Chiyonofuji Mitsugu, The Wolf (sumo)

I started getting into grand sumo a bit recently. Watched a bunch of videos about the sport and modern competitors, then a video popped up about Chiyonofuji who looked a bit different. Great wrestler and dude looks like I would expect many sumo wrestlers would if they dropped from 50% to 15% body fat.

4 Likes

Yeah!! My favorite Sumo! E.Honda from the Streetfighter game was based on hiim.

3 Likes

Wwfwm-yokofatality

3 Likes

IMG_3908

Akebono

1 Like

2F97785900000578-3372554-image-a-22_1450908797874

1 Like

220px-Sumo_May09_Baruto

1 Like

Why are you posting sumu wrestlers? This thread is about sumo.

I wasn’t aware of the difference.
And made it a non WFA thread by posting some MMA/sumo crossovers

Also E Honda FTW

2 Likes

Not WFA. You might as well post some judu while you are at it.

Hey Boyd, I think they are referencing one of the early ufc broadcasts. The guy with Jim Brown says “he is trained in Sumu and Judu” or something like that.

1 Like

They used to have sumo on tv in the uk on a Sunday morning when Chiyonofuji was competing.

He was awesome to watch as he was a big muscular dude while everyone else was a huge fat guy and he used to just manhandle them like prime Kerr.

Has there been anyone else like that since?

1 Like

They use to broadcast it on Eurosport in the 90s

2 Likes

I just started following sumo so can’t say for sure. Asashoryu might be the most similar I’ve seen as he is/was both dominant and an interesting character. Certainly not the same category of body though :wink:

1 Like

That Mike Tyson of sumo video is great.

6ft tall and 260-280lbs. Guy was a stud.

6 Likes

These are awesome. I know Tochinoshin was never the most technical, but he was super fun when he had 2 knees. Now that he’s pretty much on 1 leg he’s not as good, but still holds his own. He’s not like the wolf, but it’s awesome to see him just lift everyone.

1 Like

The best…Akebono.

Piston Honda could have knocked all of them out though…

1 Like

I enjoyed watching that very much thank you for sharing it!

1 Like

The first video has some great content. Interesting to see the training and hurdles he overcame.

These videos didn’t cover it but in another one he talks about not taking improving seriously enough early on in his career, just being fine with maintaining his rank. I think that may explain the number of losses on his record. Obviously a switch flipped at some point.

1 Like