Catch guys

Aww, for the love of...

Allright everyone, calm the hell down. How did this turn into a flame war?

We all know that bjj is an excellent grappling style, so everyone take it easy. I have had some (relatively limited) exposure to bjj, and I have enjoyed it and have nothing but respect for the art and it's practitioners. In fact, I will likely continue dabbling in it.

I would also like to learn some things from a catch angle. I don't think there's anything wrong with that either - I want to learn as much as I can from as many perspectives as I can. Unfortunately, there is only one catch school that I know of - in Chicago. There are probably 200 bjj schools between here (DC) and there - so I might as well continue learning submissions from easy-to-find bjj guys instead of tough-to-find catch guys.

xxx75, please knock it off. You're doing more trash talking and chest beating than anyone else. Catch is an almost dead art - being kept on life-support by basically a handful of guys in Chicago. There are not hundreds (maybe thousands?) of catch guys the way there are hundreds or thousands of bbj players in the US. Hopefully, those guys in Chicago can help expand the influence and reach of catch and expose more people to it. Perhaps over the course of years, people will get there. But for now, I'm willing to overlook the fact that there aren't sub tourneys bursting at the seams with catch guys. Interest is only just now being re-kindled. Give it some time. 15 years ago, one could have easily said the same about bjj. Let's not dismiss catch before it even gets off the ground.

But despite that, it probably is worthwhile to point to guys like Sak and Eric Paulson who have claimed to have learned much from a catch perspective. Generally, I hate the stupid "this famous fighter does 'X', therefore, 'X' is PROVEN to be superior, blah, blah." It's such a bunch of childish shit. But you asked to hear about people competing using catch in whole or in part, and those two guys are examples. So there you have it.

For the non-trolls on both sides of the debate, thanks for your input!

Great post Chip!!!

In the old days, Catch was not a set style. No Catch practitioners would ever say, "That is a catch move and that is not" or "Catch as Catch Can is _____, but not ______". It was all just PURE wrestling with whatever that worked. Jiujitsu has alot of limitations and deficiencies, and like I said before, Catch has been represented successfully time and time again.

mrmeoggi-"karo is also a catch guy "

Not true in FCF he was asked about catch and he asked , huh whats catch? Hes said hes a mixture of juda, bjj and just grappleing in general.

But really didnt know what catch even was.

That was addressed by Gene. Karo is a Judo guy and Gokor's student. I don't Gene has taught him much.

please enjoy what you do and have fun talking about it but never at the expense of another style, especially one as good as BJJ.

If you can walk in a good BJJ school and neck crank and leglock the higher belts, I gotta give props although I'm guessing that is bullshit unless your name is Sakuraba.

I just read on the other sight tony had been tapped but the guy wont reveal who tapped him.sakuraba is fighting minatouro that is cool .

"I just read on the other sight tony had been tapped but the guy wont reveal who tapped him"

Wow, where'd you read this???

It's on the tape review thread on the UG. Tony was never tapped. The guy is a fraud and was exposed ages ago. Some guy from Germany threw that out in a weak attempt at a retort.

o ic if tony got tapped i dont care he has all ready proven his theroys to me.

Tony has never tapped: BS. Everyone taps, if they are wrestling with good partners.

Geez, no one said never. Tony has not rolled live in years. His health has not exactly been good in a while, in case you need reminding.

right, sorry, I didn't want this thread to turn into a Tony Checcine version of "Rickson has never tapped".

tony vs silva

fingertothemoon its training time,today ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

finally got the renzo vs newton fight renzo uses catch techniques has newton screwed completly and then gets impatiant gives up the catch move for a traditional kneebar that makes him fight on his back,awesome fight not alot striking but still good fight,it seems the gracies will be some of the first to use catch and call it there own without giving tony c credit for the moves and you can tell its tonys stuff renzo trys.great fight

Kinda like Rener's secret leglock that Helio taught him. It's the one where you "fall to your side". I have not seen a picture of it, but Rener has cleaned up in competition with it. I would love to see a picture of him doing this "secret" technique only recently taught him by Helio.

fingertothemoon call me I got a bunch of new material some from tony c it covers some takedown subs ,turtle position,side control,my 2 new mounts,subs all over from bottom,at least 20 moves that are pretty high percentage,but I cant explain them on the net someone might learn them and then they wont work aswell.

e. kaye- is this "secret" leglock the one when they are going for your back ? hook in?

I never heard a description of the entry. I though that it was just an ordinary leglock, but the secret was falling to your side instead of falling to your back.