Canadian MMA Rankings

Did this off the top of my head. So I might have missed people completly. Let me know if you agree/dis-agree

Heavyweight:
1. Gary Goodridge 2. Ulysses Castro 3. Todd Gouwenberg 4. Rob MacDonald 5. Lance Cartwright

Lightweight:
1. Patrick Cote 2. Jason MacDonald 3. Bill Mahood, 4. Ricardeau Francois 5. Yan Pellerin

Middleweight:
1. Joe Doerksen 2. David Loiseau 3. Denis Kang 4. Chris Fontaine 5. Jonathan Goulet

Welterweight:
1. Carlos Newton 2. Georges St. Pierre 3. Travis Galbraith 4. Justin Bruckmann 5. Jason St. Louis

Lightweight:
1. Donald Ouimet 2. Blake Fredrickson 3. Stephane Vigneault 4. Curtis Brigham 5. Dave Goulet

Feathweight:
1. Ivan Menjivar 2. Ryan Diaz 3. Shane Rice 4. Mark Hominick 5. Ulisses Rocha (is he a Canadian citizen?)

Carlos is a middleweight now, Jon Goulet is welterweight. Bruckmann is LW.

Vigneault and Brigham are Featherweights now. I'd probably factor in Kultar Gill somewhere at LW, say, #1, despite his loss.

So I guess I disagree. I like your Heavyweight, Middleweight (with the exception of Carlos), and Featherweight standings for the most part.

edit: Carvalho should definitely be in the 145s!

LW I'd say this order:

1) Kultar Gill 2) Donald Ouimet 3) Blake Fredrickson 4) Sam Stout 5) Justin Bruckmann

Now that Justin is fighting more, he's gonna move up quick.

C

Goodridge is 10-1-1 in his last 12

K, he's 10-2-1 in his last 13.

I don't think anyone would argue that he has beaten top guys, but how could you put any other Canadian Heavyweights above him?

I would put Rob MacDonald as the #1 Heavyweight, but only a select few of us have seen what he is truly capable of, so others may disagree. The rest of Canada will witnees his path of destruction in the near future.

I saw RM roll with a blue belt up at KATA last year and he had some trouble dealing with his BBJ (Tapped out each other one or twice). I think he could be a great fighter, but he needs to be well rounded in all aspects of MMA not just his striking and wrestling.

i'd say jmac is probably the best that has competed at heavyweight before (when he beat castro).

TKO Canadian Ranking - October 2004

HEAVYWEIGHT

1- TODD GOUWENBERG

2- ULYSES CASTRO

3- ICHO LARENAS

4- ROB MACDONALD

5- MARTIN TREMBLAY

LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT

1- PATRICK COTE

2- JASON MACDONALD

3- BILL MAHOOD

4- YAN PELLERIN

5- CAMERON BROWN

MIDDLEWEIGHT

1- DAVID LOISEAU

2- JOE DOERKSEN

3- DENIS KANG

4- CHRIS FONTAINE

5- KYLE SANDFORD

WELTERWEIGHT

1- GEORGES ST-PIERRE

2- CARLOS NEWTON

3- JONATHAN GOULET

4- JEFF JOSLIN

5- JASON ST-LOUIS

LIGHTWEIGHT

1- KULTAR GILL

2- DONALD OUIMET

3- IVAN MENJIVAR (12 of his 18 fights - 67% - of his fights as a LW)

4- SAM STOUT

5- DAVID GOULET

SUPER-LIGHTWEIGHT

1- SHANE RICE

2- MARK HOMINICK

3- STEPHANE VIGNEAULT

4- RYAN DIAZ

5- CURTIS BRIGHAM

I love all of this talk about rankings in Canada that exclude Wagnney Fabiano and Fabio Holanda. It is absurd.

Menjivar and Wagnney would be the top 2 guys at 145, Antonio from Shah Franco deserves to be mentioned at 145 also .

