Could you beat a pro boxer?

Lol @ you guys that think you could beat a top pro boxer. Pro boxers can punch through titanium with a single jab. They can throw 5 million power punches a second.

Is it really fair to compare an elite boxer to somebody that just trains in grappling? If so shouldn't we be comparing somebody who just trains in boxing to an elite grappler?

I bet if you went to a boxing forum and asked nobody boxers if they could beat elite grapplers they would say yes. They would probably also say they could avoid the takedown by just standing there and jabbing. I have actually heard someone say that.

TTT

Do you guys think Gan McGee, Arlovski and Tim Sylvia fight much differently than boxers? It seems to me they always keep the fight on the feet and mainly throw punches especially Sylvia and McGee. After seeing McGee's boxing last night, I'm not sure how he was a championship contender at any point.

I'm not saying that boxers could beat these guys, but I'm just wondering if you guys see a big difference.

buddie

I would go for a double leg slam, then I would GnP the boxer. I would expect to get punched once or twice going for the takedown.

yeah

Michael Carbajal, junior flyweight, once broke a cops jaw, who was 6 feet tall, and one of the charges was assault with a deadly weapon(his right cross). Even though these guys are small they're hella quick and if they hit you right on chin, it's lights out.

Lol at being charged with assault with a deadly weapon from a punch. Urban legend dude...

Im sure there are some guys in the 100lb division I could fuck up.

i could probably beat any non heavyweight boxer as long as it was in a kickboxing match.

Da Swede, excellent point about boxers' toughness. I wouldn't even try to guess how many "tough guys" I've seen come into the gym over the years, saying "I wanna box" only to quit after their first sparring session.

Boxing hurts. You meet any man who's boxed (not "cardio" but really boxed) for any length of time, I can assure you that he's a tough son of a bitch.

He may not have much in the way of skills, but I guarantee you he is a physically and mentally tough, extremely determined man. Not an easy assignment for your average forum member by any means.

Yes.

"Lol at being charged with assault with a deadly weapon from a punch. Urban legend dude... "

Dude, it's common knowledge that if a professional boxer hit someone with a closed fist, the boxer can be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon". Or am I arguing with a little kid?

The myth is actually "having to register your hands or feet" etc. Anyone can be charged with assault with intent to kill or assault with a deadly weapon by using their fists not just boxers or TKD experts.

buddie

This is a serious answer from someone who trains at a boxing gym. No way in hell.

Boxers are conditioned as hell, strong, fast and can hit hard and often. Boxers can quickly turn people who don't know how to transition into the clinch. A pro boxer with decent footwork will plant two/three on your chin/head and good night.

Even with a little MMA training, you are talking about a pro boxer. He won't be naive to an attempt at taking him to the ground. I saw a guy I train with in a fight (he's only an amateur) and he smashed two guys (yeah multiple opponents!!!) pretty fast. Broken teeth, swollen eyes and asswoopin's a-fly.

I'd rather try the 130 lb. guy

ya I could take one out - if I jumped him from behind while he was on medication and sleeping then I think I could take one out. Get real, the town I work in has a boxing ring and some retired pros come down and help out and thier speed and power is great. a ranked boxer has speed and power that is unreal!!!- yes if you could take him down you might stand a chance to survive, but you might take a HELLA shot coming in, and most of the keyboard warriors on this site would wake up in the hospital after getting hit like that-

ttt

"Street fight = very different from boxing. I think your boxing skills may count for a bit but not much in a street fight."

So according to MAf, boxing, wrestling and submissions are all totallt ineffetive on the street.

Tell me bro, what the hell does work on the street?!?!

I fought a pro boxer in my very first "amatuer" mma fight. I had no idea of his background or training beforehand. The fight starts and i go in for the clinch. I try to take him down and eat five punches flush to the face. I hook his ankle and get him down. At this point my nose is broken and I have several small cuts on my face. I get his leg and go for the heel hook, he taps out. I was very lucky, if he had better ground defense i would have left on a strecher.

martialartsfan would brutally knock punchdrunk out. Punchdrunk's sport boxing may work in the ring, but I would bet on martial arts fan's more realistic training for a street encounter.