Dan Henderson at Rings 32-man tournament (1999)

In 1999 Dan Henderson entered the Rings King of Kings 32 man Open Weight tournament in Japan

The tournament was stacked with some of the best fighters in the world, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Renzo Gracie, Jeremy Horn, Gilbert Yvel, Kiyoshi Tamura, Renato Sobral, Maurice Smith, Dave Menne, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, Valentijn Overeem, Alistair Overeem.

Henderson was one of the lightests fighter to enter the tournament. (90kg / 198lbs)

Tournament opponents:

A Block = Bakouri Gogitidze

A Block = Hiromitsu Kanehara

Final = Gilbert Yvel

Final = Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Final = Renato Sobral 

Video includes all Henderson's fights from tournament - unedited - ring entrances - pre / post fight interviews

Subbed Phone Post 3.0

TTT

As always Pro Ice bringing the awesome. Thanks for posting.

Pro Ice - 

In 1999 Dan Henderson entered the Rings King of Kings 32 man Open Weight tournament in Japan

The tournament was stacked with some of the best fighters in the world, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Renzo Gracie, Jeremy Horn, Gilbert Yvel, Kiyoshi Tamura, Renato Sobral, Maurice Smith, Dave Menne, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka, Valentijn Overeem, Alistair Overeem.

Henderson was the lightest fighter to enter the tournament. (86kg / 190lbs)

Tournament opponents:

A Block = Bakouri Gogitidze

A Block = Hiromitsu Kanehara

Final = Gilbert Yvel

Final = Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Final = Renato Sobral 

Hendo was @ 90 kg Ice (over 198) = full strength. Still the lightest man yes I believe

Thanks Lazer I will edit op 

Ice do you have Rings rules for those who wish to engage? If a much lighter fighter went to a decision the heaver fighter was at a great disadvantage in Rings. Round 1 with Nog was razor close to boot.

Just looked back and Renzo was the lightest man in tourny at 80kgs

Pro Ice - 

Just looked back and Renzo was the lightest man in tourny at 80kgs

LOL, almost a WW! Renzo & Hendo = warriors!

In Phone Post

Don't have the rules in writting, would like to find those

You're right that the heavier fighter was at a disadvantage if fight went to decision 

Not exact on how though, if the judges just factored this in or it was point deduction, ect

In Phone Post 3.0

Thanks!

VU thanks as always ProIce!

It's been a long time but I seem to recall that there was a stipulation that if there was a certain amount of weight discrepancy (10 kilos or whatever) that the lighter fighter automatically got the nod in the case of a 'draw' (time limit).

Did I make that up?

For those who were still kids when this happened; it was a VERY big deal because the payday for winning this tourney was like $100K or something, which at the time was the single biggest MMA payout to date.

And because of that money the tourney was crazy stacked with 'name' fighters literally from all over the world.

Dan won 200K

It was clear that there was a huge advantage to the lighter fighter and all knew that.

In! Thanks! VU !!! Phone Post 3.0

In!!!!