Cerrone OBJECTIVELY best fighter in UFC history?

Records stacked on top of records. And really the only records that matter. Most wins, most finishes, most performance bonuses. The grand slam of UFC records.

Yes there are more exciting names, yes there are fighters who can put more ass in seats and sell PPVs. Is there anyone who has been as consistently dominant as Cowboy in his UFC career? Only Jones and Silva really come to mind. I'm not speaking about strictly winning. I'm talking about consistently putting on exciting fights.

3 Likes

He's damn good, that's for sure. No belts, but belts don't mean much to me since rankings haven't ever really meant shit in the UFC.

3 Likes
Adam The Saint -

He's damn good, that's for sure. No belts, but belts don't mean much to me since rankings haven't ever really meant shit in the UFC.

Ya, when you look at a guy like Cerrone, the value of the belt starts to diminish.

I hope he wins a belt anyway. That would solidify his greatness further 

1 Like

Hes always been top ten, but hes never been the best. He is the most active for sure, but he seems to fold in big fights.

2 Likes
Fahqhard -
DirtyLickinsBrah -

Hes always been top ten, but hes never been the best. He is the most active for sure, but he seems to fold in big fights.

Exactly, as he will fold again tomorrow

Someone forgot about the new and improved Dad Cerrone.  Nighty night Gaethje

2 Likes

No. Objectively the most busy really good fighter.

1 Like

At this point would an intensive Olympic-level wrestling camp help him round out his game and take him to the next level?

Belts don't mean shit.  Phenomena like Hendo, the Diaz bros and Cerrone are living proof.  At the end of the day a belt won't put a roof over your head but a million dollars will.

Belts still mean something. They don't mean what they once did, but they still matter to casuals.

Doc_Watson -
Fahqhard -
DirtyLickinsBrah -

Where was he at vs Tony?

I don't think you can fairly call the best. HoF material yes. Most exciting, possibly. True BMF probably. Universally loved 100%.

oranos -

Records stacked on top of records. And really the only records that matter. Most wins, most finishes, most performance bonuses. The grand slam of UFC records.

Yes there are more exciting names, yes there are fighters who can put more ass in seats and sell PPVs. Is there anyone who has been as consistently dominant as Cowboy in his UFC career? Only Jones and Silva really come to mind. I'm not speaking about strictly winning. I'm talking about consistently putting on exciting fights.

I think that to OP, he may subjectively be the best fighter in the UFC. 

Yeah, I think he is. But I'm a shameless Cerrone nut hugger. I really wish he could figure out how to turn it on from the opening bell, especially in title fights.

He hasn't been a dominant fighter. Tough with a ton of wins but he hasn't dominated his opponents. And at no point in his career has anyone said he's the best in his division. No one is going to argue he's the GOAT except the OP

He's lost to pretty much every top fighter he's fought and was finished by most of them. He's a good fighter, but nowhere near the best. I'd say he's been ranked between 4-7 for most of his career. 

Consistency And longevity at the highest level, like what Cerrone has done, holds more weight than winning a belt, for me. Guys have won belts and come and gone, to stick around and keep beating the top ranked guys is what makes a legend.

Cerrone in my eyes is a TRUE fighter and that is more important than being the BEST fighter. A true fighter fights even when the odds are that he will lose. Cerrone would take short notice fights, back to back fights, etc. Fighting at least 3x a year and on top of all that making weight. These are all objective points.

thetouchofdeath -
Doc_Watson -
Fahqhard -
DirtyLickinsBrah -

Where was he at vs Tony?

You saying Gaethje's level is equal to Tony? I know, MMAth, but come on! 

ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

No. Objectively the most busy really good fighter.

This.