Conor has a chance of dethroning Aldo

RedaJaNai - Look it sounds cliché but anything can happen in MMA and maybe McGregor will beat Aldo.

But the 'we haven't seen his ground game yet so he HAS TO be sooo good and underrated' argument is just dumb.
Does McGregor have a solid ground game ? Probably. Is Aldo's ground game light fucking years ahead of Conor's ? You bet your ass it is.

I can see where people are coming when they think McGregor has the stand up tools to pose problems to Aldo and I do agree with this but please stop making a mockery of yourself by comparing his ground game to Aldo's.
I would say Maias ground game was miles ahead of Andersons. Didn't do him much good though. Same for shields against many of the welterweights he lost to in the UFC. Conor is huge for that division. The assumption he can be taken down and kept down is a big one. Phone Post 3.0

Jody - A long reach and good footwork can go a long way. I disagree that Conor will be able to handle himself on the ground, though. Lots of world champion BJJ fighters in Nova Uniao, and Pedernairas & Alexander do not give away black belts.

I don't think that it will get to that, though. It all comes down to whether or not Aldo can land leg kicks on Conor. There will either be a knock out for Conor or Conor will need a cane to walk with the next day.

Eddie Bravo told a story recently that when Conor was in town for promo duties he dropped in at 10th Planet/Tapout to get a sweat up on the heavy bag but ended up also rolling with some of Eddie's best guys.

Long story short: Conor is ridiculously strong for his size and very tricky on the ground.

^^^ Think this is it. http://severemma.com/2015/01/audio-chael-sonnen-and-eddie-bravo-talk-conor-mcgregor/

Eddie is also picking Conor over Aldo.

Of course he does. Its retarded to think connor has no chance. Phone Post 3.0

I think McGregor wins.
But then hell lose his title to Edgar. Phone Post

businessbhoy - 
RedaJaNai - Look it sounds cliché but anything can happen in MMA and maybe McGregor will beat Aldo.

But the 'we haven't seen his ground game yet so he HAS TO be sooo good and underrated' argument is just dumb.
Does McGregor have a solid ground game ? Probably. Is Aldo's ground game light fucking years ahead of Conor's ? You bet your ass it is.

I can see where people are coming when they think McGregor has the stand up tools to pose problems to Aldo and I do agree with this but please stop making a mockery of yourself by comparing his ground game to Aldo's.
I would say Maias ground game was miles ahead of Andersons. Didn't do him much good though. Same for shields against many of the welterweights he lost to in the UFC. Conor is huge for that division. The assumption he can be taken down and kept down is a big one. Phone Post 3.0

The difference is Maia and Shields are both studs on the ground but lack skills striking-wise; when you only have one way to defeat your opponent it becomes tricky.

Aldo on the other hand can threat with both his striking and his grappling. I'll give you that McGregor is probably stronger tho I feel Aldo is too technical, experienced and well-rounded on the ground for Conor to handle.

Mountain Biker - Conor is going to TKO aldo, imo. He's too strong on the ground for aldo....and I think he gets the better of aldo on the feet. I think he stuns him with a punch, drops him, and mounts him to a TKO.

He'll then defend the belt 1-2 times and move up to LW. Him vs Pettis will be an incredible fight Phone Post 3.0
This is what could happen and if he beat Pettis and jones has a loss all of a sudden people are loosely throwing around GOAT as they do.
Just trying to clarify my original post.
I'll check in about 6 years time and decided if I'll throw around goat. Phone Post 3.0

Sure he has a chance but not a big one Phone Post 3.0

SensoriaUtopia -
kodiskerns - I agree with buggy up I saw Jones becoming champ before anyone else and I'm seeing the same with Mcgregor, poorer and siver are no joke and he embaressed both of them same as jones had destroyed Hamill and bader Phone Post 3.0

You saw Jones becoming champ before anyone else? That may be a strech, you probably mean you could tell Jones was gonna be champ early in his career, and many many people could tell.

After what particular Jones fight you saw where you thinking Jones was gonna be champ?

And your thread title is correct, Conor does have a chance against Aldo, but I think Aldo wins in a lopsided dec or a late round tko. I think Conor will have a nice first round, maybe even win that round, then Jose get's better as the fight goes. I know usually it goes the other way with him, but for this fight this is the feeling I get.
After his fight with Bonnar , Vera and even tho he lost against Hamill technically I just saw that he did to them what others couldn't and same with Conor I don't think Aldo would of finished Siver as easy or wrecked Pourier in the first round like he did. Conor has some legit skills and Aldo just seems bored and has to many miles on him his time is up Phone Post 3.0

bungee up -
Mountain Biker - Conor is going to TKO aldo, imo. He's too strong on the ground for aldo....and I think he gets the better of aldo on the feet. I think he stuns him with a punch, drops him, and mounts him to a TKO.