Obviously Holanda is ahead of Kultar gill at 155. Menjivar is the best guy at 155 in Canada.

All this talk about Canadian grown, is rediculous, this is a Country that was founded by and continues to survive by embracing immigrants. It's too convenient to play it off by looking at it as a Canadian Born and raised only list, just so your favorites make the list. I would do the list based on who is training out of Canada.

So what country would Wagney represent in Abu Dhabi for example? How does that work?

C

TKo has their fighters in all the the number 1 spots. I'm shocked....

How the hell can they rank Ivan at 155? Just because the majority of his fights have been there doesn't mean you rank him there. Do we still rank Randy Couture at HW? Cause the majority of his fights have been there....

Totally forgot about Antonio Carvalho on my list. He would get the number 2 spot on my FW list.

Wagney has fought once in the past 4 years. HOw can I put him on the list?

"Wagney has fought once in the past 4 years. HOw can I put him on the list?"

RKings from your tone, I figure you aren't objective anyway.

Because he is the TK0 World Champion, and if any of the guys on your list, who still fight in TKO, was thought to have had a reasonable chance at beating him they would have set up the fight already.

Your logic runs something like this, there's this guy who nobody in TKO wants to fight, he holds the World Title, so I guess the guys who won't fight him are doing so because it would be too easy.

RKings85, ranking fighters becomes meaningless if you know that none of those guys would win against another active fighter not ranked due to politics. Hominick was supposed to fight Wagnney in the last TKO, but it didn't happen, Wagnney easily beat a guy who slammed Hominick into unconsiousness, yet Hominick makes your list. Wagnney is the TKO World Champion, how come none of them are itching/asking to fight him? Rkings85 you put Rocha on your list ( nothing against Rocha but his record is identical to Wagnney's) yet he has only fought twice and hasn't faced anyone with a record as good as Tommy Lee, what's up with that?

It's not like Wagnney doesn't fight in TKO, its just that no one else in TKO wants to step up and fight him. I think its safe to say we know why that is. It's business, Wagnney would most likely defeat any of the 145 ers mentioned who still fight in TKO, after that they wouldn't be as marketable when they fight for the Canadian title. Come on it's the fight game, anyone can beat anyone, fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you... but probably not.

Wagnney can't get fights with unranked guys, and guys ranked in the top 5 in the world are the only guys who get mentioned as posiible opponents, but its hard to bring them to TKO, and Wagnney being unranked it doesn't make sense for them.

I am just saying that MMA needs more honesty and less politics. If nobody wants to fight a guy, then at least give him the respect he deserves, he's the champion and nobody wants his belt badly enough to actually step in the ring with him.

So in closing, Wagnney is the man in TKO at 145, and so other TKO 145ers should either fight him or give him his respect, as should those fighter's fans.

We are very proud to have Fabio Holanda and
Wagnney Fabiano on our roster of fighters. They are
both fantastic fighters, and are also great gentlemans
outside of the ring.

The above ranking is not the "TKO RANKING", it is the
TKO CANADIAN RANKING. Of course, if we release a
ranking of all the fighters in the organisation, it
is obvious that Wagnney Fabiano is #1 at 145 and
Fabio Holanda is in the Top-5 at 155.

RKing85, what are you talking about, TKO has "it's"
fighters at all the #1 spots... Todd Gouwenberg is
undefeated at HW, Patrick Cote is undefeated at 205 &
he just knocked out the two toughest chins in the
country with 1 punch each (oh! I forgot, he's also
fighting in the UFC next week...), David Loiseau can't
be anywhere but #1, I won't say anything about
Georges St-Pierre, the 155 weight class is very close,
and even though Kultar lost to Fabio, he is still #1
IMO. At SLW, #1 has to be the man who beat the man...

And yes Mr. RKing85, we rank Ivan Menjivar at 155, and
the reasons are very simple: 12 of his 18 fights where
at 155 - and in his last 5 fights, 4 were at 155... No
comparisons with Randy who NEVER fights at HW anymore.

