Chimaev vs Gilbert Burns April 9

6 Likes

2 Likes

Khamzat Chimaev has agreed to fight former UFC welterweight title challenger Gilbert Burns on April 9.

Chimaev (10-0 MMA) last competed at October’s UFC 267 event, where he needed less than a round to dispose of ranked welterweight Li Jingliang. That contest was Khamzat’s first since September of 2020, where he had scored a sensational 18-second knockout win over Gerald Meerschaert (see that here).
As for Gilbert Burns (20-4 MMA), the former UFC welterweight title challenger most recently competed at July’s UFC 264 event where he earned a unanimous decision victory over Stephen Thompson.

After reports of a potential ‘Chimaev vs. Burns’ matchup first surfaced in November, “Borz” recently took to social media where he revealed that he and “Durinho” have agreed to throw down on April 9.

1 Like

Gilbert wins. If Homzai Chee My ev wins, I think that will make him an instant title contender. But he wont.

1 Like

That should be a great fight.

6 Likes

Neil Magny is Invisible

7 Likes

How do you think Gilbert wins? Standup? Grappling? Chimaev will be bigger and stronger and with the better wrestling.

2 Likes

Huge step up for Khamzat. Gilbert is a BJJ world champ and has hands with power.

Will be interesting to see how easy it is for Khamzat to take him down. I’d imagine he will but I can’t see him finishing Burns on the ground.

5 Likes

Dilbert doesn’t make it out of the 1st round

5 Likes

I think Gilbert has more power on the feet and the ground fighting I believe Gilbert holds an edge in. Not saying Terrorist face doesn’t have a chance, but I think the power and BJJ will be too much for halm zai

Chimaev via better wrestling and standup. Great match…it might even test his cardio.

2 Likes

Great fight and a big step up
No idea who wins but I’m excited for it

5 Likes

ttt

Great matchup. Very interested in seeing how it plays out. If Burns hasn’t lost a step since his last fight, I think he might be too much for Chimaev

1 Like

tee

This. Cumshot doesn’t want any of that smoke.

Neil magny is boring points fighter, and a bad matchup

Burns gets it. Unlike Edwards…

If he wins, hell if he just performs super well, he gets fans, stays relevant, more chances to get another title shot, etc. Edwards remain unknown to most fans, no matter that he has been #3 for ages. Bravo.

1 Like

Burns is a great matchup, this is finally a test for khamzat, Edward? Knew they were supposed to fight but who is he? Is he a nobody like khamzats first few guys I never heard of?

He is ranked accordingly and can wrestle. That’s why wannabe Conor keeps avoiding