Cormier Told To 'Step In, Win The Title, Retire Again

https://www.mmanews.com/news/daniel-cormier-told-win-title-if-ufc-superstar-win-heavyweight-belt

Alex Pereira may have all the hype around him after becoming UFC light heavyweight champion last month, but Tristar Gym owner and head coach Firas Zahabi isn’t buying in completely.

With his win at UFC 295 on November 11, Pereira became just the ninth fighter in UFC history to win gold in two different weight divisions. In fact, Pereira has achieved that feat in two different sports and organizations, having previously been the middleweight and light heavyweight champion under the GLORY Kickboxing banner.
No UFC fighter, however, has ever won titles in three different weight divisions. If Pereira were to move up to heavyweight, could he be the first?

Zahabi: Cormier Should Come Back If Pereira Wins UFC Heavyweight Championship

Zahabi gave his thoughts on Pereira’s heavyweight potential in recent a YouTube video, admitting that he doesn’t give Pereira a chance at accomplishing three-division glory.

Zahabi said that if Pereira were to ever square off against Jon Jones, the fight would be a quick win for the current heavyweight kingpin. And if “Poatan” were to win the heavyweight title, Zahabi implied that Daniel Cormier could come out of retirement for a fight and win the title once again.

“If Jon Jones was in the picture, it would be a quick one-rounder — one-and-a-half rounds max, two rounds, at best, on Pereira’s best day,” Zahabi said. “If Pereira wins the fight, Cormier’s got to step in, win the title, retire again. That’s what I would do.”

Zahabi doesn’t seem to have much confidence in Pereira’s abilities for a true takeover of the UFC’s 205-pound division, let alone heavyweight.
In the video, he continuously refers to Pereira as an “interim” light heavyweight champion. While this could have simply been an error, Zahabi seems to be claiming that Pereira is only the champion if Jones never competes at 205 pounds again.

“Alex Pereira is the interim champion. That’s an official championship — he is the champion of the world,” Zahabi said. “If Jon Jones is still active and competing, in my mind, he is the champ.”
Prior to winning the UFC heavyweight title earlier this year, Jones dominated the light heavyweight division throughout the 2010s.

Despite seeing reigns end or disappear for controversies that included failed drug tests and a hit-and-run, Jones defended the championship 11 times between two official reigns.

Jones holds multiple records in the division, including the longest rule as UFC light heavyweight champion, most wins in 205-pound title fights, and the most successful title defenses in the weight class’ history.
Jones vacated the light heavyweight title in 2020 to move up to heavyweight. He is expected to defend the belt against Stipe Miocic — a fight that was originally booked for UFC 295 before Jones tore his pec — in 2024.

Pereira, meanwhile, is expected to defend the light heavyweight title against former champ Jamahal Hill, though that situation may get complicated with his recent domestic violence arrest.

Jones isn’t fighting in the division, hasn’t for years, never will again, looked like garbage his last few times in it, but he’s still the 205 champ because he’s “active”. Zahabi is a fool.

2 Likes

why is zahabi talking about this?

1 Like

Cormier’s last win was in 2018 and after that he had back surgery and 2 losses before retiring in 2020 and gaining 200 lbs. Don’t think his body can handle a comeback, tbh.

3 Likes

So Pereira is the champion. Jones will never make the effort to get to 205 again. Not after it took three years to put on ten pounds of fat.

1 Like

that’s how you know he’s trolling

I would love to see DC come back and take that belt. I don’t see it happening though

Zahabi knows more about mma than pretty much anyone else on the planet. Anyone calling him a fool should probably look long and hard at themselves

He also said Eddie would beat Conor

he also said current porkoid version if DC could train back to a championship standard. it’s been years of hot dogs and french fries for that athlete.

Take GSP out of the picture and I doubt anyone would be talking about Zihabi

That’s every coach to be honest.

Take Frankie Edgar out of the picture no knows mark Henry. Take Tyrone spong out, no one knows Henry hooft. Take McGregor out of the picture no one would know the Irish guy who never stops shamelessly self promoting.

If had seen Eddie sparring for that fight he wouldn’t have thought that.

I will say this, there was a knowledge among people who really know mma that McGregor, although incredibly accurate with his punches was being spoon fed opposition that he matched up well with.

Most of the trainers, fighters and knowledge fans were pretty sick of McGregor and were hoping he would lose and maybe that fed into his pick. I was already very sick of McGregor vy the time that fight was booked.

1 Like

According to the emails being released from the UFC antitrust case, that’s a lot of fighters.