Could Matt Hughes beat Rickson on the ground?

That wasn’t prime Nick that was young Nick

1 Like

so was sherk

1 Like

Sure Hughes steamrolled Royce. That was by far the worst physically Royce ever looked. He was older and I think really messed up the weight cut. He looked so frail.

Hallman, BJ, Charuto, Newton all gave Hughes plenty of trouble on the ground. By all accounts Rickson was miles ahead of all of them. The only people that want to discredit Rickson are the people that never trained with him. Is there a single person with first hand experience to ever come out and say he was anything other than unbelievable? Anyone? Ever?

Sure his record is lacking, but you can’t just dismiss all of the reputation.

I think Hughes was smart enough to keep the fight standing, work within the rules and get a decision. The question though is whether Hughes beats Rickson on the ground. I say not a chance.

4 Likes

He’s the #2 all time at WW.

3 Likes

I remember Nick losing a lot of decisions he should have won during that time.

1 Like

That fucking joe Riggs fight

Where did you see someone saying Royce or renzo was beating rickson back then?

What made rickson is when Royce, in an interview stated rickson was 10 times better than he.

Rickson stopped training Royce because rorion blackballed him, royler being the only brother to ignore it.

Rickson claims he beat rolls ONCE

2 Likes

And they’d all get destroyed by a competitive purple belt today.

lol London is not Buzz Berry’s home town, he’s from the North East

the fight looked very suspicious but i heard Ken was very ill with food poisoning. he gave a very convincing performance at the press conference; but folded the second he was touched. not a work, just a puzzlingly shit performance.

1 Like

Ken layed down watch it he wasnt even hit

who would ? Not Rickson Renzo and Royce

2 Likes

same country either way ken was not hit and layed down

The response was to all the people that are claiming that Royce, Royler and or Renzo are better fighters due to their records. Most people are are looking at UFC or Pride fights as their source.

There was a ton of fighting, training, and rolling before any of those fights. Royce, Renzo, and Royler were not superior fighters. They all got their ass handed to them by Rickson and it isn’t even close. This includes, fighting, gi, and no gi. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but some things are facts.

Rickson was not made because of a Royce interview. Rickson was made by hard work, training, and being several steps ahead of his opponent. He forces a tiny mistake, and he never loses that advantage. Then he uses that to get the next advantage, until you’re too far behind and he finishes you. The average layperson who never trained can’t tell the difference just by watching, because it’s not big and spectacular like a knockout. This is what made Rickson great, it wasn’t necessarily his Jiu-Jitsu. His technique is simpler than many grapplers, it’s the way he applies them.

Rickson actually has a pretty good right hand too. People that trained with him known this.

When Rickson quit training Royce for whatever reason (family politics) he never looked the same.

Rickson beat Rolls. Rolls trained Rickson quite a bit among others and the younger student started to surpass the teacher. As a teacher that is precisely what you want. The next generation to get better.

I personally don’t care whether people think Matt or Rickson is better. I think Rickson is better. People are more than entitled to their opinion. The misconception though that Royce, Royler, and or Renzo are better because of what you see in the UFC, Pride, or Vale Tudo on the surface may make sense to a lot of people. It’s just not true though. Rickson was markedly better than all of them and everyone in the family knows it. Those who trained with them saw it first hand. It is common knowledge. There is a difference and it’s not a small difference.

4 Likes

Looked like he attempted some kind of sliding entry to a leg lock and accidentally curled/drug his toes on the mat. Rich was swinging at the same time.

Ken didn’t execute well.

1 Like

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

2 Likes

Looks more like acting

I’ve seen people that dominate in the gym but don’t win shit in competition or fights.

1 Like

Rickson has only lost once in competition in sambo BUt thats got to be BS cause he wrestled and Im sure has lost if he wrestled

The forum has chosen Matt Hughes and Mario Sperry to beat Rickson, is there any other threads like this that I’m missing

1 Like

well, he showed he was hurt the punch before and decided to stop when he was slightly clipped.

I’d love to go back in time, send them both to a health farm for six weeks, ×10 their pay day with a 100k win bonus… and watch that match healthy and motivated