Cejudo To Miocic: ‘Are You Gonna Fight Fires Or Fight Jones?’

1 Like

Former two-division UFC champion Henry Cejudo has blamed Stipe Miocic for causing a delay to Jon Jones‘ return to the Octagon.

Fans haven’t witnessed Jones throwing down in the steel surroundings of a cage since February 2020. Back then, “Bones” successfully defended his title against Dominick Reyes via a much-disputed split decision.

After deciding he’d accomplished all his goals at 205 pounds, Jones vacated the belt and announced his intentions to pursue gold at heavyweight. But over two years on, a lengthy bulking-up phase, a pandemic, a public pay dispute with the UFC, and another arrest have ensured that the two-time light heavyweight king has remained on the sidelines.

This year, however, Jones has looked as close as he has to making his comeback. After a potential interim-title fight versus Stipe Miocic was rumored, Jones confirmed the Ohio native as his desired debut opponent in the division.
But after claiming that Miocic wasn’t ready for a summer return, Jones insisted he’d wait for the consensus heavyweight GOAT, naming September as a probable month. With that time period rapidly approaching, as well as pay-per-view headliners being set up until November, it appears something is causing a further delay.

According to Fight Ready coach Henry Cejudo, the answer is Miocic.

Cejudo Lays Blame For Jones’ Return Delay On Miocic

In preparation for his comeback, Jones has been utilizing the mind and talents of Cejudo at the former champ-champ’s Arizona-based gym. With that in mind, “Triple C” has a unique insight into the training and status of Jones.

And in a recent video uploaded to his YouTube channel, Cejudo shared a sentiment Jones has said himself, insisting that the UFC veteran is ready to compete.

With that said, Cejudo noted that the ongoing delay is being caused by former heavyweight king Miocic, who “The Messenger” suggested needs to decide whether he wants to continue fighting fires outside the Octagon or lace the gloves again.

“Jon is ready, Jon has that fire that he had once again. It’s really come down to Stipe Miocic,” Cejudo said. “If he’s gonna continue to keep fighting fires, or fight. I commend him for doing things like that, but this is also the fight game and people do want the fight. If Stipe is willing to say, ‘Hey man, this is the month I want to get going,’ then Jon will oblige and sign, even though Jon is the A-side.”

Cejudo also provided an answer for those who have called for Jones to return against an opponent more immediately available — perhaps Curtis Blaydes, who “Bones” has appeared to have some animosity with.

But for “Triple C,” a bout isn’t worth Jones’ time unless some form of gold is on the line.

“Anything less than Jon Jones fighting for a belt is a slap in the face,” Cejudo stated. “Him fighting Curtis Blaydes or anyone along the line is a slap in the face to Jon Jones. Hate him or love him, he is the greatest of all time.” (h/t GiveMeSport)

Miocic has competed twice since Jones was last seen inside the Octagon, first defending the title in a trilogy fight against Daniel Cormier before losing the belt in devastating fashion opposite Francis Ngannou last March.

While the 39-year-old has found success inside the cage, his admirable activities aren’t restricted to MMA, as Miocic is an active firefighter in Oakwood, Ohio. While Cejudo, like most, clearly respects that work, he’s looking to remind Miocic that he’s still in the “fight game.”

1 Like

I agree with CCC. Stipe might be the worst self promoter in the game,

2 Likes

At least Blaydes is active. Fights 2-3x a year since his UFC debut. Fighters like him keep the boring HW division at least functioning.

Stipe has fought 3x in the last four years.
Jones has fought 4x in the last four years.
Ngannou has fought 4x in the last three years.

I’ll be glad when Jones and Stipe are not slowing down the division.

Jones has fought 11x in the past decade.
Stipe has fought 15x in the past dacade.

2 Likes

This is ridiculous. 18 months from now, Jones will be off his suspension, and no one will remember the astroturfing he’s doing right now. Jones could have fought ANY TIME at HW in the past 2.5 yrs. He’s afraid of Ngannou. I’m surprised a no-nonsense Olympic gold medallist like Cejudo hasn’t figured everything out yet.

Lot’s of guys at LHW and HW for him to fight. After 30 months, it’s Jon Jones and no one else holding him up.

10 Likes

The only person responsible for anything Jon Jones who takes zero responsibility is Jon Jones.

7 Likes

Both of these two need to get on with a fight already or formally retire.

1 Like

It’s not that Cejudo hasn’t figured anything out. Jones trains with him now. He’s obligated to feed into the Jones hype bullshit :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Jones is such a POS, I give zero fucks about his legacy, I’ll be glad when he is gone.

7 Likes

truth

5 Likes

I guess I just hold Cejudo in higher regard, so I don’t want to believe that. But maybe I should get around to it.

1 Like

Jones still hasnt worked out his salary issue with the UFC. What exactly has changed?

1 Like

What’s the story with that? Obviously he’s asking for more money, but the UFC doesn’t want to invest in a guy who can’t lay off the drugs? I don’t buy the scheduling narrative. After 30 months it’s something else. I’d believe that it’s money, but I think it’s probably a suspension (Occam’s Razor).

2 Likes

I dont buy the suspension theory. His last suspension was 2 years, which he got cut down by snitching. If he has another failed test it would be 4 years or lifetime ban.

1 Like

Exactly. So probably 4 years. He’s 2.5 years in. He’ll start seriously training again at the 3.5 yr mark and they’ll book him right at 4 year mark. I’m not sure why it would be hard to believe a drug suspension narrative for a guy with a history of drug suspensions. Money is also VERY believable, that’s why I was wondering what you’ve heard.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t buy that at all. He decided to go HW but Ngannou was out and then Gane grabbed the int. title and then Ngannou won that fight but is injured and Stipe has not fought in 1 1/2 years. Jones was not gonna go back to LHW and rematch Reyes or fight Glover again so he is waiting on Ngannou or Stipe. Its not like is willing to just fight Gane/Tuivasa/Blaydes with the risk and not the reward of being Ngannou or Stipe.

With the talent in the top ten HW could be interesting but only a few of them are active and the top three are not active for various reasons.

Its like 10% as interesting as HW has been in the past.

Stipe giving back to his community on a daily basis. Meanwhile you have a midget trainer talking shit for a guy that has done nothing but harm and take from society. Not a good look.

2 Likes