Canadian MMA Rankings

I agree with kashk !

Did I just say that ?

I`d like to hear more about Waggney from Kashk

I disagree with Kashk. Just stick to world rankings then.

If you're not measuring how far Canadians are progressing on the world stage, there's no point in measuring. Worse case scenario, it leads to people from better (MMA) developed countries who don't rank on their own scene ranking on a relatively less-developed Canadian scene. Blows curves and all that. (Which is not to say there aren't great local Canadian fighters, just that the numbers aren't up with the U.S. or some other countries yet).

Why is Rob Macdonald even on the list? He hasn't had a fight in 2 years... or has he? Last time I heard of him fighting was against Valimaki, which was close until Victor quit in the corner. If we are rating people on potential then why not rate kirk Johnson or Wayne weathers. They haven't fought mixed but they would probably do well at heavyweight.

I don't mean this as a slam against rob's talent.

It should be based on who's training in Canada, not just purely on Canadian blood.

HW

1)Goodridge

2)Castro

3)Gouwenberg

4)Tremblay

5)Larenas

LHW

1)Cote

2)MacDonald

3)Francois

4)Mahood

5)Pellerin

MW

1)Loiseau

2)Doerkson

3)Kang

4)Fontaine

5)Vigneault

WW

1)St.Pierre

2)Newton

3)Goulet

4)St.Louis

5)Galbraith

LW

1)Menjivar

2)Gill

3)Ouimet

4)Frederickson

5)Holanda

SLW

1)Fabiano

2)Hominck

3)Diaz

4)Rice

5)Vigneault

Wayne Weathers is Canada top wrestler at HWY, he has dominated the Canadian wrestling scene for the past 5 year or so. If he is making the transition to MMA all the above lists will be changing.

Kashk,

If a fighter should be ahead of an opponent they beat, then Stephane Vigneault should be above Rice. But Laliberte should be above Vigneault, no wait, later Vigneault beat Laliberte. And Pain Peters beat Laliberte, so Peters should be above Rice. Laflamme beat Peters, and Thurston beat Laflamme.

So is it Thurston, then Laflamme, Peters, Laliberte, Vigneault, Rice, Hominick?

No wait, they're all not in the same division!

Try this one;

Rank these three in order... Matyushenko, Arlovski, Rizzo.

I recognize Rice beat Hominick. The same as you may recognize that Rice's accomplishments up to that point didn't really warrant a match with Hominick.

In any major sport's ranking/standings one singular event doesn't establish your place. If the Green Bay Packers beat the Detroit Lions next Sunday, the Packers don't suddenly take the Lions place atop the NFC North division standings, even if they kick Detroit's ass royaly.

If you're reply is, well "MMA isn't NFL", then liken the scenario to boxing. The sensible thing to do, when adding the 0-2 Shane Rice as a late replacement against your champion who is 5-0 in your org, is to make it a non-title situation. This acknowledges that the fighter hasn't earned the title shot, so will not be able to walk away champ in the event he wins.

Look at the records of the TKO champs...

Ouimet 8-3

St. Pierre 7-0

Loiseua 11-4

Cote 5-0

Rice 1-2

Doesn't something seem weird there?

If Holanda and Fabiano are residing and fighting out of in Canada in the same spirit that Menjivar, Goodridge and Newton are, I have no problem incorporating them in.

Also,

What is the feeling about guys like Alessio and Salaverry who were born in Canada but live and train elsewhere?

TEX16 is correct !!!

rude22,

I would say, for what it is worth, that Professor Fabiano is residing and fighting out of Canada - at least as it pertains to MMA.