Cop could use a little grappling training

KidJustice -

JSMHP - Cops aren't suppose to choke people so that's why he didn't regardless that is just yet another example of the deficiency in police DT.

You should not comment on what you do not know. It was not a choke it was a vascular restraint and cops are allowed to do it.

And before you get all uppity. I have 20 yrs of experience in teaching police DT tactics and taught at the Federal level at FLETC for 2 yrs.

i have been in law enforcement 28yrs & have arrested 100's of individuals & i am always disgusted how the vast majority of my colleagues on all levels of law enforcement completely ignore the need for consistent training.

i have been training jiu jitsu for over 10-yrs in central NY w/an amazing instructor & have repeatedly offered the opportunity to others to train but few ever even give it a try.

no excuse in my opinion. if u know u'r in a job where u have a high likelihood of physically restraining a combative person, u need to prepare. we have a great facility close to 4-prisons & surrounded by state police barracks & city police agencies yet have fewer than a handful of cops, CO's or parole & probation officers.

it's ridiculous.

I work in what amounts to a Mental Hospital and because of my BJJ and Wrestling training I'm sure at least once or twice a month it saves a violent and resisting individual from getting hurt. Also as far as my safety, my boxing defense and footwork is usually all i need, shell up (unless its a chair coming my way) and then take the back when there is an opening. I have also uchi mata'd a few people when they have had an inclination to bite me or stab/strike me with something in their opposite hand.

LMFAO AT THE COP NOT PULLING DEEPHALF TO A WAITER SWEEP TO A DARCE FROM HALF FROM THE TOP, LIKE DOES HE EVEN TRANE 

1. Cops can't choke unless it is deadly force. If they can't shoot you they can't choke you.

#2. Grappling is different when a gun is involved. Trying some fancy technique that allows a suspect to grab your gun is a sure way to end up dead.

DakenTattoo - #1. Cops can't choke unless it is deadly force. If they can't shoot you they can't choke you.

#2. Grappling is different when a gun is involved. Trying some fancy technique that allows a suspect to grab your gun is a sure way to end up dead.

choke rules vary from agnecy to agency.... they are looked down upon in Iowa.

good point on the weapon situation.

i don't think he did all that bad....did any of you see any blood on the floor? did he injure himself or the suspect? IMO, he was just holding on to him, because he knew the guy would wear himself out, and that his backup was en route. yeah, he could've done some cool throws, but every time i've thrown someone where the surface wasn't a mat, they went to the hospital and i had to sit around waiting on them. also, nothing he did came across as brutal or "excessive," so from a public standpoint, that PD doesn't look like a bunch of thugs.

sgotwalks - Holy fucking nit picker grappling snobs in this thread. The cop needed no help, and was never in trouble. Whoopie doo if he didn't have Iowa State form on the gound, he did fine.

yup.

besides, we don't know the circumstances of the arrest, either...

ryanJ - 
Mike_in_CA - And figures nobody helped.

Interesting point...my first inclination would be to jump in and help, but would a cop actually want that? (I have no idea...any cops shed some light on the question?)

if i was getting stomped on i prolly wouldn't mind, but in this situation i don't want anything else to concentrate on.

it's not uncommon for cops to get jumped on by someone else's buddies, but if you were to help, i'd suggest asking if he needs help and specifically what he needs you to do.

embarassing police work there, wrecked the whole shop by pushing and pulling the guy into everything, then had obviously never even heard of hooks or a body triangle, had him in a choke for about 3 weeks and couldnt choke him out

The cop seemed to be in shape but has no grappling experience.

If your a cop you should be taught how to grapple as part of the training..... cops should be made to train as part of the job..It makes sence.

A cop like that could accidently kill the guy because he dose not understand what is safe and what is not..... it seemed to me the choke he was employing was an air choke and that can be a dangerous choke to do if you dont know how much pressure to use.

Always go for the blood choke never an air choke!

A blood choke is more effective and safe if you know how to use it...... You can be taught it in 5 minuites!

Graemeo - embarassing police work there, wrecked the whole shop by pushing and pulling the guy into everything, then had obviously never even heard of hooks or a body triangle, had him in a choke for about 3 weeks and couldnt choke him out

have you ever grappled with a gun belt and body armor? maybe the idea of a friggen' body triangle might not be so sweet then....

and he wasn't choking the guy...he had his arm wrapped around his neck with his hand on his shoulder. he was controlling his body without letting the guys head smash into stuff, i.e. keeping from the guy from getting hurt too bad.

i'm surprised by all the armchair quarterbacking, but i guess i shouldn't be...

if he KO'd the guy with one punch then people would be crying about that. if he hip-tossed the guy and KO'd him people would cry about that.

from some of the comments you guys are posting, you clearly don't notice that the cop is almost always in a dominant position, and he's just waiting him out.

for those of you that don't do this for a living, you need to realize it's not a friggen' game or competition.

Lord Humoungous - "JSMHP - Cops aren't suppose to choke people so that's why he didn't regardless that is just yet another example of the deficiency in police DT.

You should not comment on what you do not know. It was not a choke it was a vascular restraint and cops are allowed to do it.

And before you get all uppity. I have 20 yrs of experience in teaching police DT tactics and taught at the Federal level at FLETC for 2 yrs."

Ya JSMHP why comment on something you don't know?!!!LOL ;)

What do you do for a living anyway to even comment on that!!?

Not like your a Gracie Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt and teach Tactical Defense stuff to Miltary and Police..NOOB!!..Geesh..LOL

If he is a GJJ blackbelt and he is calling that a choke he needs to go back and rethink what he is teaching. It was a fight and the cop was using a  lateral vascular neck restraint which may be allowed by that cops dept. It was banned for a while but has been making its way back into the defensive tactics arena.

Also an officer can use the hold if he feels that he is at risk for having deadly force or serious bodily harm done to him. 

Words are what get you in trouble in the court. Call it a choke and the prosecution will be all over your ass. They will have the jury believing you strangled the guy. 

I apologize for dropping the hammer on JSMHP but I get mad when guys put things in the terms of "can't" for a cop. If you think you "can't" on the street you wind up dead.... You can do whatever it takes if it is a deadly force encounter.

sgotwalks - Holy fucking nit picker grappling snobs in this thread. The cop needed no help, and was never in trouble. Whoopie doo if he didn't have Iowa State form on the gound, he did fine.

Iowa State? I think you mean University of Iowa. 23-time NCAA Champions.

Mike_in_CA - Seems like he could have dumped him few times.

Maybe you should not talk about stuff you don't know about. 

The gym where I used to trane was filled with cops. I would love to see the unsuspecting skels run into them.

Schmohawked - 

Iowa State? I think you mean University of Iowa. 23-time NCAA Champions.

Iowa State's pretty badass too...i mean, it's just where Dan freakin' Gable wrestled. no big deal.

The officer did a good job. My concern was when he finally tackled the perp to the ground, it looked like he almost smashed his head through the glass doors.