He'll then defend the belt 1-2 times and move up to LW. Him vs Pettis will be an incredible fight Phone Post 3.0
This is what could happen and if he beat Pettis and jones has a loss all of a sudden people are loosely throwing around GOAT as they do.
Just trying to clarify my original post.
I'll check in about 6 years time and decided if I'll throw around goat. Phone Post 3.0
Can't see Conor being the GOAT he won't even crack top 10 but Weidman beat Silva and people don't think he will be the GOAT same thing with Conor he's going to be the GOAT Featherweight but that won't surpass what aldo has already done and he will loose it to someone who's style beats his Phone Post 3.0

I think Connor will win, but Aldo is a beast. Can't wait for this fight. Phone Post 3.0

I am debating on buying a ticket for this hype train. Will see if it will derail with everyone on it.

http://i57.tinypic.com/szaalz.jpg

bungee up - I'm on the McGregor train.
I stated before the siver fight I was on the siver train ( I love a underdog) but siver did everything I expected from him him in that fight. He went forward unintimidated ( I think poriea was) and showed his true underrated stand up skills and got blasted by the best cross I've ever seen in mma
After getting out classed.
I don't claim to know everything as I have a hard time picking winners but I can definitely see McGregor whooping Aldo and if he beats a good wrestler Edgar he isn't to far away from being GOAT
I know how stupid that sounds but I did see Jones coming waaaayyy before others and it pissed me off almost that they seemed like they were holding him back.
His path to the title IMO was easier than McGregor
Btw I'm only saying goat because its being thrown around a lot with JJ which there is a good argument for but I still think AS/fedor hold that due to duration
In short I'm a believer and at the very least I think he's a no1 pound for pound sooner than people think Phone Post 3.0
Oh my god Phone Post 3.0

I truly believe it's gonna come down to wrestling. I think Aldo will try to wrestle Conor, and he just might be able to. I believe Conor can really hurt him standing, he's a southpaw, so his power left is gonna be right there to land on Aldo, and Aldo's power leg kick will somewhat less effective against the southpaw stance. Plus Conor is the much bigger man, and has the reach advantage. I think Aldo will wrestle him. Phone Post 3.0

Mountain Biker - Conor is going to TKO aldo, imo. He's too strong on the ground for aldo....and I think he gets the better of aldo on the feet. I think he stuns him with a punch, drops him, and mounts him to a TKO.

He's too strong on the ground for Aldo…!?

You really don't know much about BJJ do you.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jose-aldo

Educate yourself

Love this fight, not sure I care who wins. Should be bad ass. Phone Post 3.0

The bookies are picking Conor. The odds are very close, and the line opened close.

If the bookies thought Aldo was a sure thing, they'd have opened Conor as a longshot and grabbed the sucker money. They didn't

Bobby Lupo - The bookies are picking Conor. The odds are very close, and the line opened close.

If the bookies thought Aldo was a sure thing, they'd have opened Conor as a longshot and grabbed the sucker money. They didn't

I can't find any bookies picking Conor!? Link me I want to make some money.

SpecialGuest -
Mountain Biker - Conor is going to TKO aldo, imo. He's too strong on the ground for aldo....and I think he gets the better of aldo on the feet. I think he stuns him with a punch, drops him, and mounts him to a TKO.

He's too strong on the ground for Aldo…!?

You really don't know much about BJJ do you.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/jose-aldo

Educate yourself
Ummm.. Credentials don't mean shit in mma, if you've paid attention to the sport over a long period, you'd know that. Plenty of high level BJJ guys have been beaten on the ground. Heck, Aldo himself has been dominated on the ground by Homnick. Phone Post 3.0

SpecialGuest - 
Bobby Lupo - The bookies are picking Conor. The odds are very close, and the line opened close.

I can't find any bookies picking Conor!? Link me I want to make some money.

They're not outright picking him, but setting the line so close leaves little incentive to bet McGregor in the fight.

From a bettor's perspective, Aldo is the play to make: a proven commodity at close odds over a bit of an unknown.

5 Dimes: McGregor -110, Aldo -130

That's insane.