CJJ Worlds is coming. Good or bad for the sport?

https://instagram.com/p/BSZGVkTAeJN/

Are there standing strikes too? Kicks?

Do they have the same overtime rules as your ebi tournaments?

Cool, but I kinda like the old rules (mma gloves) better.

Great!!!!

CJJ Flat Worlds, IMO.

shen -

CJJ Flat Worlds, IMO.

I love Shen. 

shen -

CJJ Flat Worlds, IMO.

Lol

shen -

CJJ Flat Worlds, IMO.

ippon

I kid.

But, actuallly I think having a lot of different rule sets and formats --such as this one-- makes jiu jitsu better. IF everyone always trains for the exact same rule set, you start to see a lot more gaming of the rules where less "realistic" strategies start to dominate. It keeps jiu jitsu more flexible and realistic to have different rules.

shen -

I kid.

But, actuallly I think having a lot of different rule sets and formats --such as this one-- makes jiu jitsu better. IF everyone always trains for the exact same rule set, you start to see a lot more gaming of the rules where less "realistic" strategies start to dominate. It keeps jiu jitsu more flexible and realistic to have different rules.

agreed - i've been teaching a vale tudo styled guard game the last few weeks and it is interesting how many advacned students have no idea how to defend against basic punches on the ground.

Even light strikes really bursts peoples bubbles on how tough they are

shen -

CJJ Flat Worlds, IMO.

Top 5 Shen posts of all time, IMO

Great ttt

Shen makes good points about he multiple rule sets. Anything that makes BJJ more practical is good for the sport 

hey guys really important that i lay out i think every expression of jiujitsu is cool and great to whoever is doing it BUT if the purpose of CJJ is to evolove the art as a combat its missing the mark

from what i saw CJJ is just MMA "lite" and even a step below the rules of pankration or combat sambo which take the BJJ's practitioners main problem into account

the transition from striking range to ground position

thats its straight up most high level BJJ fighters who can get it to the mat do fine but the majority take tons of damage in the attempt so it CJJ just to see who is the best ground slap fighters or a new additon to EBI cool but its not the best way to have well rounded fight skills

imo

I'd rather see it with full pancrase rules including the shinpads speedo's and rope escapes but this'll do.

I quite enjoyed the 4 man tournament at ebi 11

looks pretty cool. would watch. maybe less leg pretzeling.

the problem is the lack of takedowns and transition ability in most submission guys also the rules.. if you shoot to pulling guard and cant tap the guy in the time frame odds are you lose via judges..

but eddies new cjj format is cool and a nice touch to the ebi setup

Loved the first event but my only question is why no strikes in overtime?  Seems like it would only make it more exciting 

As others have said, it's great to have alternative rulesets out there. From an audience perspective, I'd rather watch Combat Sambo as I think it's a more exciting combination of striking and grappling.

James

i can do without it