Crossfit

Anyone have experience with Crossfit? Any benefits for mma?

Crossfit just opened a gym in my area and I'm wondering if it's worth my time.

Shut your face turducken. That is all.

Crossfit has worked well for me.
I practice BJJ and hike mountain
trails all over the world. I am
able to keep up with experienced
athletes in both categories. Now,
according to Dan John's standards,
I am a weakling. :) Luckily I was
able to talk my coach into adding
a big lift into our program once
per day. So, we may do a 5x5
front squat at 75% max and then
do a typical Crossfit style workout.
Best to take a class and get a feel
for the chemistry of the place.

I SWEAR TO GOD

if someone makes one more fucking crossfit thread...

turducken - ok, read this: http://greyskullarticles.blogspot.com/2009/10/recently-ive-received-lot-of-emails.html

damn great article, and site.

NeoSpartan,if you don't want to hear about crossfit, stop reading the threads. So sick of dick heads commenting when they don't need too. I haven't posted here in awhile and don't feel like searching the past threads.

Jared

ps being a member here doesn't entitle you to be an asshole.

Here's another thread about crossfit:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=24&thread=1532235&page=1&pc=42

1- fucking relax
2- You didn't have to search if you just SCROLL DOWN there are 3-4 other crossfit threads that all rehash the same topics.

Neo,

Don't need to relax...just want people who have nothing to contribute to stay away. So tired of individuals like yourself commenting when they should just shut their mouth. I appreciate you not commenting anymore since you having nothing to benefit my thread. Thanks for nothing.

Jared

LMAO all of the Crossfit haters trip me out. They will literally find any reason to hate on it, rational or not. I'm not sure if its because it has become mainstream and it makes them feel special to hate, kind of like with music. Anyway these are some of the arguments you will hear from the haters:

1. Crossfit is ineffective for men and makes them look puny because they don't lift as much of their bodyweight percentage as the women do. Answer: Crossfit Strength Bias/Crossfit Football for heavier weight workouts while still maintaining some conditioning.

2: Crossfit is not effective for sports and there are better programs out there. Answer: Crossfit by definition is a broad, inclusive GENERAL physical preparation program. It is up to you to then convert that into Sport Specific.

3: Crossfit is too random. You generally won't know what workout you will be doing until that day. Answer: This is probably the most valid argument for people who want to train another sport while doing crossfit. I have found that with some adjusting you can still fit Crossfit in while training another sport. If I plan to train hard in my sport that day I will adust my Crossfit by scaling down to a lighter weight and working efficiency and economy of motion. If I plan to hit a Crossfit WOD hard then I will adjust my training later that day to just technique/movement or light rolling/sparring in my sport.

4. Crossfit is just too much/too intense to train with another sport. Answer: Scale back in one or the other on a particular day. It isn't rocket science. You will have to make adjustments if you have not done Crossfit before. I have seen some people 2-3 years in that can do damn near every WOD as prescribed and still have something in the tank for another activity but again it takes a while to get to that point.

5: The certification of the level 1 trainers is a joke. Answer: You are absolutely right and I concede this point. If possible you want to find an affiliate with a level 2 trainer as the certification standards for that actually mean something. This isn't to say that all level 1 Crossfit trainers are a joke because I have seen some amazing level 1 trainers that are incredible athletes and great trainers but just have not gone for a level 2 cert yet. It really is a mixed bag so beware of this when checking out the affiliate. The main thing you want is good instruction on lifts, will they be correcting your form and technique so you don't injure yourself.

Anyway, in my personal opinion Crossfit is great at what it was designed for, building General Physical fitness. It is up to the user to decide what they want to do with that and make adjustments accordingly. My recommendation would be try to find a level 2 trainer in your area. If not available check out the level 1 and decide for yourself at that point. I would recommend starting at 2-3 days a week if you are training MMA as well. If you plan to fight I would start making adjustments a couple weeks out to move from GPP to SPP. Scale down to 3 days a week around 4 weeks out. Around 2 weeks I would just train MMA for a fight at that point and then resume Crossfit after.

