Dana says no to 5 round non title fights!

I was under the impression that title fights were exciting because they're for the title, not because they have two more rounds.

WTF? a year ago the UG was full of messages of how Dana was pushing for 5 and 7 round fights because that meant he'd have to pay for fewer fighters on a card.

3 and 5 is great. Fights are kept moving and boring matches can soon be forgotten. Say no to 5 and 7 rounders.

They should choose at the end of round three......

NoPlacebo - Nog vs Randy should have been 5 rounds. I can't think of a better example of a main event that counters Danas argument so well.
two legends that happen to be contenders.  we gunna make every contender ight 5 rounds now?

If they did it once a year maybe. For example if they do a big show, UFC 108 on Jan 2nd for example. Would have to be a worthy fight of course.

I think the main event should always be 5 rounds.

Even if a belt doesnt exchange hands the people care about seeing a good fight.

Chuck vs Wand would have been a great 5 rounder

Nog vs Randy

Rich Franklin vs Hendo would have been interesting to see another 2 rounds.

Dana is the man and right on the money with this decision.

It was great Nog an Randy went to a decision.

Two great fighters battling to the end.

Two great champions fighting to the final bell.

It was Nogs day. Two more rounds would not have proved anything.

All that two more rounds would have done was cause more damage to the fighters. Nobody needed to get KOed.

Same for the fight with Chuck and Silva.

Nobody needed to be KOed. The winner was obvious after 3 rounds.

Its a sport an guys dont need to be KOed an damaged badly to declare a winner

5 rounds should only be for championship fights...

Dont fix what is not broken.

Randy an Nog had a great fight as did Chuck and Silva. Those guys dont need to be damaged more than necessary.
It was nice to see those fights end with both guys standing tall in the center of the ring having gone the distance.

5 round fights will cause more damage an shorten careers.

Keep fights 3 rounds unless a title is at stake!

Great decision Dana!

i agree with dana on this one

Perhaps all Main Events, title fight or no should be 5 rounds?
Randy would still have undoubtedly lost last night, but I would have loved to see that fight go 5 rounds.

bam57bam - When asked a question about the 5 round non title fights in the post fight presser, Dana says he doesn't like them. He said if you make non title fights 5 rounds then title fights lose their luster.(Paraphrasing)He says he will not be doing them.

The UG needs to get on this and demand he rethink his position!

Why should we... its a stupid fuckin idea

Dana is right on this one. Think it would also clog up the show.

title fights are exciting cause a new champ can be crowned and its the champ against the top contender. 5 rounds isn't what gets me excited, you think Silva/Leites 5 rounds had me jumping up and down? lol

A lot of 5 rounders I find don't go the distance often anyways, and if they do it is one-sided beatdowns we saw happening after the first round like GSP vs. Alves.

I've always thougt that pro fighters of any type need at least a half an hour to display skills, heart, fighting spirit etc.

Mma is watered down compared to boxing in this regard.

And for those who tap out quickly to strikes or to submissions and say "I want to be able to fight another day" DEGARADE all types of fighting and aren't really fighter by definition. Fighter = a person who can handle resitance no matter how overwhelming it seems.

ttt for all mma bouts be LONGER than 5 rounds.

They have non-title boxing matches that go the full twelve rounds, and I don't think it takes away any of the luster when the title actually IS on the line.

I'm just sayin'...

BUFFGEO - 
bam57bam - When asked a question about the 5 round non title fights in the post fight presser, Dana says he doesn't like them. He said if you make non title fights 5 rounds then title fights lose their luster.(Paraphrasing)He says he will not be doing them.

The UG needs to get on this and demand he rethink his position!

Why should we... its a stupid fuckin idea

Im not saying every fight be a 5 rounder.
I think when you have a PPV card with no title fight the main event should be 5 rounds if between contenders. Thats all.
Doing that would add 3-5 extra five round fights a year. Not a big deal!

Get it done......

Poindexter - I think it should happen with superfights and bouts of extraordinary nature.

+1 and also with fights to determine the #1 contender of a division.

jjj2121 - 
NoPlacebo - Nog vs Randy should have been 5 rounds. I can't think of a better example of a main event that counters Danas argument so well.

Why? There was a clear winner in 3 rounds.

this... and dont say randy would of knocked him out in the 4th ro 5th.

I didn't read the thread, so someone may have said this already...

I think Dana should create a separate category of fights...He should bring in special five round "Super Fights" occasionally for fights like Couture vs Nogueira etc. And maybe even award the winner of a "super fight" with a nice UFC medallion or something, to add prestige.

Then he could bring in outside talent for one fight cash deals for these super fights. Like Fedor!

Funny. Without a submission or knockout, people want to get two extra rounds to "see what will happen". For other people, when the submission or knockout happens to their fighter, it was "lucky".