DAMN SON! Sugar Ray was a BEAST (VID)

Amazing Phone Post

boxing wiz - The heat beat Ray that fight, not Maxim. When the ref is TKO's in the 11th due to exhaustion, you know it was a tough day at the office. Ray succumb to the heat a few minutes later, in a fight he was way ahead. Ray also weighed under 150 Lbs fighting for the 175lbs title.

Bullshit. The weight advantage is valid, the heat excuse is laughable.

"n the wake of this ordeal, Maxim, a fighter who felt he always had to struggle for recognition, claimed he had once again been shortchanged. "So Robinson fought in a heat wave," he said sarcastically. "Do you think I had air conditioning in my corner?""

The beating he put on Jake Lamotta is one is the worst I've ever seen. It's also insane for someone like Jake to eat that many shots as you can see in the op's video how hard he hits. Phone Post 3.0

Imagine being hit by his left hook, damn. I winced just watching that....

VU

Epic body shots there. Dude was decades ahead of his time. Phone Post

Truemanc3 - When he got beat by Maxim..... Robinson gave away 15lb and he lost because of the heat it was well over 100 degrees that night the referee collapsed due to heat exhaustion aswell.

Robinson was well ahead on points up until he succumbed to the heat.

So basically what you are saying is he was overrated and had been beating up cans?

That is after all the future of every fighter according to these forums ;p

pharochuck -

he would get a lot of leverage on that left hook. great all around fighter, technique, speed, power, defense. as complete a boxer as ever lived

Jesus yes. It looks like it was lifting his own feet off the ground. What a killer. Phone Post 3.0

HoldYerGround - 
pharochuck -
HoldYerGround -  It's amazing how different the boxing style was back then. Boxing like that today would get him laid out, it's not surprising to hear that he got cracked in his day, but damn could that guy sling leather. Phone Post

what? are you talking about the hands down? what gave you the impression that his style would be all bad today? 5'11 at welter with that speed and power would be unfair even today. martinez fights with his hands down because of his speed and has dominated middle for several years now. robinson had some of the fastest hands ever, but you can see hit sat down on his punches to make them even more powerful. in the last 50 years, the only guys at welter who could have challeneged him has been leonard, hearns, they would have been rangy enough and fast enough wih power of their own to challenge. at middle none. he would have owned hagler and hopkins. hagler had trouble with fast guys, that could also move and give angles. hopkins just doesn't measure up. de la hoya, trinidad, floyd, curry, rjj, none of the other guys who fought at 147-160 in modern times would have beat him 

TBH if you're looking for a "what if" discussion I'm not your guy. Phone Post

DAMN, the balls on this kid! Presents a "what if" scenario to a knowledgeable senior poster, gets owned, then declares he's "not your guy" if you're looking for a "what if" discussion.

If you don't want a "what if" discussion, don't start one. If you get owned, just bow out gracefully, don't pretend you didn't start the discussion quoted in black and white right above me.

5 o clock shadow - If you look at it from Bernard Hopkins perspective, Sugar Ray just isn't Black enough to best a fighter like Mayweather. Now don't get him wrong -Hopkins isn't talking about RACE. He's talking about CULTURE. Mayweather has that in your face, "I'm using offense to make defense, because I am waiting to counter" speed chess fencing African American of boxing that Sugar Ray Robinson just never had.

fos

I don't think a lack of speed was Sugar Ray Robinson's problem. And Sugar could certainly counter, it's that he would frequently get bored and knock you out with blazing offense while waiting to set up his counter.

This is a "has it all" kind of fighter, who can choose which way he's going to beat you.

Check out this film of him when he was a young welterweight in 1946. At welterweight he was an absolutely unbeatable. A ferocious killer in the ring.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAUaUDjlcCk

vtfu

GOAT

Perhaps the most perfect fighter ever.

The left hook he knocked out Fullmer with was about as perfect a punch as you can ever see - perfect timing, blinding speed and bone-breaking power.