Could Tyson Fury beat any UFC HW in the cage?

ragingshanebone - 
RichardGere'sMissingGerbil -
GladiatorGannon -
RichardGere'sMissingGerbil - 

Struve

Struve is a 280lb man with a brown belt in BJJ. Unless he doesn’t have enough wrestling skills to take down a man with NO wrestling skills, it’s going to be a short fight.

I’ve probably missed some performances where he’s used his ground skills. When I think of Struve I just remember instances of him not using his reach effectively on the feet.

Hes got a really good ground game.

And not guarding his face.

The Lion King - 
Gennady Goblin -
The Lion King -
GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let's be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he'd get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

That being said. Any good wrestler/grappler in the UFC beats him 99/100 times. 

So in a few months he’s automatically stuffing guys that have been doing it for years and years? Guys who are going to spend the same length of training camp working their takedowns?

Yes. Most a lot of MMA fighters have embarrassing wrestling and Fury would be stopping their takedowns with a few months training. 

No, he wouldn’t. Could he potentially stop 1 takedown attempt? I can see that. Would he be able to avoid the transition to another attempt? Nah. Would he be able to sustain a clinch without getting tripped? Nah. 

You can't go from 20-30 years of not defending takedowns, to suddenly being invulnerable to being taken down within 6 months. Fury has never been a 1 hit KO guy and when you're 7 feet tall with 8 foot long arms, there's not a whole lot of room in the cage. You know where you end up? Clinch. And from there, you end up on the ground.

I didn’t say he would be invulnerable to being taken down lmao I said he’d be able to stuff most bum MMA fighters takedowns.

Obviously Fury wouldn’t be stuffing takedowns from DC or Stipe. In fact at this age he would probably never get to the level where he could stuff a D1 wrestlers takedowns even if he trained the next 10 years. 

But most MMA fighters are not D1 wrestlers. Most MMA fighters couldn’t wrestle themselves out of a wet paper bag and Fury would have Greg Hardy level takedown defense within a few months. 

We’re not talking bum fighter’s, we’re talking the top 1% of fighters that get a UFC contract. Yes, even the bad wrestlers will have the skills to outgrapple the guys with NO wrestling. And if Fury gets a 6 month camp on wrestling, his opponent gets the same six months to work on his wrestling, to add to the years of grappling he did to make it to the big leagues.

The level of the grappling in the UFC is hardest thing for people who haven’t been there to understand, with punches you can clearly see if something is fast or not. If a guy are using the subtle things they learned over years of successful competition to shut down an opponent, people just assume his opponent has no skills at all.

2 Likes
GladiatorGannon - 
The Lion King - 
Gennady Goblin -
The Lion King -
GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let's be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he'd get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

So in a few months he’s automatically stuffing guys that have been doing it for years and years? Guys who are going to spend the same length of training camp working their takedowns?

Yes. Most a lot of MMA fighters have embarrassing wrestling and Fury would be stopping their takedowns with a few months training. 

No, he wouldn’t. Could he potentially stop 1 takedown attempt? I can see that. Would he be able to avoid the transition to another attempt? Nah. Would he be able to sustain a clinch without getting tripped? Nah. 

You can't go from 20-30 years of not defending takedowns, to suddenly being invulnerable to being taken down within 6 months. Fury has never been a 1 hit KO guy and when you're 7 feet tall with 8 foot long arms, there's not a whole lot of room in the cage. You know where you end up? Clinch. And from there, you end up on the ground.

I didn’t say he would be invulnerable to being taken down lmao I said he’d be able to stuff most bum MMA fighters takedowns.

Obviously Fury wouldn’t be stuffing takedowns from DC or Stipe. In fact at this age he would probably never get to the level where he could stuff a D1 wrestlers takedowns even if he trained the next 10 years. 

But most MMA fighters are not D1 wrestlers. Most MMA fighters couldn’t wrestle themselves out of a wet paper bag and Fury would have Greg Hardy level takedown defense within a few months. 

We’re not talking bum fighter’s, we’re talking the top 1% of fighters that get a UFC contract. Yes, even the bad wrestlers will have the skills to outgrapple the guys with NO wrestling. And if Fury gets a 6 month camp on wrestling, his opponent gets the same six months to work on his wrestling, to add to the years of grappling he did to make it to the big leagues.

The level of the grappling in the UFC is hardest thing for people who haven’t been there to understand, with punches you can clearly see if something is fast or not. If a guy are using the subtle things they learned over years of successful competition to shut down an opponent, people just assume his opponent has no skills at all.

I would bet on each UFC HW with a real training camp to beat Tyson Fury. But, I’m also confident that if Fury faced 10 HWs, he’d beat a couple in the same way that Mercer beat Sylvia.

He’d consistently be a big underdog. But, given the nature of HW MMA, he’d win at least once.

wiggum -
GladiatorGannon - 
The Lion King - 
Gennady Goblin -
The Lion King -
GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

I would bet on each UFC HW with a real training camp to beat Tyson Fury. But, I’m also confident that if Fury faced 10 HWs, he’d beat a couple in the same way that Mercer beat Sylvia.

He’d consistently be a big underdog. But, given the nature of HW MMA, he’d win at least once.

I think it’s unlikely, but we’ll within the realm of possibility that Fury could do a one off with the UFC and make a truck load of $. I’d rather see him fight Joshua (who I actually think would cross over better) but that’s an aside. If Joshua fought the right opponent and had a training camp with, say Roufus, he could absolutely have the potential to be successful imo. 

Acidic -

People forget Tyson without those giant gloves is going to be trash even In MMA Stand up.they rely heavily on giant ass gloves to defend and land punches 

Uhh you ever see tyson fight? Best head movement of any heavyweight boxer I've ever seen. He mades thet punchers in the world miss standing right in front of them.

You think a division that largely get starched by Derrick Lewis would be too difficult for Tyson? 

2 Likes
WrestlingSucks -
Acidic -

People forget Tyson without those giant gloves is going to be trash even In MMA Stand up.they rely heavily on giant ass gloves to defend and land punches 

Uhh you ever see tyson fight? Best head movement of any heavyweight boxer I've ever seen. He mades thet punchers in the world miss standing right in front of them.

You think a division that largely get starched by Derrick Lewis would be too difficult for Tyson? 

/thread