Coker And Gilbert Strike Back with New ‘Fight Night at the Tech’ MMA Event

4 Likes

@Nick_Diaz_Army

4 Likes

Scott Coker is back in business for himself following the sale of Bellator to PFL.

Bellator isn’t dead — it continues to operate as a somewhat separate entity due to various broadcast contracts. But Coker left as the promotion’s president after the sale in November 2023, and has been largely silent since.

Now we know what he’s been working on. The Tech CU Arena in San Jose, California just announced a series of events titled ‘Fight Night at the Tech’ that will take place at the 4200 seat venue.

“With a history rich in combat sports, San Jose hosted the first ever sanctioned mixed martial arts event in California when the Scott Coker-led promotion Strikeforce held its inaugural fight night at SAP Center in 2006,” a press release read. “That history continues with FIGHT NIGHT AT THE TECH, a promotion in which Coker will serve as Executive Producer.”

1 Like

Will watch

5 Likes

Why does Nate look 3 inches taller than his bro? Lol

2 Likes

He’s probably got shoes on while nick is barefoot

3 Likes

Will attend

4 Likes

Good point

As is everything I say

6 Likes

Finally all the old UFC names will have somewhere to go after they become old Bellator names!

:rofl:

3 Likes

Dont forget PFL
McTTT

2 Likes

Oldies atm

dracula dead and loving it GIF

4 Likes

I’m just glad Coker is still supporting the SJ MMA scene.

I was so disappointed that after his Strikeforce and Bellator promotions put on several events every year there… that PFL/Bellator after the purchase announced their schedule with not a single event there and no plans to come back soon.

And same with the UFC they have abandoned that hotbed too and haven’t had an event in over a decade! Coker keeping it alive will always get my support.

5 Likes

If nobody schedules there is it really a hot bed?

What changed in the area? Has the scene gone the way of Faber’s Hobbit MMA? Has AKA gone downhill there?

California was massive for MMA, it’s weird if nobody is booking anything outside of LA anymore.

Agreed. I loved going to the SJ Strikeforce cards. Fun and entertaining.

2 Likes

Well if it isn’t hotbed anymore it definitely WAS a hotbed then lol

It was Coker’s homebase for Strikeforce and Bellator with a ton gyms nearby like AKA, Team Alpha Male, The Stockton scrap pack with each of their own offshoot gyms, Gracie and 10th planet schools…all the cards had prelims filled with local talent from them. There’s a ton of gyms but as far as bigger shows it’s definitely cooled off now which has been disappointing.

4 Likes

Definitely well familiar with that old scene.

Guess I was more asking what the deal is these days.

It’s almost like after all the popularity and success of the Diaz brothers, Alpha Male, AKA, Frank…nobody came up behind them to fill in the void when they left.

2 Likes

What changed is a good question. Personally I think the UFC avoided the area in the past because it was Coker territory and they had their own more established markets for themselves already like Vegas. But I think Coker not being in charge of a major promotion hurt the areas MMA scene lately even more which is why I will be giving this one full support.

I hope it comes back. LFA has started to put on events not far from San Jose in Santa Cruz which has been really cool. Went to both of those with the last one last Friday which was really good for a regional show.

2 Likes

Might be something to that.

Some Dana bullshit about not wanting to go where Coker was well established because of course Dana is above anything Coker does!

1 Like

Dana certainly talked a lot of shit on Coker in those leaked texts that came out recently calling him a bad promoter lol

1 Like