Holy shit lurker troll alert.

"I would recommend starting at 2-3 days a week if you are training MMA as well. If you plan to fight I would start making adjustments a couple weeks out to move from GPP to SPP. Scale down to 3 days a week around 4 weeks out. Around 2 weeks I would just train MMA for a fight at that point and then resume Crossfit after."

This is exactly why Crossfit sucks for any athlete. You have guys like this who have no clue about how to use periodization and training blocks

Instead you modify it by scaling the workouts wich is useless for any athlete except for an absolute beginner

Crossfit is great if you want to get in shape. For Crossfit. Nothing more, nothing less

Madman - Neo,

Don't need to relax...just want people who have nothing to contribute to stay away. So tired of individuals like yourself commenting when they should just shut their mouth. I appreciate you not commenting anymore since you having nothing to benefit my thread. Thanks for nothing.

Jared

Jared,

Not to be a prick, but Neo is right on this one. Xfit gets discussed here CONTINUOUSLY and it would have taken literally less than 60 seconds to find many other Xfit threads.

Had you had specific questions regarding Xfit, their programming, the use of particular lifts, benchmark workouts, or anything like that, that would've been one thing. But to just ask if "Anyone have experience with Crossfit?"...come on man. That shit would've been VERY easy to find had you just looked a little.

Wiggy

Wiggy - 
Madman - Neo,

Jared

Jared,

Not to be a prick, but Neo is right on this one. Xfit gets discussed here CONTINUOUSLY and it would have taken literally less than 60 seconds to find many other Xfit threads.

Had you had specific questions regarding Xfit, their programming, the use of particular lifts, benchmark workouts, or anything like that, that would've been one thing. But to just ask if "Anyone have experience with Crossfit?"...come on man. That shit would've been VERY easy to find had you just looked a little.

Wiggy

I agree

Leigh - I don't have a problem with Crossfit but I don't see its purpose, other than a group setting for regular joes who want to work out

Athlete - no good cos its not specific enough
Non-athlete - they can just lift weights and do cardio. No need for kettle bells and gymnastic rings

But as I said, if you just want to work out in a social environment and have no goals other than improving your FRAN, I'm sure it will fit the bill

^This

There's no practical advantage to doing crossfit.

It may even be a poor general fitness program for beginners who lack cardiovascular fitness. The volume of straight cardio work isn't sufficient for noobs to build a base.

HarryLime - It may even be a poor general fitness program for beginners who lack cardiovascular fitness. The volume of straight cardio work isn't sufficient for noobs to build a base.

What is the base of aerobic fitness bullshit you speak of? Blasphemy!

It's good in that it will force you to work areas that you normally avoid, and learn new exercises. You might need to tweak it a bit in terms of more lifts or more cardio. I am not a fan of the various diets associated with it personally, I still eat a lot of carbs (low GI).

It's a good program that gets a lot of flack it seems to me mainly because they don't lift huge poundages...big frickin' deal.

What would be the main reason then, the random nature of the workouts? Or something else?

Some people think that doing back-intensive lifts as fast as possible with shitty form could lead to injury.

Some people think Crossfitters are wimpy because the only good workout for "real men" is the old Arnold-style bodypart split weight training, who cares if you can't jog 400 meters without having to stop to catch your breath.

Some people wonder why they do plain old sit-ups for abs when many sports science researchers say they are a poor exercise for strengthening the abs/core. Planks, cable wood chops, pikes off a stability ball, etc. would make more sense.

Some people wonder what it means do do a "Crossfit" workout when most people don't do the Workout of the Day, and many don't even do a scaled version of it.

Some people don't like the fact that the organization allows people to open Crossfit affiliate gyms after a two-day "certification" that doesn't test the participants on their knowledge. The Crossfit people suggest that the good gyms will survive and the bad gyms will disappear because of the natural operation of the market. However, thousands of people have wasted millions of dollars and some have gotten injured by unqualified trainers before all the bad gyms close. No one seems to mention this cost of the "market."

You can find the other reasons by doing a search for "Crossfit" in this forum.