A ranking is very personnal and we respect everyone's
ranking, this is the official TKO ranking and it's
worth what it's worth depending on opinions and belief.

Thank you,

www.TKOZONE.tv

Bruckmann is LW not WW

RKing85,

"Of course, if we release a ranking of all the fighters in the organisation, it is obvious that Wagnney Fabiano is #1 at 145"

Surely this seems reasonable to you. It would be odd if he were not #1 given that he is the WORLD CHAMPION! Anybody on a list you may compile want to fight Wagnney at 145 pounds?

Stephan,

I do think Antonio Carvalho should be on any top 5 list of Canadian fighters at 145. He is 6-0, ranked in Shooto with a fight with J. Curran pending.

bigfoot19, when you saw Rob MacDonald at KATA, was he training straight BJJ??? I can assure you he was.

Had that been an MMA match, any BJJ technique that the blue belt would have served up would have been met by a crushing blow to the face.

Let's not even mention some of the people that Rob has defeated in grappling matches, sometimes twice. No really......if I mention one of them in particular, people will get all upset and make me out to be the devil.

Training is the time you get tapped out. It is your time to learn. Rob will be #1 on that list, it is only a matter of time.

I agree, Rob has won joslins two years in a row, he has beaten many bjj guys, blues ,purples etc..Hope to see him at Joslins this year.

TKO putting Gouwenberg as the #1 HW is completly unlogical. His 3 wins were against all 0-0 opponents as far as anyone knows.

Ulysses Castro is the only guy in the world to hold 2 victories over Dan Severn. Granted that doesn't mean much these days since Severn isn't even close to the fighter he once was, but it's still an achivement.

And nothing you can say can justify putting Ivan in the 155 rankings. Yeah he went up to 155 to fight Serra, but he's still 145. It's the same reason why Newton is ranked at Welterweight, Anderson SIlva at Middleweight, etc. You just don't want to put Menjivar in at 145 cause he would get the top spot. And Even if you do put Menjivar in your 155 rankings, he would be number 1 there.

Canario...it's Showdown Joe, Joe Ferraro or whatever you want to call me. Your comments are comical and while I don't take them personally you should think about one thing: according to your calculations, Enson Inoue is the UFC LHW champions seeing as he beat Randy Couture years ago. I'll let it die from here...

As for the rankings, until Bruckmann and Maximus fight a few more times, they should not be ranked higher than any other fighter who has fought recently and has victories in the weight class. Just because I know Rob or Justin can beat someone in their weight class, it doesn't mean it will happen. Until the FIGHT actually happens, it's opinion and not fact. I believe Rob will be #1...same for Justin, but until they do it and until they earn it, it's just my opinion. And I learned this lesson having Justin and Rob grill me on this very topic early in 2003.

Waggney does not belong on a Canadian list: he belongs on a Brazilian or a World list. No if's and's or but's.

Shane Rice as #1...I disagree. I believe he is 1-2 so I don't know how a losing record can make him #1. Yes, he is the champions, but I believe he should bring that record up before he is #1. He beat Mark, yes, but I'd rank Hominick, Carvalho and Simba higher than Rice at the moment. Shane has the situation to get to #1 much quicker than everyone else, because he holds a title and thus, every fight he has will be amplified. Good on him.

Kultar is still my #1 LW guy...until proven otherwise. One loss does not mean he gets bumped. If he lost to the #1 ranked fighter in the weight class, then he gets bumped.

My Rankings!

HEAVYWEIGHT

1- GARY GOODRIDGE

2- ULYSES CASTRO

3- TODD GOUWENBERG

4- ICHO LARENAS

5- ROB MACDONALD

LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT

1- PATRICK COTE

2- JASON MACDONALD

3- BILL MAHOOD

4- YAN PELLERIN