Could Matt Hughes beat Rickson on the ground?

I don’t know I think the Tito loss was kind of a badge of honor, then Ken walked through Kimo.
If he had beat Franklin that would have been an explosive draw for Ken, and no shame on Franklin losing to a legend.

In reality, Ken was too far past it to make a real push.

But my point was financially, more Shamrock wins would have been good for the UFC.

Someone who I hold in great regard mentioned “Strength of technique” after he kicked my ass a few times.
Feeling and hearing those simple words was like reading the Tao of Jeet Kune Do the first time.

3 Likes

This thread derailed big time.

2 Likes

Like a Frate Trane.

1 Like

Rickson professes that strength is really base and posture.

2 Likes

Position over submission.
Basic structural mechanics.

1 Like

Anyone comment on training with Hughes?

1 Like

I tried to stop it…

But they kept going.

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

2 Likes

It’s an appropriate phrase.

1 Like

You might wanna re visit that fight. The only time Royce was doing alright was the walk in to the cage and the pre fight instructions. Once the bell rang it was all Hughes. I think he could have beaten Royce and Rickson at the same time that night. The only positive for Royce was that he didn’t tap out when Matt had his arm. That would have been even more embarrassing for him to get tapped out.

It’s a generational thing. Jerry West is a great player but he would get embarrassed by Jordan. It’s just the progression of the game

I know a guy who trained at a seminar with Matt. He was having issues getting out of halfguard lockdown so he asked Matt.

Matt had this guy put him in lockdown so he could feel what he was talking about.

“Just straighten your leg”

Matt just casually straightened his leg out breaking the lockdown and went back to whatever he was doing.

I don’t think you can teach the strength of 10 men or having hands the size of a gorillas paw.

7 Likes

Lol

He would’ve been beaten on the feet too, was just meaning he didn’t get into trouble yet. He didn’t get tagged up. But as soon as it went down, it went bad quick.

Yeah he said he was always in trouble & if I remember right couldn’t get his BB from his dad for a time because of it.

Even CombatJJ is a different game.

1 Like

Any like, non-anecdotal stories or like legitimate accomplishments?

I got to do one takedown with Hughes, but nothing else. It was very one-sided, and he was impossibly strong.

3 Likes

Hickson via anything he fucking wants.

Ok, but the thread is about Rickson.

He said he fucked your mom & while your dad watched in the closet. Gross.