Could Tyson Fury beat any UFC HW in the cage?

PS  isn't this kind of like asking how an NFL kicker would do in a soccer match 

You think a 6’9 guy ducks punches? Saying boxing isn’t directly translated to mma is like saying wrestling isn’t directly translatable or judo or even jiu jitsu. Of course mma is its own sport with its own tactics but don’t get it twisted. High level boxers are dangerous fucking people who can fight like hell. 

buddie -

You think a 6’9 guy ducks punches? Saying boxing isn’t directly translated to mma is like saying wrestling isn’t directly translatable or judo or even jiu jitsu. Of course mma is its own sport with its own tactics but don’t get it twisted. High level boxers are dangerous fucking people who can fight like hell. 

Yeah but it is not about translation of skill as much as rule set. Or technique.  I just don't believe any boxer can come into the MMA arena and do well without 6 months of high level sprawl training ;)

He would fuck some of them up for sure.

TIm Sylvia vs Ray Mercer

You never know. 

buddie - 

Tyson is a smart guy when it comes to fighting. He'd do just fine given the right match-up. Being smart doesn't equate to necessary skill, but if he took a UFC fight, he could get with a camp to help him develop avoid being pushed into the cage and how to use strategies to reduce the risk of being taken down.

Unfortunately, the right match up is to fight someone that doesn’t have the years of grappling experience the guys in the UFC have. The right match up is a guy from the minor leagues that doesn’t have skills he doesn’t have an answer for yet.

No, he'd get taken down n beat up like Randy Couture did to James "Lights Out" Tony, props to Tony for bein the only boxer that I kno of that talked shit but stepped up n fought an MMA fighter under MMA rules, I'd respect Fury if he stepped up but I doubt he would

Gennady Goblin - 

I feel like people who ask these questions have never watched boxing. 

Boxers are good at the sport of boxing, which is not simply punching hard and fast with good technique. There are aspects of boxing that are ingrained in boxers that would lead to disaster in an MMA fight. For example, clinching is a huge part of boxing. Large portions of fights split their time between staying at range, or being engaged in a clinch. The amount of boxers who actively pursue up close phonebooth fighting without reaching for a clinch is very small, and getting smaller year by year. When you've spent your entire life being taught that you can latch onto an opponent and grip them tight, and it will result in a referee separating the fighters....that's a death sentence in MMA. 1 clinch, the boxer is down, the fight is over. 

Any boxer has a puncher's chance. Against the right opponent, AKA an incomplete or cocky MMA fighter, certain boxers would have an excellent chance to score a nice KO. If we're talking about what's going to happen 99 times out of 100? 1 clinch and it's done.

I think Gennady is missing a piece of the puzzle. The taller guys are wrapping up when the shorter infighters get in, the short guys are mostly trying to avoid getting wrapped up so they can finally land their shots. They’ll end up in clinches a lot regardless due to fighting at short range, but they’re not moving in and taking that abuse with the goal of hugging the guy, you’re trying to get in and land as many punches as you can before you get wrapped up.

Non N00B -
Joshinho -
ClydeErwinBarret -
Gennady Goblin - 

I feel like people who ask these questions have never watched boxing. 

Boxers are good at the sport of boxing, which is not simply punching hard and fast with good technique. There are aspects of boxing that are ingrained in boxers that would lead to disaster in an MMA fight. For example, clinching is a huge part of boxing. Large portions of fights split their time between staying at range, or being engaged in a clinch. The amount of boxers who actively pursue up close phonebooth fighting without reaching for a clinch is very small, and getting smaller year by year. When you've spent your entire life being taught that you can latch onto an opponent and grip them tight, and it will result in a referee separating the fighters....that's a death sentence in MMA. 1 clinch, the boxer is down, the fight is over. 

Any boxer has a puncher's chance. Against the right opponent, AKA an incomplete or cocky MMA fighter, certain boxers would have an excellent chance to score a nice KO. If we're talking about what's going to happen 99 times out of 100? 1 clinch and it's done.

Oh yeah, like when Tim Sylvia was flatlined by a 48 year old Ray Mercer.

OP’s question was asking if there’s anyone in the roster he could beat - and I’m sure there is. the HW division is rarely stacked. Like who is Ciryl Gane? With 6 pro fights at 30 and is ranked 13. I’d put money on Fury.

That Mercer vs Sylvia is a terrible example of a “boxer doing well in mma” did Sylvia try to take him down once? 

They also had an agreement not to kick before the fight, a super fat and unmotivated downward spiral Sylvia threw a lazy nothing kick and Mercer landed a bomb. Mercer also shot a takedown while Sylvia was on the way down too, not typical for a "boxer"

I didn’t know about the no kick agreement, I guess Sylvia got what he deserved but yeah, he’s not the best guy to represent MMA in a boxer vs mixed martial artist fight. 

