DAMN SON! Sugar Ray was a BEAST (VID)

he was the man

Rabid Bunyip - One of the goats Phone Post 3.0
THE goat Phone Post 3.0

He had everything he was loose with speed power endurance timing footwork strategy and psyche.

Apparently he was a chronic worrier before the fight which he used to make himself train harder.... once in the ring all that disappeared.

He could box a slugger and slug a boxer... very few have even come close to him imo.

DAMN. What a beast. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for sharing! Phone Post

When he got beat by Maxim..... Robinson gave away 15lb and he lost because of the heat it was well over 100 degrees that night the referee collapsed due to heat exhaustion aswell.

Robinson was well ahead on points up until he succumbed to the heat.

ttt

smags -
Dominique Robinson - What song is that? Phone Post 3.0
Crystallised by The XX Phone Post 3.0
Thanx Phone Post 3.0

a couple minutes into this documentary and it looks solid! 

I'm going to finish it after the NFL games today. Go Broncos!!

RJJ>

He was beating Maxim despite the heat and despite giving up a lot of weight. Even in his losses he was showing greatness.

It's amazing how different the boxing style was back then. Boxing like that today would get him laid out, it's not surprising to hear that he got cracked in his day, but damn could that guy sling leather. Phone Post

You rarely see such vicious ko's today Phone Post 3.0

in

HoldYerGround - 

It's amazing how different the boxing style was back then. Boxing like that today would get him laid out, it's not surprising to hear that he got cracked in his day, but damn could that guy sling leather. Phone Post

what? are you talking about the hands down? what gave you the impression that his style would be all bad today? 5'11 at welter with that speed and power would be unfair even today. martinez fights with his hands down because of his speed and has dominated middle for several years now. robinson had some of the fastest hands ever, but you can see hit sat down on his punches to make them even more powerful. in the last 50 years, the only guys at welter who could have challeneged him has been leonard, hearns, they would have been rangy enough and fast enough wih power of their own to challenge. at middle none. he would have owned hagler and hopkins. hagler had trouble with fast guys, that could also move and give angles. hopkins just doesn't measure up. de la hoya, trinidad, floyd, curry, rjj, none of the other guys who fought at 147-160 in modern times would have beat him 

If you look at it from Bernard Hopkins perspective, Sugar Ray just isn't Black enough to best a fighter like Mayweather. Now don't get him wrong -Hopkins isn't talking about RACE. He's talking about CULTURE. Mayweather has that in your face, "I'm using offense to make defense, because I am waiting to counter" speed chess fencing African American of boxing that Sugar Ray Robinson just never had.

fos

Sub Phone Post 3.0

amazing

pharochuck -
HoldYerGround -  It's amazing how different the boxing style was back then. Boxing like that today would get him laid out, it's not surprising to hear that he got cracked in his day, but damn could that guy sling leather. Phone Post

what? are you talking about the hands down? what gave you the impression that his style would be all bad today? 5'11 at welter with that speed and power would be unfair even today. martinez fights with his hands down because of his speed and has dominated middle for several years now. robinson had some of the fastest hands ever, but you can see hit sat down on his punches to make them even more powerful. in the last 50 years, the only guys at welter who could have challeneged him has been leonard, hearns, they would have been rangy enough and fast enough wih power of their own to challenge. at middle none. he would have owned hagler and hopkins. hagler had trouble with fast guys, that could also move and give angles. hopkins just doesn't measure up. de la hoya, trinidad, floyd, curry, rjj, none of the other guys who fought at 147-160 in modern times would have beat him 

TBH if you're looking for a "what if" discussion I'm not your guy. Phone Post

Fedoral Crime - 
boxing wiz - I'm glad people who only have heard of him are getting to see what he was about. There is a reason boxing historians say he was the greatest. He was knocking guys dead with a lead hook before Roy Jones was every even conceived. He was the total package, and would have been every bit as devistating today as he was back then. Modern science and training techniques would have developed him into a unbeatable fighter.
He literally did knock someone dead with a left hook didn't he? Jimmy Doyle I think his name was.

I always heard people talk about SRR as being the GOAT but I kind of shrugged it off cos of how long ago he fought.

Its only recently after taking the time to watch a few of his fights and seeing how many titles he won that I realized how great he really was. He wasn't just a great boxer but he was a true champion and avenged most of his losses. Definitely the GOAT imo. Phone Post 3.0

He actually had a dream that he was going to kill his opponent, backed out of the fight, a priest talked him back into it, and then killed Jimmy days later.

A GOAT that can tell the future, no can defend.