cauliflower ear?

I've always had a professional do it but if that isn't an option, people have been doing it themselves for YEARS.

Alcohol and a syringe to drain it. Do it right before bed and use a clothes pin to keep it clamped down. A clothes pin is a drastic measure but I've seen it work. You HAVE to compress it after draining, otherwise it's pointless. You'll drain the same ear 1000 times.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I bit the bullet and went to a family practitioner and had him drain it, he drained 7 CC's of blood and fluid out. He also gave me some anti-biotics to go with it as well. Im gonna skip training tonight and just not roll for a few weeks and wear head gear if I spar. Once again thanks for the help!

Im gonna skip training tonight and just not roll for a few weeks and wear head gear if I spar.

no really... dont even go TRAIN anything... you straining and bopping around will get it to swell up more

The best treatment is prevention. head gear is your friend. Some are lucky however. I have no signs after years and years

Mine doesn't hurt anymore.

http://www.knockoutfactory.com/feartheear.htm

Some people are more prone to it because of the way they roll or the people you roll with.

If you're a weekend warrior type that rolls with white to blue belt level guys all the time, never really going THAT hard, you're just unfortunate if you end up with cauliflower ear.

However, if you're rolling with D1 wrestlers who head snap you without mercy, purple belts and above that are trying to tap you like it would solve the nation's debt, and not wearing a headgear...you are "more prone to cauliflower ear"

I think some people are more biologically prone to it as well. Other than that, I do think being a wrestler and/or rolling with wrestlers creates an environment conducive to cauli. Wrestlers are generally trained to use their head as an effective 5th limb. As someone with a wrestling background, I know I was, plus I got caught in a lot of guillotines and triangles and fought real hard to get out of them.

"Does it still hurt after it hardens, or just when there is fluid build up?"

No, but because it's hard it will only take a Bump, Rub, or sometimes even the Wind blowing on it to get them red and get the Inflammation going. Also, if it's hard it won't take much for it to swell up...it's easier the next Times around.

As for Headsnaps contributing to it, I don't see how unless they lead to a FHL that you squeeze your Way out of, in which Case it's the pulling of your Head out of the HL that does it.

Getting it smeared on the Mats, pulling it out of HLs and Guillotines is how one gets serious Cauli. Bareknuckles to the Ears may contribute, but for the most Part it's the Wrestling that does it.

-Joe

I wrote a pretty detailed account of how I dealt with mine over on Bullshido after someone asked about it. It was a while ago and I think I have since deleted the pics that were attached to the thread but the descriptions are pretty good.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50770

Now ive become an expert at draining it! I had it drained once by the doctor, but even when I didnt train, the next morning it would be filled back up with blood and be swollen. So I took matters into my own hands. I just use a clothes pin needle and proxide and go to work. I stab the most swollen part (After Ive sanitized the needle and my ear) and advance the needle around the whole inside of the ear then pull it out. Usually the blood comes rushing out, then I have to put some pressure on it to get the rest out. After i'm done I put rubbing alcohol all over my ear and im good for a few days. Ive done this myself about 4 times now, my left ear is a little more tender than normal, but for the most part its hardened with minimal swelling. Thanks for all the help fella's!

Buy the stuff and drain it daily.

TTT

"Fuck, I wish I had cauli. If it ever comes in, I'm wearing it like a badge of honor."

LOL just get a tapout shirt

ttt