Tyson Fury could beat anyone on roster in the cage as long as they wore a 40 pound suit for their walkout. It wouldn't hurt if he could get a coach to drug their water either. 

Any? Maybe someone but not any... ??

GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let's be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he'd get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

That being said. Any good wrestler/grappler in the UFC beats him 99/100 times. 

So in a few months he’s automatically stuffing guys that have been doing it for years and years? Guys who are going to spend the same length of training camp working their takedowns?

Yes. Most a lot of MMA fighters have embarrassing wrestling and Fury would be stopping their takedowns with a few months training. 

There is no HW that a HW boxer cannot KO in the UFC. Fury would KO all of them during a stand-up exchange. 

The chances of that happening is relatively low. He is still athletic enough to potentially create better situations than Toney but obviously he loses most times. He would never be the favourite but in a hundred random MMA fight scenarios I can see him winning 15 due to KO prior to ground exchange. So almost a 2 in 10 chance. 

Anyone who uses Jameson Toney’s performance vs a former world champion and 3x Olympic alternate / NCAA wrestling champion As a measuring stick for boxers is being naive. Toney fought as an amateur at 154 and won his first title as a pro in 1991. Despite having huge wins at heavyweight he could no longer get fights in a generally barren division. Everyone knew going in that James was damaged goods, to the point he was hardly able to hold a simple conversation. He was used as a prop by the UFC. A younger guy who took fighting seriously like Marcus Davis would do just fine.  Of course it’s a different sport. Everyone recognizes that.

Always the same answer to the same question, he’s not beating any top ufc guys in a mma fight, of course he could ko people in the first exchange, same way Ngannou or JDS could ko him in a boxing match, but if you could run it through a simulator he’s losing 99% of the time, even with adding kicks,clinch, small gloves with no ground game he’d strill be out of his element 

The Lion King -
GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

Right now? If he stepped in with 0 training then probably not outside of a punch in the first 15 seconds or someone choosing to not wrestle at all. 

But let's be real if Fury decided to step into the UFC he'd get at least 3-6 months to train wrestling which would be enough to get him to where he could stuff the takedowns of most bum UFC heavyweight strikers and crush them on the feet. 

So in a few months he’s automatically stuffing guys that have been doing it for years and years? Guys who are going to spend the same length of training camp working their takedowns?

Yes. Most a lot of MMA fighters have embarrassing wrestling and Fury would be stopping their takedowns with a few months training. 

No, he wouldn’t. Could he potentially stop 1 takedown attempt? I can see that. Would he be able to avoid the transition to another attempt? Nah. Would he be able to sustain a clinch without getting tripped? Nah. 

You can't go from 20-30 years of not defending takedowns, to suddenly being invulnerable to being taken down within 6 months. Fury has never been a 1 hit KO guy and when you're 7 feet tall with 8 foot long arms, there's not a whole lot of room in the cage. You know where you end up? Clinch. And from there, you end up on the ground.

USADA D1CK Pills -

He could beat any HW that doesn’t take him down 

Kicks?

Gennady Goblin -
The Lion King -
GladiatorGannon -
The Lion King - 

No, he wouldn’t. Could he potentially stop 1 takedown attempt? I can see that. Would he be able to avoid the transition to another attempt? Nah. Would he be able to sustain a clinch without getting tripped? Nah. 

You can't go from 20-30 years of not defending takedowns, to suddenly being invulnerable to being taken down within 6 months. Fury has never been a 1 hit KO guy and when you're 7 feet tall with 8 foot long arms, there's not a whole lot of room in the cage. You know where you end up? Clinch. And from there, you end up on the ground.

I didn’t say he would be invulnerable to being taken down lmao I said he’d be able to stuff most bum MMA fighters takedowns.

Obviously Fury wouldn’t be stuffing takedowns from DC or Stipe. In fact at this age he would probably never get to the level where he could stuff a D1 wrestlers takedowns even if he trained the next 10 years. 

But most MMA fighters are not D1 wrestlers. Most MMA fighters couldn’t wrestle themselves out of a wet paper bag and Fury would have Greg Hardy level takedown defense within a few months. 

Yes. Tim Sylvia was better than some UFC heavyweights when Ray Mercer beat him. It’s heavyweight, so things are different. One punch is legitimately all it takes and heavyweight isn’t stacked with talent.

bbomber - 

There's a LOT of heavyweights with zero takedown ability, even in the UFC. 

He smashes all of those guys.

Yeah.

Tim Sylvia was a former world champion and Ray Mercer KOd him.