Carmouche hands behind head

When Carmouche was on her back, why did she put her hands behind her head like my dad relaxing on his lazyboy? It seemed like it left her open for a few punches to the face from Ronda.

no ideas?

maybe from to much sport bjj?

I have no idea, I also have no idea why she never attempted to get back up. Mind bottled. Phone Post

She didn't want to give up her arm, obviously. Phone Post

GaryColeman - 

she'd rather get her head dribbled on the mat? I've seen other female fighters do the same thing when Carmouche is the one standing above

Its leftover from sport BJJ. it really is stupid as fuck to do in an MMA match

Aaron Becker -
GaryColeman - 

she'd rather get her head dribbled on the mat? I've seen other female fighters do the same thing when Carmouche is the one standing above

Ru serious? Wow mma knowledge is real weak with this one. Phone Post

BLACKBUDDAH - 
Aaron Becker -
GaryColeman - 

Ru serious? Wow mma knowledge is real weak with this one. Phone Post

how so? Her face is wide open to getting her nose smashed in

well rounded poster - 
Aaron Becker - no ideas?

To have her hands near her head, to protect her face Phone Post

it didn't work, her face is wide open to getting hit and it did

Jason - 

Its leftover from sport BJJ. it really is stupid as fuck to do in an MMA match

ok, this answer makes sense. I was thinking it was pretty stupid to leave her face wide open like that

lesnar911 - Never understood why. But you make it sound like it doesn't happen a lot.. It does... Seems like almost everytime someone is on their back waiting.

I think carmousususze said it was to protect her head from slamming against the ground if she got punched so she wouldnt get ko'd that way. But I assume you would protect your face if you saw a punch coming and not have them behind your head.

So I guess to protect your face but wouldnt just keeping your guard "up" on the ground be easier for that..

hmm, I would think it would be better to deflect a punch than take it square in the face and not let the back of your head hit the mat

She explained it at the post fight press conference. Phone Post

well rounded poster - 
Aaron Becker -
well rounded poster - 
Aaron Becker - no ideas?

To have her hands near her head, to protect her face Phone Post

it didn't work, her face is wide open to getting hit and it did

You can't just lay there with your guard up in front of your face. I think she feels more poised and ready with Rhonda standing over her. She can support her head and have her hands ready to act. She also explained this after the fight. Said she did it to be able to protect her face Phone Post

seems like a stupid way to protect your face when your hands are behind your head

to protect against getting punched...thats what she said at the press conference at least

this ain't from sport bjj

it's from old school vale tudo

the brazilians did it when opponent stood out of guard and hovered above but away and kicked at the legs

they hold behind the head and kick the knees

I've always thought it was to support the neck so the the strain of that position wouldn't hurt it, no?

U have to keep ur head off the mat to remain mobile off ur back (head on the mat would increase friction). Hands behind the head assist ur neck and abs. Phone Post

Carmouche's reason wasn't great. Hands on mat would have been better to rotate and spin if need be, and immediately stand up when the opportunity presented herself (like the kick to the boob where Ronda stumbled back - greatest tactical mistake in fight was not standing up immediately there). Her feet by keeping her opponent away should protect her head, not her hands. Jeez this will be the most analyzed fight ever lol.

can't a girl just relax and enjoy the moment

before the inevitable