choosing a school

Smart man Morgz wish I could do that but too far of a ride to do at lunch

nzakl - I would choose the closest club. If you plan to train 2-3 times per week, the closest location will save time and money.

Not necessarily, and remember that you get what you pay for. Quality of instruction is worth a few extra dollars if you want to learn the right things. If you are just looking to get in shape or something like that, take up running. You can do it outside and with no fees. If you are looking to train BJJ, you pay for what you get.

CJJScout - 
nzakl - I would choose the closest club. If you plan to train 2-3 times per week, the closest location will save time and money.

Not necessarily, and remember that you get what you pay for. Quality of instruction is worth a few extra dollars if you want to learn the right things. If you are just looking to get in shape or something like that, take up running. You can do it outside and with no fees. If you are looking to train BJJ, you pay for what you get.

While I think travelling 1 hour each way to train under a famous BB is the best option for a newbie. I still think it is not practical at this stage of development. He is better off spending time with his wife that driving to the far club.

At the beginning, the closer club would be a better option.
Of course, there will be the problem of outgrowing your local club skills.
But that just a different story, most people would quit by blue anyway.

nzakl - 
While I think travelling 1 hour each way to train under a famous BB is the best option for a newbie. I still think it is not practical at this stage of development. He is better off spending time with his wife that driving to the far club.

1. We're talking about 20 minutes, not an hour.
2. You won't find better instruction even if you were to drive an hour from where he is.

CJJScout - 
nzakl - 

2. You won't find better instruction even if you were to drive an hour from where he is.

well that was my original point:
20 minutes to training instead of 1 hour is my first choice.

CJJScout - 
nzakl - 

well that was my original point:
20 minutes to training instead of 1 hour is my first choice.

LOL

This threada took a very confusing turn.

Hijacked!! gotta love the way you Creighton guys represent

Yes, Scout has never forgiven me for the pic with Kyra!

All of the schools are good...we are biased at Creighton, but it's a great atmosphere, everyone works on helping each other out whether it be BJJ or MMA. Being older myself (not nearly as old as NCAA92!) I'm never gonna fight, but like to push it every once in a while, and Creighton's has a great atmosphere for that.

Also, thanks Bull in China for the compliment. I felt the same way about your guys up there at Fairfax JJ. Y'all have a great school and I hope to visit again.

Guero411 - Yes, Scout has never forgiven me for the pic with Kyra!

All of the schools are good...we are biased at Creighton, but it's a great atmosphere, everyone works on helping each other out whether it be BJJ or MMA. Being older myself (not nearly as old as NCAA92!) I'm never gonna fight, but like to push it every once in a while, and Creighton's has a great atmosphere for that.

Also, thanks Bull in China for the compliment. I felt the same way about your guys up there at Fairfax JJ. Y'all have a great school and I hope to visit again.
Talk about a thread hijack....how did this all of a sudden turn in to my age

supertrucker - Hijacked!! gotta love the way you Creighton guys represent

We just want you to be one of us  :)

That sounds pretty romo

Here is a pretty solid endorsement of Paul's wrestling instruction.  This is from a GrazieMag article that has already been posted elsewhere on the UG.  Article source:  http://www.graciemag.com/news/144/ARTICLE/15362/2009-08-23.html

Just prior to this year's ADCC, Cobrinha looked to tighten up his takedowns and takedown defense for the tournament:

(the following quote was from Jacare)

"Cobrinha didn’t let the extra load impede his training for the ADCC. He’s doing some violent training here, and he’s getting ready to do great in Barcelona. I called on Paul Creighton, a former student of mine, Paul Creighton, who is now a Renzo black belt and a sensational wrestler, is sharpening up Cobrinha’s takedowns."

Morgz - 

BEEP!

supertrucker - 
Morgz - 

BEEP!
You did read the post about how much Morgz likes the shower at Paul's :)

one of the big selling points for me!!