Could Matt Hughes beat Rickson on the ground?

Lolz

1 Like

Rickson vs Rigan Machado 1986. 3 min 40 sec.

2 Likes

Not to be rude, but what exactly would he do with it? Outside of a few Melanson gimmicks, what have we ever seen anyone do with a cradle?

Also Schultz is on a completely different tier of grappling from Hughes.

1 Like

How rude!

Sure he’s another level but speculation with a few real data points are all we’ve got. So maybe Hughes could get there. And he probably would know more paths to submission from there than a submission-green Schultz.

2 Likes

I doubt he got much to take a dive against berry.taking dives ruins the integrity of the sport

Rickson has never lost

1 Like

Wrestlers have that certain oomph…

…that bjjers just don’t…

3 Likes

One thing I did notice in “Choke” was that Rickson punches for maximum effect - no pitter patter stuff from him.

2 Likes

Quality of opponents has something to do with it. If you can totally dominate someone can can easily tee off.

1 Like

Melanson? More like Mrs. Toughill

Prime Matt was a very, very bad dude. Total psycho who loved hurting people, strong as an Ox. He subbed GSP. Sure, he has his losses to BJ and other killers.

I honestly don’t bet against him at 170 in his pure prime against anyone. He can win or lose.

2 Likes

What about Dennis hallman I’d consider betting on him depending on the odds

Good luck

I know Hallman beat Hughes twice but I think he would have less of a chance of beating Rickson. Hallman would try and get into a sub competition with Rickson and I think Rickson beats him.

I do think Hughes would fight Rickson like he did Royler

Agree with everything and I’m kind of messing around bcs those losses lead to Hughes becoming way better but Hollmans style matched up well with Hughes

1 Like

True, because they’re trying so desperately to prevent a takedown, or they’re in a bad position that requires them to protect.

Good point.

1 Like

It’s actually laughable that people call into question Rickson’s bravery. The Gracies of that era were gangsters, literally. Compared to Matt Highes and the guys at MFS, Zulu, Hugo Duarte and Yoji Anjo were mediocre fighter at best, but the guys of Hughes’ era wouldn’t be who they were without tough motherfuckers like them who were willing to go and have no rules fights with guys like Rickson. The fights with Duarte and Anjo were deadly serious and although in retrospect, they don’t seem overly tough compared with many of their contemporaries, they were very tough and brave. Those fights were not to the tap, they were until the winner decided he wanted to stop beating you or choking you or breaking your limbs. People want to go back and criticize Rickson or question his ability, it’s whatever. He didn’t fight the top guys, that’s true. But Royler, Royce, Renzo Roger (and many others) have legendary achievements as high level, competitive grapplers and mixed martial artists. They say Rickson was the best by far. Btw I’m not a Gracie fan. I don’t train at a GJJ affiliate and I typically rooted against the Gracies in MMA. I also always found Royce to be very unlkable at seminars and Roylers seminars to be shit. But to suggest Rickson was anything but a scary motherfucker is silly. Of course if you fight you are in the scary motherfucker business so it’s a matter of degree. Dan Henderson (for example) fought everyone who they put in front of him. Rickson it seemed was more concerned about GJJ and building his brand than being a prizefighter with a great legacy.

2 Likes

Matt Hughes wouldn’t even beat a prime Diaz on the ground, let alone a prime Rickson fucking Gracie

IMG_8705

1 Like

I think he would unless he was rocked

I mean Sean Sherk was able to beat Nick, no reason Hughes couldn’t

3 Likes