even remember this fight. Regardless I think hes a man of integrity. His one hour classes would go on for hours. He probably does have a bias though.

3 Likes

I think maybe he thought they were going to check the cut. At that time some events would check cuts, even let cut men fix them, then reset

I remember loving that fight. The stoppage was wierd as hell but sperry didnt protest.

Its interesting to see how the knowledge base has changed. Rewatching the saku conan match its so obvious saku was fine in their first encounter. People,including the professional staff, often just didnt know what they were looking at back then.

4 Likes

Looked like a clear tap to me, that’s not a natural arm motion in that instance.

And I’m neither Brazilian or Russian, sambo or BJJ, so I have no dog in the fight.

3 Likes

Sperry was one of the most laid back fighters ever. Dude looked like he was ready to fall asleep when they were doing the intros. I don’t think he was the type of guy to throw a dramatic fit and protest if he disagreed with a stoppage.

3 Likes

Not a tap ref mistake idc who the ref is a hey can all make mistakes

Jiri’s tap on Glover’s leg this weekend when he was mounted and getting pounded should be more of a conversation than Sperry’s alleged tap. He touched the mat once… :-\

Gokor told me ages ago that Sperry tapped. But he also told me some whoppers in those days.

2 Likes

Doesnt Sperry have a BJJ school in Miami?

Why doesnt someone just politely ask him?